XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
AZX6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 35i

New Mods - Tint, Springs, and Paint...

Okay, the windows are tinted, the H&R springs are in, and most of the rough black plastic (including the grille) has been smoothed and painted. The wheels should be ready next week!

The springs definitely made the car feel more stable in corners, and didn't seem to effect the ride much. I sure like the decrease in fenderwell gap also.

Let me know what you think!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

Looks much better with the spring kit.

How much was the drop, 1.2"?? looks like you can do a 2" front from H&R but still only get 1" in the rear because of autoleveling??

I am definitely doing the drop it is a must for looks, great job!
2010 Alpine White X6 5.0 with Oyster Leather / Dark Wood Trim -- Sport Package with 20" Style 259 Wheels, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, 7RR Performance Pkg, Active Steering, Running Boards, Rear View Cam & Top view, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Comfort Access, Space Saver Spare, Sat Radio, Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZX6 View Post
Okay, the windows are tinted, the H&R springs are in, and most of the rough black plastic (including the grille) has been smoothed and painted. The wheels should be ready next week!

The springs definitely made the car feel more stable in corners, and didn't seem to effect the ride much. I sure like the decrease in fenderwell gap also.

Let me know what you think!
That's a great and clean looking car, I love the way it looks all same color and also the H&R springs helped a lot.
Got a question regarding H&R springs.
I do own an X6 3.0d but with no adaptive drive system, my car came with RF 19's and the factory springs bottoms easily, so I was thinking on some adjustable springs from H&R's or other top brand.
Im looking for a spring that will not bottom out so easy, how about yours ?
Also I'm switching to 20's same as yours in a couple of weeks, and I'm concerned if the ride will feel more stiff ?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
How is the ride vs. stock with the springs? I am thinking about doing this and also want to smooth and paint the black trim like you did. How much did you pay for the paintwork? I got an initial quote around $1800 and I thought it seemed too high.

Everything looks great and very clean!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
AZX6
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Got a question regarding H&R springs.
I do own an X6 3.0d but with no adaptive drive system, my car came with RF 19's and the factory springs bottoms easily, so I was thinking on some adjustable springs from H&R's or other top brand.
Im looking for a spring that will not bottom out so easy, how about yours ?
Also I'm switching to 20's same as yours in a couple of weeks, and I'm concerned if the ride will feel more stiff ?
Thanks in advance!
Not sure what you mean by "bottoms out easily"? Are you saying that the car actually hits the bump stops when you drive? If so, you have a problem that needs repair. The factory springs should never bottom out under normal circumstances. Maybe if you're jumping it?

You can probably purchase a set of adjustable coil-overs from someone, but be ready to spend at least $2500 + install, and you may end up with fairly harsh ride quality.

Our OE 20" tires are Dunlop run-flats and are not known to provide a very cushy ride. I'll be putting 22's on in a week or two, but I'm guessing that our ride won't suffer much because the Michelin Diamaris I'm going to use are not run-flats. I really like the handling characteristics gained with plus applications, so (to me) the slightly stiffer ride is an acceptable trade-off for the additional steering response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
How is the ride vs. stock with the springs? I am thinking about doing this and also want to smooth and paint the black trim like you did. How much did you pay for the paintwork? I got an initial quote around $1800 and I thought it seemed too high.

Everything looks great and very clean!
Thanks!

The ride is slightly stiffer, but nowhere near harsh. Under normal driving conditions, there isn't much difference. I really only feel the stiffer spring rate when going over larger bumps (speed bumps, etc.).

I removed the body panels myself. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you won't have any problems. It only takes an hour or so, and should save you quite a bit of money on R&R. I have a close friend that is a custom painter, so I got a ridiculously cheap deal on the finishing. To put the panels back on, I purchased new fasteners from worldimpex.com for about $40 shipped. I'd be happy to share the part numbers and quantities of the replacement fasteners if anyone needs them. I can also share the procedure I used to remove everything, just send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

did u plan the replace your exhaust too? u have a very nice looking car! congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "bottoms out easily"? Are you saying that the car actually hits the bump stops when you drive? If so, you have a problem that needs repair. The factory springs should never bottom out under normal circumstances. Maybe if you're jumping it?
Don't have the exact word to explain it, for example, if I hit a pothole the sound transmitted from the shock quite hard, it feels to me that OEM shocks have a short "travel" distance, and since the car is a heavy one, in this type of situations, the shock "tops" ( new word....) easily. It remembers me my former E46 M3 that use to make a sound almost identical.

Run flat tires are known as hard tires, ride usually a little harsh against regular tires, so there is nothing else to do than wait.

Thanks for your feeback and hope you did understand me now.
Bernie
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

i don't think not having adaptive should make a difference if you're dropping it with H&R springs...

i believe they sell them in two models.. with self-leveling and without

both will provide the same 2.0/fr, 1.2/r inch drop..

i also plan on getting the x6 w/out adaptive drive, installing H&Rs and 214s wheels.

your ride looks great!!

would be nice if they had a replacement exhaust tip from the TT8 version tha you can just cut and bolt-on..(instead of having to replace the entire exhaust system)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
suzuki1k
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 5.0

Looks good, just paint the bottom of the front bumper now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
AZX6
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki1k View Post
Looks good, just paint the bottom of the front bumper now.
I considered painting the front lower panel, but you can't believe the stone chips that we get here in AZ. I figured that the black plastic would hold up much better over time. I'm not a huge fan of the way the front panel transitions to the wheel well panel, but it will just have to suffice.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

Quote:
I considered painting the front lower panel, but you can't believe the stone chips that we get here in AZ. I figured that the black plastic would hold up much better over time. I'm not a huge fan of the way the front panel transitions to the wheel well panel, but it will just have to suffice.
Nice work...looks good. Would you mind please take more close-up pics of the painted parts from the side and back. I just wanna see how it matches up with the body paint. Also, you said you had to smooth the black parts. Was that necessary ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

AZX6,
Again, did you do the 2" or 1.2" drop in front?
Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv View Post
Looks much better with the spring kit.

How much was the drop, 1.2"?? looks like you can do a 2" front from H&R but still only get 1" in the rear because of autoleveling??

I am definitely doing the drop it is a must for looks, great job!
Isn't there a setting for the auto leveling that the dealer can set?
      11-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Really nice looking , only suggestion would be to replace the front reflectors with clear. nice job!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!

The ride is slightly stiffer, but nowhere near harsh. Under normal driving conditions, there isn't much difference. I really only feel the stiffer spring rate when going over larger bumps (speed bumps, etc.).

I removed the body panels myself. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you won't have any problems. It only takes an hour or so, and should save you quite a bit of money on R&R. I have a close friend that is a custom painter, so I got a ridiculously cheap deal on the finishing. To put the panels back on, I purchased new fasteners from worldimpex.com for about $40 shipped. I'd be happy to share the part numbers and quantities of the replacement fasteners if anyone needs them. I can also share the procedure I used to remove everything, just send me a PM.
Yes, please send me a PM with instructions and the part numbers and quantities of fasteners you need. I was going to try and take off the panels myself and take in to save on a lot of the labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBMW6 View Post
Nice work...looks good. Would you mind please take more close-up pics of the painted parts from the side and back. I just wanna see how it matches up with the body paint. Also, you said you had to smooth the black parts. Was that necessary ? Thanks
Yes, it is necessary for it to look right because the black plastic trim is not smooth and if yo just paint it then it will not come out clean looking and will be rough and bumpy and not blend as well to the factory finish on the door panels
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
AZX6
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Did you do the 2" or 1.2" drop in front?
Thanks much.
I used H&R part #50435-3. This kit is the 1.2" drop front and rear.

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...20BMW%20|%20X6

My opinion is that the X6 has just the right amount of rake built into the body design, so I didn't want to exacerbate the look any further. My goal here really was to put my 22's on and not end up with more fenderwell gap then I'll have sidewall height. This is really the key to a classy looking wheel and tire setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 01:43 AM   #18
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

nice car man i am considering painting my car in whole black any body got a pic of black x6 painted in whole black ?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
drod
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

you're missing these...

http://www.supersprintna.com/categor...ategory_id/139
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
I used H&R part #50435-3. This kit is the 1.2" drop front and rear.

http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...20BMW%20|%20X6

My opinion is that the X6 has just the right amount of rake built into the body design, so I didn't want to exacerbate the look any further. My goal here really was to put my 22's on and not end up with more fenderwell gap then I'll have sidewall height. This is really the key to a classy looking wheel and tire setup.
Do you ahave the sport package on your X6? Someone told me that the sport package already lowers the car -vs- the non-sport. Does anyone know if that is true or not, and if it is by how much? Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #21
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

based on the shadow-line trim he's got the sport package on his X6... don't know about the lowering part.
2010 BMW X6 50i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chateau Nevada Leather - 20" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style259) with mixed run-flat perf. tires - Space-saver spare - Soft-close automatic doors - Heated front seats - Dark Bamboo wood trim - Performance Upgrade - Premium Package - Rear Climate Package - Sport Package - Rearview Camera with Top View
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #22
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezo86 View Post
based on the shadow-line trim he's got the sport package on his X6... don't know about the lowering part.
Oh, ok. A local BMW tuner told me if I was going to lower the car, I needed to go with the 2" drop or else it really wouldn't make sense to drop the X6 since the car is already somewhat lowered by having the sport package. He said the sport package already drops the car somewhat vs non sport. I don't know by how much having the sport pkg drops it. Does anyone have this answer? I looking to drop the vehicle with 2" H&R springs, or Hamann 40mm springs. Thank you.
Appreciate 0