XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

E70 Buyer's Guide

We've decided that our fourth BMW (not all at once!) will be an E70 X5. However, I have a few obscure questions that I'm sure one of the forum members will know.

I'm looking for LCI versions with either the diesel engine or the N55 motor. 3rd row seat is not necessary (especially if it reduces cargo space or has other problems).
  1. Are all 2011 X5's LCI or do I have to look at a specific manufacturing date?
  2. On what trims are sport seats available? How do I find out if a car has the sport seats? Are they even necessary on the X5? (hint: they are mandatory on the 135i. I didn't like my wife's standard seats in her 328xi)
  3. Are there any "mandatory" options or any to avoid?
  4. Any other guidance is greatly appreciated

Like I said this will be our 4th BMW and I'm not averse to modding or doing my own maintenance. We just decided to get an X5 and want to make sure it's the right one as we want to keep it awhile.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Welcome to my world. I've been doing a LOT of research lately, so I think I can help with a few of your questions, even though I'm yet to find out perfect vehicle.

1. Yes, they're all LCI.
2. I'm unsure if it was a standalone option, but sport seats are part of the Sport or M-sport package. There was the option to upgrade to the 20 way adjustable multi contour seats on the Sport/M Sport models though, so you have to look for them in the photos. I haven't sat in the multi contour seats yet to see if its a feature I really want.
3. Options are just that, optional. Its all in what you want. I had a list of options I thought I had to have, but that's been changing lately. So, its a tough call to make.
4. Other guidance... I know there was some sort of recall on the front driveshaft, but I haven't really looked into it. There was also a recall for the secondary cooling pump for the X5 ///M models. But, seeing as how you want the inline 6 cylinder, I'm guessing the ///M is out of the question for you.

Any other questions feel free to post.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #3
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
I have the sport seats on mine. The only difference seems to be the manually adjustable thigh support and more side bolstering.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I'm trying to keep under $40K, but if there's an X5M within striking distance, I'm game!

Now that I think about it, I must have the premium package (or whatever has homelink and memory seats) and cold-weather package (heated seats & split-fold rear seat).

Do any of the trims have heated rear seats?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
We've decided that our fourth BMW (not all at once!) will be an E70 X5. However, I have a few obscure questions that I'm sure one of the forum members will know.

I'm looking for LCI versions with either the diesel engine or the N55 motor. 3rd row seat is not necessary (especially if it reduces cargo space or has other problems).
  1. Are all 2011 X5's LCI or do I have to look at a specific manufacturing date?
  2. On what trims are sport seats available? How do I find out if a car has the sport seats? Are they even necessary on the X5? (hint: they are mandatory on the 135i. I didn't like my wife's standard seats in her 328xi)
  3. Are there any "mandatory" options or any to avoid?
  4. Any other guidance is greatly appreciated

Like I said this will be our 4th BMW and I'm not averse to modding or doing my own maintenance. We just decided to get an X5 and want to make sure it's the right one as we want to keep it awhile.

Thanks.
1 - As JupiterBMW already stated - yes
2 - Sport Package and M Sport. You can tell in pictures - the Sport seats have more bolstering, thigh extension, etc. If you aren't sure run the VIN through a BMW VIN decoder (I use bmwvin.com). If you dislike the regular seats in the 3 series you won't like them in the X5 either….it's all the same stuff. No thigh extension, less bolstering and adjustments, etc.
3 - this is probably up to each of us individually, but for me that would be an emphatic yes. I see your other post about Premium and Cold Weather - those are pretty common packages. I'm more familiar with the 50i, which has slightly different package configurations, but I believe on the 35i it was called the Convenience Package (Homelink, power lift gate, manual sunshades, Assist/Bluetooth, etc). Keep in mind the package configurations did change somewhat from year to year, mostly from 2011 to 2012 (both LCI).
4 - I would spend some time doing your research and signing up for a VIN decoder - these vehicles came equipped so many ways and often times the online ads are incorrect. I spent many months searching for an X5 that met my specifications and finally found one last week, so if you're particular in your specs, you'll probably need some patience

Regarding rear heated seats, this was a standalone option on 2011's and part of the Cold Weather Package in 2012 and 2013.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
1 - As JupiterBMW already stated - yes
2 - Sport Package and M Sport. You can tell in pictures - the Sport seats have more bolstering, thigh extension, etc. If you aren't sure run the VIN through a BMW VIN decoder (I use bmwvin.com). If you dislike the regular seats in the 3 series you won't like them in the X5 either….it's all the same stuff. No thigh extension, less bolstering and adjustments, etc.
3 - this is probably up to each of us individually, but for me that would be an emphatic yes. I see your other post about Premium and Cold Weather - those are pretty common packages. I'm more familiar with the 50i, which has slightly different package configurations, but I believe on the 35i it was called the Convenience Package (Homelink, power lift gate, manual sunshades, Assist/Bluetooth, etc). Keep in mind the package configurations did change somewhat from year to year, mostly from 2011 to 2012 (both LCI).
4 - I would spend some time doing your research and signing up for a VIN decoder - these vehicles came equipped so many ways and often times the online ads are incorrect. I spent many months searching for an X5 that met my specifications and finally found one last week, so if you're particular in your specs, you'll probably need some patience

Regarding rear heated seats, this was a standalone option on 2011's and part of the Cold Weather Package in 2012 and 2013.

Good luck!
OK, thanks for the info. I will definitely look up the VIN when I find one I like. Other questions came to mind:

Are these years still hydraulic power steering, or EPS?

Do most people ditch the runflats & get a spare or slime kit?

Do they all have a hitch or is that an option? I don't need to tow, I just have a hitch-mounted bike rack.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Do yourself a favor and sit and drive X5's with Sport and Comfort seats.

I've had all three: standard seat, sport seat and now comfort seat.

There is a big difference between the three of them! Generally speaking, the Sport Seat is somewhat roomier (wider, or more accommodating) for me than the Comfort Seat (I am 6'3" and 225lbs), because the side bolsters are not as padded as the bolsters in the Comfort Seat. The biggest drawback of the Sport Seat was a rock hard seating surface. This becomes very uncomfortable after sitting in it for more than an hour.

The Comfort Seat on the other hand, is, well, more comfortable. Seating surface is not hard, just firm, side bolsters are a bit confining for me but not objectionable. The rest of the seat and seat back can be articulated 20 different ways, making it a supremely comfortable seat.

Surprisingly the "standard seat" is also very comfortable. It does not offer the side bolsters, but if you are not doing any aggressive track driving, you won't miss this feature. I would choose a standard seat over a sport seat ... and not having the side bolsters makes getting in and out of this tall SUV much easier (ask my wife)!

Tow hitch is an option. DIY for about $600 + coding. Dealer installed, at least double that and no custom coding (camera zoom feature on trailer hitch ball).
      08-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, thanks for the info. I will definitely look up the VIN when I find one I like. Other questions came to mind:

Are these years still hydraulic power steering, or EPS?

Do most people ditch the runflats & get a spare or slime kit?

Do they all have a hitch or is that an option? I don't need to tow, I just have a hitch-mounted bike rack.

Thanks again.
1 - not sure on the steering
2 - a lot of people do, yes. I know I will when these run-flats wear out even though I won't have a spare. There was a spare tire option (Option 300 - Space-saver spare - $150 option) which is surprisingly rare given it's low cost. I guess owners figured it would come with run-flats so they didn't check that box? This option not applicable with X5's with 3rd row seating.
3 - hitch is a dealer add on is you want OEM. Otherwise there are other options out there. You can do a search as there are many threads on this topic. The OEM setup will require a section of your rear bumper to be cut. This bothers a lot of people, but not everyone. Personally, I'll be going with the Invisihitch - no cutting, and it's not visible when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

My wife and I took test drives in separate vehicles and honestly, the standard seats didn't bother me nearly as much as they do in the 328xi. So maybe I shouldn't be worried about that.

Given my propensity to tinker, what are my tuning options on the 35d vs. N55 motor? I know plenty about the N54 in the 135/335, but nothing about the N55 in the X5 nor the 35d (whatever the engine ID is?).

Is the N55 still FMIC, JB4 or Cobb, Downpipes, midpipes, exhaust and chargepipe?

And what about the 35d?

Thanks.

Edit: there's an X6 tuning forum here, but not for X5's?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Seats

How long was your drive ? The difference in seat comfort is noticeable only after an hour. Try to let them give you the vehicle for a half or full day
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My wife and I took test drives in separate vehicles and honestly, the standard seats didn't bother me nearly as much as they do in the 328xi. So maybe I shouldn't be worried about that.

Given my propensity to tinker, what are my tuning options on the 35d vs. N55 motor? I know plenty about the N54 in the 135/335, but nothing about the N55 in the X5 nor the 35d (whatever the engine ID is?).

Is the N55 still FMIC, JB4 or Cobb, Downpipes, midpipes, exhaust and chargepipe?

And what about the 35d?

Thanks.

Edit: there's an X6 tuning forum here, but not for X5's?
Well, if you buy one with either the Sport or M Sport package you'll get the sport seats regardless.

I don't know about all the different tuners but Dinan has a software upgrade for the 35i which increases HP from 300 to 355 and TQ from 300 to 401. They offer nothing for the 35d (engine ID M57Y).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
lighthousemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d/2011 BMW X5d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2011 X5d

Just bought a 2011 X5 with the diesel motor yesterday afternoon - this is my first X5 (already have a gorgeous 328d with M-Sport package among other packages and in EBII!) for my 3 kids and soccer, skiing, and camping. This X5 is jam packed with almost all options - 3rd row seating, HUD, Comfort Access, SAV package, heated seats front and rear, heated steering, Lane Departure feature, the cooling seats and massaging seat (wow - never saw this before and damn nice!) along with a tow hitch and roof rack and running boards - in Deep Sea Blue with tan leather inside. Dealer will be prepping the car, checking for recalls, etc. and updating software, etc. and will pick up next Thursday.

What is the code name for this diesel motor? In my 328d, its the N47 motor, for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousemoon View Post
Just bought a 2011 X5 with the diesel motor yesterday afternoon - this is my first X5 (already have a gorgeous 328d with M-Sport package among other packages and in EBII!) for my 3 kids and soccer, skiing, and camping. This X5 is jam packed with almost all options - 3rd row seating, HUD, Comfort Access, SAV package, heated seats front and rear, heated steering, Lane Departure feature, the cooling seats and massaging seat (wow - never saw this before and damn nice!) along with a tow hitch and roof rack and running boards - in Deep Sea Blue with tan leather inside. Dealer will be prepping the car, checking for recalls, etc. and updating software, etc. and will pick up next Thursday.

What is the code name for this diesel motor? In my 328d, its the N47 motor, for example.
Congratulations on your new X5.

I noted the diesel motor above - M57Y (I never knew this either but ran a VIN to get this info)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
lighthousemoon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Thanks! Hoping to get many good years out of it with my soccer and skiing kids
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousemoon View Post

I noticed you are in PA ... You posted yesterday and it's going to take your dealer a full week to get your used car ready for delivery?

Why?

If it is CPO'd (and I hope it is for a 2011!), all the important stuff that is time consuming should been done already ...
      08-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
lighthousemoon
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Because the X5 is in Wilkes-Barre and I'm in Philadelphia - so we made arrangements to have them detail the car, update the navigation, and a couple other things They'll meet me in Allentown and save a little time.

And it's not CPO - but I have copies of all the service records and a wonderful BMW dealership that I have been with for more than 15 years who will take care of me and the X5 (Thompson in Doylestown). I do realize that it's not CPO but it's also not my primary car (my 2014 328d in EBII is) and like I said earlier, it's a weekend car and for ski trips and soccer and soon camping with the family.

At least full maintainence is included till October 2016 at any dealership.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

lighthousemoon- Congrats, sounds like you got a beautiful vehicle. I have actually been eyeing roughly the same X5 you bought, but in the 35i engine, with the M Sport package. They want a lot though... I believe the one I'm seeing is in Georgia...

Either way, glad you enjoy the 328d. We have one as well, a Mineral White 2014 Luxury Line, but its just too small for the family with 2 small kids... At least anytime we have to pack up and go anywhere.

OP, good luck with your search. As for tuning, if you really want to get into that, don't get the Diesel. The potential is always huge for diesel power, but not many offerings for the BMW platform. Then again, you can still do wheels, brakes, suspension and all the other goods...

I'm waiting a call back right now about an X5 I've had my eyes on lately. Its not my first choice, but its becoming one... We'll see.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
jfiore13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert
Well, I'm trying to keep under $40K, but if there's an X5M within striking distance, I'm game!

Now that I think about it, I must have the premium package (or whatever has homelink and memory seats) and cold-weather package (heated seats & split-fold rear seat).

Do any of the trims have heated rear seats?
Ill sell you my 2011 X5 50I sport package with 20" rims CPO for 40K... It has most options besides M sport and DVD. Original sticker was 74K. Has 37K miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
OP, good luck with your search. As for tuning, if you really want to get into that, don't get the Diesel. The potential is always huge for diesel power, but not many offerings for the BMW platform. Then again, you can still do wheels, brakes, suspension and all the other goods...

I'm waiting a call back right now about an X5 I've had my eyes on lately. Its not my first choice, but its becoming one... We'll see.
I've decided that I'm most comfortable with the gas engine and will probably stick with that.

As far as sport seats, I'm keeping my eye out, but I haven't seen any CPO's locally that have them. In fact, I'm having trouble finding a low-mileage example of a vehicle with the Premium/Convenience package and cold-weather. People must love them and keep them apparently. Finding one with sports seats too would appear to be impossible.

I have 2 months/1200 miles left on the 328xi lease, so I have a little bit of time to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfiore13 View Post
Ill sell you my 2011 X5 50I sport package with 20" rims CPO for 40K... It has most options besides M sport and DVD. Original sticker was 74K. Has 37K miles.
Looks beautiful, but I can't do a black car again. So many regrets with my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #21
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've decided that I'm most comfortable with the gas engine and will probably stick with that.

As far as sport seats, I'm keeping my eye out, but I haven't seen any CPO's locally that have them. In fact, I'm having trouble finding a low-mileage example of a vehicle with the Premium/Convenience package and cold-weather. People must love them and keep them apparently. Finding one with sports seats too would appear to be impossible.

I have 2 months/1200 miles left on the 328xi lease, so I have a little bit of time to be patient.
That's the key - patience! These aren't Camrys or Civics where you have a considerable used inventory to search from in most any city.

Have you considered expanding your search area? I quickly realized I would probably have to ship one from another state since I was so particular about what I wanted. Not to mention, if you're looking for a CPO'd vehicle, those are the safest to buy if having shipped from out of state. When mine arrived it was in stellar condition as all CPO'd vehicles should be.

Those packages you mention are the most common and shouldn't be hard to find on 35i's, which are much more plentiful than the 50i I searched for. The Sport Package is not as common on the 35i, but they are out there. A real bonus would be finding one w/ the Multi-Contour seats (requires Sport Package or M Sport to open up this option). I wasn't looking for this option but the X5 I bought happened to have them, and they are great seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #22
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
That's the key - patience! These aren't Camrys or Civics where you have a considerable used inventory to search from in most any city.

Have you considered expanding your search area? I quickly realized I would probably have to ship one from another state since I was so particular about what I wanted. Not to mention, if you're looking for a CPO'd vehicle, those are the safest to buy if having shipped from out of state. When mine arrived it was in stellar condition as all CPO'd vehicles should be.

Those packages you mention are the most common and shouldn't be hard to find on 35i's, which are much more plentiful than the 50i I searched for. The Sport Package is not as common on the 35i, but they are out there. A real bonus would be finding one w/ the Multi-Contour seats (requires Sport Package or M Sport to open up this option). I wasn't looking for this option but the X5 I bought happened to have them, and they are great seats.
Patience is tough! My wife test-drove one at a local dealer & loves it and is now pressuring me to buy it.

Please tell me if there's a better way! I'm searching Autotrader, looking for a 2012-2013 any color but Black, any color but Oyster, 500 mile (which is effectively 600 mile) radius from Denver, under $45K, under 45,000 miles. I haven't seen one with sport seats. There are a few that I like, but none that I love.

FYI I bought my 135i CPO in MN (800 miles away). The whole experience soured me. 1) Salt has killed the rims, and it's not a warranty item. I'll never buy another salt-state vehicle. 2) so many scratches & swirls in a Jet Black car (and I'll never buy another black vehicle), and 3) the salesdouche knew I flew into town just to buy this car, so he spent zero time with me and just assumed I would buy it. Would I do it again? Maybe if I knew someone local to the area and could check out the car for me.
Appreciate 0