XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

high pitch noise in x5m

does anyone else experience a high pitch type of whistle or squeel? seems like it happens for the first 1-2 minutes of driving then it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

You mean a noise coming from the front right side of the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

havent pinpointed it quite yet but yeah that seems about right.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
There have been several discussion on this, lots of people are experiencing the same noise. Including my brand new 2012 X5M.

It only happens after you've parked your car after a drive when it is warm. Someone said it is the ECU's cooling fan, which explain why I never hear this noise when the car is cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post
There have been several discussion on this, lots of people are experiencing the same noise. Including my brand new 2012 X5M.

It only happens after you've parked your car after a drive when it is warm. Someone said it is the ECU's cooling fan, which explain why I never hear this noise when the car is cold.
ok my truck is a brand new 12 also. is this something that we need to have checked out? is it a problem other than being annoying for a minute or two of initial driving? if it was the ecu fan wouldent be noisy @ shutdown? this is a noise that can happen after being parked for a night or even a long period of time. also my gas guage never shows truly ful no matter how much i top off and my rear passenger door seems to not close totally flush.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
DDP2011X5M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpcar View Post

ok my truck is a brand new 12 also. is this something that we need to have checked out? is it a problem other than being annoying for a minute or two of initial driving? if it was the ecu fan wouldent be noisy @ shutdown? this is a noise that can happen after being parked for a night or even a long period of time. also my gas guage never shows truly ful no matter how much i top off and my rear passenger door seems to not close totally flush.
I noticed on my car when new. Now I don't hear the noise anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I have this same problem on my X6M. It started around 4000 miles. It only happens about 1 in 5 times that I start the car. Sometimes, though, it does happen when the car is completely cold (hasn't been driven in 12 hours, 40 degrees outside).

Out of curiosity, though, where is the ECU cooling fan located in the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If the ECU theory is correct then it's got to be located somewhere inside the dash or near the firewall. As far as I can tell that's where the noise came from.

Right now I just turn up the music when I drive so I don't hear anything else. I did mention this to the dealer and of course their standard SOP reply was "Never heard of this complaint".

Well, I am glad to read that I am not the only one with this problem. At least I feel better knowing that I am not that crazy after all.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
I've got this problem with my new 2013 X5M (July 2012 build). It's driving me crazy.
I'm going to take it into the dealer soon - hopefully this can be fixed/located. I like to drive and just listen to the engine, and it's so loud...

Did they solve it?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair
I've got this problem with my new 2013 X5M (July 2012 build). It's driving me crazy.
I'm going to take it into the dealer soon - hopefully this can be fixed/located. I like to drive and just listen to the engine, and it's so loud...

Did they solve it?
Seems to have Gone away on its own after a few K miles. I think it is a common occurrence and seems to resolve itself. Gl
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The noise is still there after one year and 17,000 miles later, comes and goes stays on for few minutes at a time. Dealer said they never heard of the problem I will need to leave my car for several days for they to reproduce it. Until they figure out what's wrong I am not interested to leave my car for them to use as experiment.
Appreciate 0