XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
jcarmic
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 50i Carbon Black

iPhone Integration Dock

Did anyone else buy the iPhone integration dock? Apparently when you have your iPhone docked in the device, it basically only hooks it up to the cars antenna. It won't appear as a device I can play music from which was the basic reason I bought it. I thought it would be nice to have the dock there to nicely hold my iPhone and have it fully integrated with the car. I've stopped using it and am just using the normal cord in the console, so now I have a worthless iPhone dock in the way. Anyone else buy that and find the same outcome? Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I will be curious how others respond. I use a lighter holder for my iPhone 3GS that integrates everything via Blutooth. I have a Nano in my console connected with the Y-Cable.

I know that when I hook up my iPhone to the Y-Cable, it is fully integrated with playlists, etc. through the AUX connection. The phonebook and calling features still work through the Bluetooth (but I forgot my phone each time I left the car).
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
jcarmic
Rep
Drives: 2019 x7 50i Carbon Black

I think I may end up doing something similar. I have another iPod I'll probably just connect to the Y-Cable full time since it does power the device and allows it to play through the car. I'll just end up carrying my iPhone in my pocket and on longer rides can still use the dock if I want to charge it or have the better reception through the car's antenna. I'd love to hear other thoughts, but assuming there isn't a great alternative solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I have the smartphone integration with the 3GS adapter, in a 2009 X6 with the "old" iDrive. It works fine for me as to charge the phone, increase reception, and play music--IF I don't have my iPod Nano plugged in at the same time. That's the drawback--if something is using the USB interface and you have the iPhone plugged in to the dock, the car defaults to the USB and you can't use both at the same time. Maybe BMW will fix this, and allow the system to recognize both devices at once, in some future iteration of iDrive (I don't think the "new" iDrive in the 2010 X6 works differently).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
I will be curious how others respond. I use a lighter holder for my iPhone 3GS that integrates everything via Blutooth. I have a Nano in my console connected with the Y-Cable.

I know that when I hook up my iPhone to the Y-Cable, it is fully integrated with playlists, etc. through the AUX connection. The phonebook and calling features still work through the Bluetooth (but I forgot my phone each time I left the car).

+1
exactly what I did for the same reason (kept having to go back to the car). nano on Y, iphone in case on my hip connected via bluetooth.
Appreciate 0