XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #1
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport

Check Engine Light, anyone know what's going on?

Got all these codes, seems like a VANOS issue, there's a rattling sound when I open the hood. I get limp mode and it gets weaker over time. Any ideas? Car is at 116k miles.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Clear them and then when the CEL pops back up, immediately read the codes and see what is starting this chain. Could be VANOS related or it could be something else
      02-12-2021, 01:17 AM   #3
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Clear them and then when the CEL pops back up, immediately read the codes and see what is starting this chain. Could be VANOS related or it could be something else
I got the attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

I actually I had those exact same VANOS faults recently. Got the 2C58 too which is a response to the VANOS fault.

My thoughts on best COA, would be clean and swap the solenoids. That may solve the problems all on its own. If codes pop back up but error on the exhaust side, it would point to that solenoid that needs to be replaced. If the fault stays on the intake side, you would have to dig a little deeper.

I had my shop clean both VANOS solenoids and swap positions to start. So far the car has been running great so I’m hoping my problem is gone
      02-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
I actually I had those exact same VANOS faults recently. Got the 2C58 too which is a response to the VANOS fault.

My thoughts on best COA, would be clean and swap the solenoids. That may solve the problems all on its own. If codes pop back up but error on the exhaust side, it would point to that solenoid that needs to be replaced. If the fault stays on the intake side, you would have to dig a little deeper.

I had my shop clean both VANOS solenoids and swap positions to start. So far the car has been running great so I’m hoping my problem is gone
Started to hear rod knock:/
Appreciate 0