XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Question for those that moved from an x5 to an x6

I went to my dealer today ready to order an x6. But (yet again) my CA was out. I took the opportunity to drive an x6 on the used lot to gauge two specific aspects in depth:

Will I feel claustrophobic?
Is the visibility going to be a major problem?

My current ride is an '11 X5 with oyster interior. There's lots of airspace around you and 360 deg of glass.

We decided that the 'feeling' that we had from inside the car was fine. Just more car-like than the x5. I actually found the used one quite bad, but it was black on anthracite on black (with a smoke aftertaste and aluminum trim shining in my face from all angles). But there was a new one on the floor that was Monaco blue on anthracite on saddle (with a leather dash no less --who wouldn't like that??) That one had a much more comfortable feeling in the cabin. Should be even better with oyster.

Now to the ultimate question: I didn't find the 'rear view mirror' visibility quite as annoying as others because I'm used to using the ginormous side mirrors on my x5. However, I found that 'blind spot checking' was quite challenging. There's just not much to look through on those back doors. I was afraid to change lanes!

For others that have moved from an x5 to an x6, is this something that I'll quickly become accustom to, or would it annoy me forever?

A good note is that I was able to back the car into a tight space even with the nasty '09 camera. However, the 'never rely solely on the backup camera' message is a joke on an x6!

(in case you're wondering, I want to move from the e70 to the x6 because, after a year of driving it, I think that it drives just too darned 'big' and it just isn't fun. I drove an e53 x5 for 7 yrs and I absolutely loved it. X3? I think not. )

Last edited by Barbja; 04-07-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

I solved the 'blind spot' issue by putting those 2 inch blind spot mirrors on both my mirrors. A lot of people don't like them because the 'ruin' the look of a X6, but my motto is, 'better safe than sorry'!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Packdaddy
Packdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

Blind Spot issue

Oh yea, I drove an Escalade for 6 years and going to an X6 was heaven for me!! No longer feel like I'm driving a bus or a people hauler!! All I carry now is my honey and two standard poodles!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

my advise is rear view camera with top view is a "MUST" if you intend to go with the X6 or you will be having a hard time to backing up the truck
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

The mirrors on both the X5 & X6 give an excellent side view.

It doesn't take long to become familiar with lesser vision.

Once you drive the x6, the x5 is 2nd choice.

Even towing & backing with a trailor in the x6 is not difficult work.
      04-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Gonkface
Rep
Drives: X6 4.0D & Z4 M Sport 2.0i

I went from an X5 to an X6 and I am on my second X6 now. In retrospect the X5 felt like a rugged (albeit executively spec'd) 4X4 whereas the X6 retains some of the 4X4 characteristics but with a more coupe like feel. It feels to me as if the driving position is slightly lower but I am not sure if the specification of both cars would bear this out.

So far as reversing is concerned, I have had no preblems with this.
Appreciate 0