XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

Crankcase Vent Pipe

Did the all 8 fuel injectors/plugs/coils over the past month as my 'Quarantine' project since I was able to take a liberal amount of time off without any real consequences. Anyways, to do the injectors wasn't an overly bad job, I just disconnected the battery and started to remove whatever was in my way. I cant stress enough about writing down steps you have done because when its been a few days and a few beers you forget things you've removed. Made a mess with the coolant removing the heater pipe on the drivers side but disconnecting the fuel hoses/lines was less of an issue than I had envisioned. Followed the procedure TO THE 'T'. Even got ISTA+ installed to do the calibrations and reset mixture adaptations. Got everything buttoned up did the ISTA+ procedures and go to start it up with fingers crossed.

Thats when the real fun started, holy mother of god. It ran like complete dog shit, couldn't idle, and started to detonate in a cylinder. Turned the car off immediately and gave a 'I fucked up sigh'. Tore down the engine AGAIN to see what it could be. Went through and double checked everything, buttoned it back up, go to start. Same thing, sounded like a big stumbly carburated V8. Decided it had to be a vacuum leak.

Ordered new turbo inlet pipes since the plastic was broken thinking that could be some of the problem. NOPE.

Then I finally found it, buried deep on the drivers side where only children's hands can fit, the Crankcase Vent Pipe was completely disconnect off the intake manifold leaving a 1" hole of a vacuum leak. It must have came loose when I was removing everything. After a few beers and over an hour I finally contorted my hand enough to pop it back on. Clear Faults, Delete Adaptations, and BINGO car was back alive.

After that the car ran fine for a week until the same crankcase vent pipe came apart, this time the actual pipe by the connector split. I have a new one on order.

I would love to know the thought process behind using this plastic hose or if there is anything better I can replace it with in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

It's a shame such a amazing piece of engineering is ruined by a few really stupid choices like the cheap plastic CCV tubes. Unfortunately there is no other choice but to replace them with new stock ones. You could remove the lower intakes and add a tap for some nice -an fittings and braided lines but to remove the lower intakes requires pulling the entire engine...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was afraid of that, they just feel so brittle I feel like I'm going to break them anytime I touch one now. Was thinking about wrapping them in something more protective than the abrasion sleeve they have on it but I'd probably break them doing that LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Man, you had me on the floor laughing.... I liked your story as I have been there so many times..... The car ran fine before I decided to help it! Having to disassemble the whole damn thing again, after doing maintenance as it no longer runs right......... Then discover you need the hands of a child with gorilla like strength to reach that one god damn thing that should just come out by hitting the thing with a hammer POW! Lol... Okay ragging with the hammer doesn't make it better.. usually.

Yeah the plastic parts in the engine bay of an X5M become fragile, and heat and time make them brittle little pieces of... I've replaced both crankcase vent lines, cross over pipe, filtered air ducts, etc.... There doesn't seem to be an off the shelf after market solution for these parts. They will fail again.

Heat is the enemy of engine bay plastics, wrapping them in some sort of radiant barrier probably would help some. But it would hide of course the problem when they / will crap out.

Reducing under hood temps could help, but there is no way to know if say a turbo blanket would reduce the local hot spots the CCV lines go through. But damn they sure dont hold up. I'm on my 3rd set on my 2011. Climate seems to be a factor as well, if you live some place hot the plastic parts death is accelerated.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

HAHAHA, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been in these positions too. The car overall is great and in my short time with it I have mastered how to assemble a one-off drive extension with universal swivel and hold a mirror all at the same time. A telescoping magnet has been the savior of many a bolts so far.

As for the CCV lines, I bought a hole second set just to save as a spare. Now to move onto fixing a leaky CV Boot....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

I’ve don both died as well. I’m a master at it now. I’ve now got the engine torn down to the manifolds and I’m going to replace the turbo return lines and install catless down pipes if I can get them out. Urghhhhh
Appreciate 0