XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Dilemma: 3.5 vs 5.0 and 2012 vs 2013

So I've been driving a 2009 X6 3.5 whose lease is up in Dec'11. I absolutely love the car, using it as a daily commuter in the city, with occasional highway driving. It replaced a 650i, which replaced an E39 M5.

So this is my first BMW 6 cylinder in a while, I opted for the 6 cylinders for 2 reasons: increasing gas prices in late 2008 when I ordered it, and the heavier weight of the V-8.

Most of my driving is city, with lots of stop and go from traffic lights and stop signs. I get about 12 mpg on average, with 15,000 miles on the odometer.

Since my lease expires in December, I've started to think about what I want to replace it. I drove the new 5 series sedan with the V-8 and found the power, balance, and steering absolutely wonderful! However, I'm not ready to go back to the sedan format, preferring, the higher seating position, cabin spaciousness, and all-weather versatility.

So, under the presumption that I'm staying with an X6, now I wonder if I should opt for the V-8 for a little more power. I'm perfectly happy with the 6 cyl and actually enjoy revving it. However, there are occasions when you can tell it's struggling a bit to pull the weight, not often though.

I feel I want something a little different so that I'm not just getting the same car for another 3 years! Similar to when I changed from a 540i to my M5.

Now, I see that the current cars have the new 8 speed transmission and newer iDrive. Is this enough of a change from my 2009 3.5?

Also, if the car is slated for a small facelift in 2012 (as a 2013 model) should I just extend the lease?

Any info you can provide, regarding city mileage and 3.5 vs 5.0 feel, weight, etc. would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
chocobo1104
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

I am considering dinan stage 2 performance upgrade for my 35i... I agree with you saying that there are times that 35i could use the extra oomph! here and there. Once I get in around may I can confirm it but from the spec sheets saying I get almost 70hp and 110ft torque looks promising...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobo1104 View Post
I am considering dinan stage 2 performance upgrade for my 35i... I agree with you saying that there are times that 35i could use the extra oomph! here and there. Once I get in around may I can confirm it but from the spec sheets saying I get almost 70hp and 110ft torque looks promising...
I'm not sure dinan has a tune for the x6 with the n55 motor yet. I have had dinan stage 1 on an 08 x6 35i since September last year and it certainly made the car more fun. The only issue (after a different software problem that is now fixed) is the acceleration in the 4500 to 6000k rpm range is not 100% smooth sometimes (but much more powerful). Also getting about 12-13 mpg. Unfortunately I don't have the oil cooler so they don't allow me to put on stage 2.

OP, I love the x6 as you do and I would recommend going with a 50i just to change it up. Gone from a 3.0 x5 to a 4.4 in the past and really enjoyed it. I couldn't order a 50i in early 08 yet so i saved a bit of money, but always wondered "what if"...then again I have had an x5 35i loaner and the milage was much better than my x6.

A matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 0