XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
IUandUofM
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

Need Suggestions for X6 M Snow Tires and Wheels

I see that you can get tires at tiretrack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...icleSearch=tru

But are there any other tire options that will fit the X6 M?

And what about the wheels? Any suggestions? Would like them to look like BMW, but don't have to be, and should I be worried about replicas for safety, etc.?

Lastly, there are some all-season tire packages available on EBay from people who pulled off their OEM all-season tires/wheels, would those be just as good as an option, or should I really get snow tires for the winter?

Thank you in advance.

===============
EDIT

I just read a separate post where someone suggested that you can just buy snow tires and swap them out with your performance tires on the OEM rims ... to be honest, I have never owned a car that had to have snow tires ... so it is all very confusing. I would rather just have the tires swapped out if that is fairly easy to do.

Last edited by IUandUofM; 12-04-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

The issue with lack of wheels seems to be that with 19" wheels, it's a crap shoot. The front rotors are HEE-OOOGE (15.6 inches ) so there are very few 19 inch wheels that will clear the calipers.

I was in this boat too, when deciding on a winter set up for our X6M. There were claims that the 19" Style 232 wheels fit, which were refuted by a BMW dealer that I spoke to.... very frustrating. In the end, we simply purchased the recommended BMW set up (Style 298M). It cost an arm and a leg, but WOW. The Continentals are fantastic. They actually look good, too. You could also go with a 20" wheel, but it is again a trade off in winter performance. You CAN fit winter rubber on the OEM wheels, but you are limited, due to the width of the OEMs. 275 is about as narrow as you can go, and you should go as narrow as you can, to aid snow performance. Let's face it - it's winter - you're not looking to break the 1.0g barrier in cornering - you are looking for maximum braking ability in slippery conditions.

DO NOT go with all season tires. All season basically translates to "equally bad at all things", unless you live in a fairly temperate climate, that doesn't get very much snow, at all. For peace of mind, buy a set of winter wheels and tires. I would personally recommend buying dedicated set of winter wheels with your winter tires. Extrapolated out over the course of a few seasons, it makes financial sense - for the cost of dismounting your summers, then replacing with winters, repeating next winter, then next summer....... the cost adds, up, and you risk damaging your wheels, and possibly weakening your sidewalls.

I am sure that with time, Tire Rack will come up with 19" wheels that will fit, and these will likely be cost effective. We just couldn't wait. I'm not crazy about my wife driving around in anything but the optimal set up - hell - how much did you pay for this (amazing) vehicle??? If you can afford that much, you MUST go with dedicated winter rubber, IMHO.

Sorry for being long-winded. This is something I feel VERY strongly about, after having been exposed to the consequences, the hard way. Summer tires in winter - a definite no-no. All seasons in moderate to severe winter conditions - marginally better - not enough to justify, when there are better options for you, your family, and the families of those other drivers around you.
      12-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
DoctaM3
500+ HP Club
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8; 2023 BMW M4 CSL

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2008 Audi S6 V10  [0.00]
2014 BMW i8  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
I got 20" Pirelli Scorpion Ice for Tire Rack. installing them soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
charcoalwan
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85

i am running toyo go2 plus on oem rims .. with the snow storm the car still hold up ok.
13 RDX
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: C63

I am going to buy Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT, 275/40R20 all around. However, I still can't decide what rims I am going to purchase. BMW OEM 20'' are way too expensive for winter setup, and I'm worried about the safety of replica wheels. Any suggestions?
      12-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: C63

does style 214 Y spoke 20'' rims fit X6M? non-staggered, 20''x9.5'' all around.
      12-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyichao View Post
does style 214 Y spoke 20'' rims fit X6M? non-staggered, 20''x9.5'' all around.
You can find a set of 214 replicas on eBay that are staggered, that you can fit 275 on all around - it would be a good fit.

Here are a set of 215s (basically the 214, except with gunmetal finish) for $850: offsets are front 40, rear 37, which would fit well (OEM is 40/35 I believe). You can also find 214s for $625 on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-BM...Q5fAccessories

(Just search "BMW x6 wheels")

Quality of replicas? I have ordered replicas in the past, and had NO problems with them - perhaps slightly more work in balancing - perhaps (doubtful, though). They should be more than fine, especially if they are just your winter beater wheels.