XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-11-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
amrits_12
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Cat delete?

I just bought a white on black 2013 e70 x5m and I love it. I have a couple of plans planned lower spacers tune. But first wanna make it louder. Can I just delete the cats? Take it to a shop and ask them to cut them and straight pipe them? I havent seen anyone do this here not sure why. Or should I just buy new dp. OR maybe new exhaust. Maybe some megan racings. Or should I do both? I dont want any drone at all as it is my dd but dont care how loud a cold start is as I live on a acreage and dont really have neighbours.
thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

You definitely want to buy aftermarket, many to choose from. When you add downpipes to a n63/s63, it will get louder but also introduces an "upshift rattle". Some don't care but many do. I personally hate that raspy rattle sound it gets on upshifts when downpipes are added. It's caused by the resonators being tuned specific to the cats. You can fix by replacing the resonators and tossing in an x-pipe. Pull up a search window on this forum and search for x5m resonators. Should pull a thread from last year about all of this with videos and sound clips from another member who did downpipes.

Edit: Found the thread I was talking about : https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...+rattle&page=1

I would recommend you do the downpipes first and if you hate the sound, order up the resonators and x-pipe we used In that thread. The combo of downpipes, x-pipe+ race resonators is perfect IMHO.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 02-12-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Primary cats are main sound restrictions on those cars, sound will definitively be louder with downpipes.

Gas smell will also be very present after downpipes, there is option of catted pipes(300 cell)

which is more expensive, but reducing gas smell, while still improving exhaust flow compared to OEM.

One more thing, avoid VRSF, because fitment is bad.
      02-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

I did cat delete. would never go back sound is awesome and you have to get a tune to make the performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
amrits_12
Rep

Dont care too much about the smell, I've heard its not too bad its manageable. I want a cheap solution for now and later on in the summer get really nice ones.

Movado750 did you just take out the cats and straight pipe it where the cats where? Is that possible. On all my other sport cars I take out the cats and its the perfect noise but no one has talked about it on e70 forums which is concerning. I already like the tone of the car just want it to be louder.

Sophisticated Redneck can you describe the upshift rattle? Is it what other people call upshift farts? Personally I do not like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

The smell is powerful but you get used to it and maybe even it like it a bit, especially if a Prius with it's windows open gets behind you🤣. Mix 3 gallons of E85 with a full tank and actually improves not only your timing and power but the smell too. Don't go over 3 though, fuel trims get maxed when you get much past 4 and will get lean codes .

Yep upshift farts is a good description of it. Not as bad on the M as the 50i due to M's header and Muffler design. It's a pretty subjective thing and doesn't bother everyone so do your downpipes first and if you don't like the sound, swap in the resonators and x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
amrits_12
Rep

Thinking of just going to shop cutting off the cats. If I dont like it I'll just get a axle back. Will post back whenever I get it done
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrits_12 View Post
Dont care too much about the smell, I've heard its not too bad its manageable. I want a cheap solution for now and later on in the summer get really nice ones.

Movado750 did you just take out the cats and straight pipe it where the cats where? Is that possible. On all my other sport cars I take out the cats and its the perfect noise but no one has talked about it on e70 forums which is concerning. I already like the tone of the car just want it to be louder.

Sophisticated Redneck can you describe the upshift rattle? Is it what other people call upshift farts? Personally I do not like that.
I put ARM catless down pipes in. and I have Dinan Full exhaust.

Yes you can smell it pretty well. I like it. nothing in the cabin only when the windows are down.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 10:23 PM   #9
zoom750
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

If you're going to cut up the cats, why not just gut them?

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...ght=hollow+cat
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #10
amrits_12
Rep

Does it really matter if u gut the cats or just take them off? Figure it woukd be easier to take them off and weld in a pipe. And if u wanted to maybe put them back in if I wanted. I'm probably getting a e92 m3 so I don't want to dump to much money in the x5 so looking for thr cheapest solution for better sound. I went you tube and listening to some megan exhaust and They sound the same as stock...? Anyone with a megan exhaust want to chime in and tell me otherwise? Maybe I just can't tell online
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
amrits_12
Rep

Also if I do get a catless dp or just take out the cats, will it throw codes? Will I need a tune?
Appreciate 0