XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

BMW complaint... Why no actual tire pressure reading???

One area I feel that BMW should correct, is we should have tire pressure sensors that transmit the actual tire pressure and then displays this information somewhere easily accessable.

I can't understand why you would only have sensors that show when a tire is flat, or the lack of any pressure, and not instead have sensors that read the tire pressure and relay that to the iDrive or the dash display.

My parents Buick has this information displayed in the instrument cluster. With all the technology in the car, how is this small item being neglected? My front tires were five pounds low, yet I still had a nice green display in the iDrive. I want to know if they are 1 or 2 pounds below the factory recommended setting. Does anyone know the range of these sensors, and at what pressure below the 38 pounds recommended setting, would you get a warning? I may pump them up to a higher setting, then recalibrate to this higher pressure, so I will get an indication when they go below 38 pounds. To do this I need to know at what pressure below the calibration do they go into alarm.

Is this available in any other BMW?

Last edited by LANDLORD; 04-08-2011 at 01:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Actually it's not so much a particular pressure that affects it but the difference between the tires which is judged by the rotation of the tires. so you could have them all at 28 pounds , do a reset and it would stay green until one of them dropped pressure, so far I have seen a three pound difference do this and also when it was five pounds lower ( although that was due the value stem nut coming loose and loosing lots of pressure).

I agree with you I want to know when it's 1-2 pounds down, I have air compressor in the garage so keeping the pressure right is not hard. I'm running RFs which don't last very long anyway so I would like to stretch their life as much as possible.

I too find it odd that somethings are high tech and other so olden days.
Appreciate 0