XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
sayegh_914
Registered
Rep
Drives: VR X6 5.0i

Have any one had problems with Style 215

Hi all,
i bought my x6 5.0i 10 months ago, and everything was fine until i installed the style 215 21 inch rims. The problem i am facing is that both my seat and the passanger's seat are shaking while i am driving the car, therefore i took it to the dealer and he said its normal and is happening because i installed the 21 inch rims.
However i still didnt buy what the service advisor told me, and i want to ask whether any of you x6 owners have also faced similar or differed problems with your x6 after installing the style 215 21 inch rims

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Correct me if I wrong guys, but isn't the unsprung mass (wheel + tire) reduced slightly with 21" wheels. And, I think the tire profile is narrower, but the diameter is the same size, so why would it shake with a larger wheel size?

I've seen cases where people significantly increased the overall size of the tire/wheel combo and induced a vibration or greater sensitivity to bumps. But I don't think your combination would cause a additional vibration. Could be wrong.

Maybe he meant to say your X6 is shaking because you bought 21" wheels and they didn't bother to balance the wheels before installing them on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
sayegh_914
Registered
Rep
Drives: VR X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Correct me if I wrong guys, but isn't the unsprung mass (wheel + tire) reduced slightly with 21" wheels. And, I think the tire profile is narrower, but the diameter is the same size, so why would it shake with a larger wheel size?

I've seen cases where people significantly increased the overall size of the tire/wheel combo and induced a vibration or greater sensitivity to bumps. But I don't think your combination would cause a additional vibration. Could be wrong.

Maybe he meant to say your X6 is shaking because you bought 21" wheels and they didn't bother to balance the wheels before installing them on the car.

Thank You for youre reply, In regards to the dealer here in Abu Dhabi, they are using the 21 inch wheels as an excuse for anything and everything that happens to the car, although i didnt believe his excuse i dont have enough information to challenge him.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I know larger wheels are more sensitive to bumps, etc but haven't heard anything about vibration. Mine are a little smaller 259/20" and don't have any vibration issues , even at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Have the 215's have been high speed balanced by qualified mechanic??
All bolts torque wrenched on at the right setting? all balance weights are still on the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Have the 215's have been high speed balanced by qualified mechanic??
All bolts torque wrenched on at the right setting? all balance weights are still on the wheel?
Those are good questions.

archwerks, in your opinion, besides the prep werk would there be any difference between the factory 19" or 20' wheels?

I think the dealer was trying to stick him because they are 21” wheels, as if a 0.5” increase in the wheel radius would somehow make a difference from the factory installed wheel.

But I think your question is right, it’s the prep werk that’s at issue here and not the wheel size.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i have 215 ferric grey,and have had a same problem...you need to balanced them!...problem is that BMW factory before done that for you,and now your dealer need to do that!

After you balance them you will enjoy your ride again!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Alignment Checked?

If u still have problem after proper high speed balance, I wouldl suggest a complete alignment check!
Wouldn't be the first time that someone on the assembly line @ the factory was "out to lunch" when alignment was suppose to be properly done.
Car & Driver's long term x6, 5.0i tester & my x6 3.5i ( among numerous others I presume), had the wrong battery installed from the factory.

u c, everything designed/engineered/built by man has built in flaws as well & it takes time to discover what & where that flaw is.
Sooner or later it'll reveal itself.
If the best rocket scientist cannot save all the astronauts all the time,
we haven't got a hope in ****!

It is ridiculous that we've to sleuth the faults under warranty after paying $70,000+.But unfortunately, if we want a car to work faultlessly like an appliance, we'll have to buy Japanese cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Wheel problems

The place where u buy the car is NOT necessarily the place that offers u the best service.
Once u find the right dealer that'll give u the best service, find out who the mechanic is each time u take the car in. Then when u find the mechanic, ask to talk to him to meet him in person. Do that after each service if possible & insist on getting him Only to service your car from then on.
I think mechanics generally provide better service if they know who the car belongs to..
Take another x6 with 21" wheels for a test drive & see if that the car shakes Or go to another bmw dealer.
If they r bmw wheels, designed for the x6, with the correct offset and the car shakes, demand that they put 19" on and test drive the car or put another 21" set of front wheels on to test your car.
No way for anyone to pay money for defective operation or product.
Tell the service advisor u'll sue him personally & bmw if it ever causes an accident !
Appreciate 0