XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-15-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
miketangolima80
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '04 Range Rover Vogue

New member and possible future owner of X6

Hi guys, I've been lurking this forum for a while, and it's time for my first post. A little bit of me, my name is Michael from Jakarta, Indonesia.
I'm currently looking to replace our aging 2004 Range Rover Vogue. While it is a great car to drive, it's getting more and more ridiculously expensive to maintain. Recent EAS problem cost us nearly the equivalent to U$3k in parts alone!!
I've been interested to get the BMW X6 ever since it was introduced. I know the style is not for everyone's taste, but it's definitely mine I will be getting the Xdrive 35i version as I don't think I need such power for Indonesian traffic.
I'm married with 1 kid (2 yo baby boy) so the 4 passenger capacity is more than enough for me (at least for now). However, we do have a golden retriever dog that often travels with us. My questions so far..
1. Has anyone try to bring their dog along in the back cargo? How to they fit in there?
2. How 2nd row seat fold? 60/40? I was thinking to fold one seat to allow more room for the dog while the other seat will be fitted with child seat.
My dealer doesn't have this car in stock, and it's on by order basis only, so I can't really look around inside before deciding to buy one.
My wife say if in doubt, why not get the X5 instead, the dog will definitely be comfortable in the cargo area.. but i don't know.. my heart is kinda set on the X6.
We've been looking at Mercedes ML350, VW Touareg, and Range Rover Sport.. but nothing get my heart beats faster than the X6, beside, i dont want another Land Rover.
Thanks in advance guys, I really hope I can work this out
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

Dog Stuff

Click pics to navigate to the BMW USA Website:

Doggie Seatbelt lol

The dog might be kind of cramped in the back of the X6 if you do decide to place him in the trunk area. Depending on his size, that might not be very fair to him. Another thing to consider is noise, dogs have very sensitive ears and riding in tat confined space might damage his ears.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
miketangolima80
Indonesia
Rep

The second row option for dog is probably wouldn't work for me, since it won't leave any space for my son's child seat. Besides, the hard middle console on the X6 wouldn't be comfy for the dog to lay down there..
I wonder, is the second row seats on the X6 foldable? If it folds 60/40, then I can fold the 60 part and leave enough room for the child seat?
Man, the dog takes up way more space than my boy
I guess it is hard to not be able to see at least demo car before I decide to get one. I've only seen 2 X6s on the road so far, and it's amazing car. I did ask my sales guy to contact me if there is an X6 coming in for service/maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

The rear seats in my car are 60/40 fold down. Depending on the size of the dog, put the appropriate side down and put his bed on top. That way he can keep an eye on the baby too. Of course if he wants to wander he could go back into the trunk as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Decisions , decisions, 2 b or not 2b...

whether x5 or x6, if u have kids, & it's ur only car, make sure
1)u get the factory installed roof rails, just in case u need to carry roof mounted carrier box for sports eqt. or bikes.
2) Adaptive drive for less pitch & roll causing motion sickness/throw ups!

X5 is easier for ur wife if she intends to drive. As its easier to back up w/ btr visibility. Get the back up camera for parellel pkg. so u leave room @ the back for access.
If she's tall, then lifting things into the trunk may not be a problem w/ x6.
X5 has a dropped lower gate section that's good as a table for tailgate party/picnics.
& the X6 has NO grab handles over the doors to assist ingress egress.
& obviously, last but not least, no room for granny or inlaws & less rm for rover to ride along.
Wait for the X5 to get the dynamic performance control, then u'll have handling & room.
Or get the x5M now which has room for granny or stroller, DPC for driving agility just like x6, grab handles for gymnastically challenged, & of cause v8 TT power!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
miketangolima80
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
The rear seats in my car are 60/40 fold down. Depending on the size of the dog, put the appropriate side down and put his bed on top. That way he can keep an eye on the baby too. Of course if he wants to wander he could go back into the trunk as well.
That's good to know the seats are foldable 60/40. That's what I was thinking too, fold the 60 part and put his bed there, 1 seat up for my kid's child seat, everyone happy.. i hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
whether x5 or x6, if u have kids, & it's ur only car, make sure
1)u get the factory installed roof rails, just in case u need to carry roof mounted carrier box for sports eqt. or bikes.
2) Adaptive drive for less pitch & roll causing motion sickness/throw ups!

X5 is easier for ur wife if she intends to drive. As its easier to back up w/ btr visibility. Get the back up camera for parellel pkg. so u leave room @ the back for access.
If she's tall, then lifting things into the trunk may not be a problem w/ x6.
X5 has a dropped lower gate section that's good as a table for tailgate party/picnics.
& the X6 has NO grab handles over the doors to assist ingress egress.
& obviously, last but not least, no room for granny or inlaws & less rm for rover to ride along.
Wait for the X5 to get the dynamic performance control, then u'll have handling & room.
Or get the x5M now which has room for granny or stroller, DPC for driving agility just like x6, grab handles for gymnastically challenged, & of cause v8 TT power!
Thank you for the advise! Roof mounted carrier box would be a good idea considering the limited cargo that the X6 have especially with the dog onboard.
I will definitely ask about the adaptive ride option, since this car is only sold by order basis, i don't think it won't be a problem adding options.
My wife has her VW Golf to run daily errands. She prefers small cars for daily use and said our Range Rover is too big for her to drive daily.
You have a point there for the tailgate access and lack of grab handles on the X6 (plus the stroller.. i completely missed that!!)
I know the practical choice would be the X5, and my uncle even suggested full size SUVs like Audi Q7, Mercedes GL or Lexus LX570 as they all have 3rd row seat and about the same size as our current Range Rover. But if my dog is going to tag along, the 3rd row option would be useless, and we feel we don't need a huge SUV for our small family
When we have a road trip with our extended family (my parents and the inlaws), they usually bring their own cars and this doesn't happen a lot, probably only once a year occasion. Although you have a point, it's nice to have room for extra when needed.
Well, while I'm waiting for my Range Rover to be sold, I will have more time to think and come up with a decision. If I'm going for the X5, then I should probably wait for the midlife refresh which rumored to be soon right? not to mention the DPC option you mentioned.
X5M would be very expensive they don't even have that in their price list.. not to mention we probably can't afford it right now
The price list for X6 35i is equivalent to roughly $160,000, the M3 is $180,000.. I recall the M5 was going for $250,000 back in 2007 (it has since wiped out from the price list for unknown reason). Crazy taxes here since the invoice price usually half the final price

Anyway, thank you for the inputs and suggestions! I really appreciates them

Last edited by miketangolima80; 11-16-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

God bless america...

150k for a 35i x6..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
miketangolima80
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
God bless america...

150k for a 35i x6..
Crazy huh? Completely built up cars are charged crazy tax.. from super high import tax, luxury tax, value added tax, etc etc.
Locally assembled cars are charged way less taxes, which is why BMW locally assembled the 3 and 5 series (except the M cars). Mercedes even assembled the entry level S-class locally (S300 and S350)
On top of that, we are required to pay annual road tax.. which depends on the make of the car, engine displacement, and assessed value of the car which is usually higher than the real market value.
Funny insurance is not mandatory here.
So yeah... God bless America, you are very lucky to live there
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

As much as I would like to tell you to buy an X6 , It sounds like you should get the X5. A golden retriever is a large dog and would fit (read can stand up) fine in the back of an X5 ( I've had two X5's and we have a Chow Chow). These days the kids are grown ( well out of the house anyway) so when we go on trips, our dog rides in the back seat (covered with seatsaver to prevent claw marks when he stands up) of our X6.

The dogs shown in pictures here area lot smaller than a Golden. If you have nothing in the back a golden could lay down but not stand up (well would be very difficult), something to consider on long trips. If you are just going around town and need to haul your child and the dog it could work.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
miketangolima80
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
As much as I would like to tell you to buy an X6 , It sounds like you should get the X5. A golden retriever is a large dog and would fit (read can stand up) fine in the back of an X5 ( I've had two X5's and we have a Chow Chow). These days the kids are grown ( well out of the house anyway) so when we go on trips, our dog rides in the back seat (covered with seatsaver to prevent claw marks when he stands up) of our X6.

The dogs shown in pictures here area lot smaller than a Golden. If you have nothing in the back a golden could lay down but not stand up (well would be very difficult), something to consider on long trips. If you are just going around town and need to haul your child and the dog it could work.
Thanks for the insight. Truth to be told, deep inside I know X5 would be more suitable for me.. but the devil in me is keeping me fired up for that X6, so I was trying to make it work (cuz you know the devil's desire is more tempting!! :P) Plus, looking at a white X6 on the street the other day is just.. *speechless* The car is just so bold, X5 is way more subtle.. IMO
The more I think about it, I think I better go with the X5. You're right, it would be cruel if the dog doesn't even have space to stand up, especially on long trips.
So now I hope the X5 facelift will be released soon then!
Appreciate 0