XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #45
2002Drew
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 X5 3.0 E53 Dinan

2012 5M

Thinking of buying a 2012 X5M with 38K miles. What PPI should I be looking for?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:27 AM   #46
runnr548
BMW Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 7 BMWs

Interesting... yes, old thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:35 AM   #47
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Eh toyotas are crap just like anything else. The same suppliers that make Toyota parts make BMW parts and Chrysler parts and Chevy parts, back shortly after graduating college I had a N52 powered Z4 and my roommate had a v6 Camry and it was in the shop constantly and I had literally 0 problems with that car and he joked with me that this isn't how it's supposed to be, I was the one that was supposed to have repair bills not him. He had a bad one just like sometimes you get a good BMW that never gives you a problem. .

German cars tend to be over complicated and over engineered for ultimate efficiency and bragging rights. Remember how many engine awards do you see Toyota getting? They never really innovate they just make an old design better. Their v6 and such have been around for ever, just new reworked versions of the same design but made better. BMW and a few others have won awards on their engines by a big margin because they create new and interesting designs to solve problems they start with a blank sheet of paper but unfortunately the customers get to vet out the kinks.

Don't much care for Toyotas in general as their just appliances to me and lack soul.
I absolutely can identify with almost everything said here in this now old post.

In over 35yrs of driving a lot of miles each year (with a lot at time as part of work I've done for a living to include CDL related driving) to this day the only vehicle that's ever left me stranded beside the road was a Toyota truck I bought brand new & had less than 50k mi on it when the engine lunched itself. For the record, Toyota was HORRIBLE about the entire ordeal even though I had their extended warranty in place when the truck shit the bed.

20+ years later I leased a new Toyota for commuter purposes. I own a Camry now that my college student drives (purchased from family of a coworker). The Corolla I had & the Camry now are completely soul-less. It's like you're playing a driving video game.... your turning a wheel & the scenery changes but you feel nothing.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars if you have a big-boy job. I'm not talking if you're rich, just if you have a real adult job where you don't live hand-to-mouth. The worst vehicles in my life as far as warranty problems, TSB issues & just overall mechanical woes have been ones that said either Honda or Toyota on the hood. That's my experience & despite conventional wisdom, I'm far from the only one that's had these kind of cars experiences with cars like these that have a mythical reputation for never breaking down.

Cars & trucks are complicated machines & the Japanese do not hold some kind of special power of the universe that only they can tap into for vehicle reliability.

Last edited by Rich807; 10-06-2021 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0