XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

X6 Help !

First post !

i have just taken delivery of my new X6 , very happy. What i can not work out for the life of me is the light settings.

Front outside bulbs xenon work fine
Both angel eyes work fine
Fog lights work fine

But what are the bulbs inside the small angel eyes as i have tried every combination of light switch settings and i can not for the life of me get them to light up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Those are probably your high lights. With your lights turned on, push the left lever next to the steering wheel (the one u use for the traffigators) FORWARD, towards the dashboard.

Then check if they light up.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just tried that , but when i put the full beam on as you suggest (high lights ) the outside xenon lights move in to full beam (high light ) mode much the same if you where to flash someone. Tried every possible combination. No joy, very frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

those are the bulbs for your angel eyes!
2010 BMW X6 50i, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chateau Nevada Leather - 20" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style259) with mixed run-flat perf. tires - Space-saver spare - Soft-close automatic doors - Heated front seats - Dark Bamboo wood trim - Performance Upgrade - Premium Package - Rear Climate Package - Sport Package - Rearview Camera with Top View
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

so why does it look like there is a bulb in side the small angel eye , but not lit up.
The small round angel eye is lit up, but there looks like there is a bulb in the centre which is not lit up , does that make any sense>?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
itsme123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic23 View Post
so why does it look like there is a bulb in side the small angel eye , but not lit up.
The small round angel eye is lit up, but there looks like there is a bulb in the centre which is not lit up , does that make any sense>?
That's the bulb that provides the light source for those angles eyes. The lens on the smaller eye is blacked out for esthetic reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

ok plan B. turn on your DAL (Daylight running lights) via the idrive and then turn on your light switch by turning to the left. then start the car.

I got no plan C if this doesnt work.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ thanks for the help chaps.

Yes as people have said it is actually lit up as i pull it out to have a look , and yes it is there to light up the angel eyes.

What threw me was i thought it would also project forward through the lenses which it does not as the lenses is blacked out , but when the light's are turned on it looks like the bulb is not lit up , but in fact it is . it just sends the beam around the angel eyes and not forward.

Now i am just left with the problem on deciding which bulb to buy to replace it with as i dislike the yellow look of the angel eyes !

Thanks again for the help
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

What' the need to change bulbs?

Highway crews use yellow & orange lights for better contrast, + 2 see & be seen, in fog. Fog lamps r yellow for this reason. Euro spec for turn signals r always yellow/orange. headlites yes if they r not xenon type already..
Appreciate 0