XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #23
EYEHAVEYOU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 ZCP IB/IR

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Black wheels have been around for a long time

I'm with you on matte though, not a fan at all. Looks like they were too cheap to use clearcoat
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #24
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell View Post
Why would you post this? Are you offended or sad that people modify their cars the way they see fit? Maybe this is a sign that you're getting old?

I'm pretty happy with my blacked out chrome and flat wrap (clear-bra) and also happy to have something a bit different. Makes me love my car a lot more and that's what counts (to me anyway)
This is the best white M4 I have seen. Just outstanding work here.
      10-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
What a great color. Wrap?
Thanks, yes it's 3M "Matte Metallic Blue"
It's boss. Well done. I hope you've found confidence in your new individual order Alex!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #26
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR
Matte paint color, Blacked out Chrome, Blacked out wheels.

Of course I'm in my 50's and that seems for the most part to be the dividing point, but really believe those 3 accents are a "Flash in the Pan" that will have sudden and brief success into the future like Vanilla Ice.

Your thoughts....
Being in your 50's isn't a dividing point. Every meet or show I go to I speak to ladies and gentlemen of your age who are greatly involved in modding (or whatever you want to call it). They have the financial means, time and experience that younger people don't. It's a personal preference if you want to evolve with the times or stay comfortable, stuck in your past.

As for chrome, I could see it staying on the regular series cars and disappearing on future M models.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #27
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
It's boss. Well done. I hope you've found confidence in your new individual order Alex!
Thanks Tim, I found another dealer in my area that has done individual before so I'm currently working with them...my name is Luc btw, Alex is the name of the salesman who quoted me the "special" individual interior price .
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #28
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
And here is perfect example! I'm on my way to a BMW event and while stopping for gas I spotted this "murdered" Jag! No it's not the stereo type driving, it's a 70+ gentleman. It's got red leather interior too!
Attached Images

Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect
Quote:
Thanks Tim, I found another dealer in my area that has done individual before so I'm currently working with them...my name is Luc btw, Alex is the name of the salesman who quoted me the "special" individual interior price .
Ah! Shit! Great news LUC!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #30
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Being in your 50's isn't a dividing point. Every meet or show I go to I speak to ladies and gentlemen of your age who are greatly involved in modding (or whatever you want to call it). They have the financial means, time and experience that younger people don't. It's a personal preference if you want to evolve with the times or stay comfortable, stuck in your past.

As for chrome, I could see it staying on the regular series cars and disappearing on future M models.
Wow have not responded for a couple days just taking some of the posts in on this thread. Had I known it would become such a sensitive thread for some and some would actually take offense I would not have posted. I stated to "read the thread once" since one member tried to degrade my age as if were "supposed" to mod our cars and be younger than in our 50's, and then stuck his car right in my face, 2 picts to be exact.

Maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but was on an M5 board since 2007 on another site, seems with the M5 I was never treated with such condescending attitudes in such a short amount of time by a select few. My thread topic was not using a matter of fact statements, i.e. like your wording "being in your 50's isn't a dividing point", that's a factual statement, I used words like "seems" "your opinion" "what do you think" etc. read it, non factual just your thoughts. Maybe this site should be just for modded BMW enthusiasts and not for Stock BMW owners, go figure.

As far as mentioning Matte finish, in, or flash in the Pan, seems as many that like the finish responded like they did, but in fact don't have it, with the exception of one 2008 blue one.

The reason I mentioned Matte was simply because from the BMW dealers that I have spoke to in CA, they have on a few occasions mentioned that the matte finish vehicles are coming back to roost on lease returns and are having trouble turning them, even at auction. Good luck trying to sell one.

To me it's offensive to put down the fact that I may not want to mod my car, I look at it different, but again only my opinion, I drive the sht out of BMW's on a regular basis and have for 25 years, I have found them to be the best new car out their from a privately owned auto manufacturer, one of the last in the world, maybe thats because I have never held a BMW more than 3 years. I personally don't want an old modded car that I put thousands into, I want a new one, period.

I owned an 2008 e60 M5, drove the living sht out of it, 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, a 206mph family car, had it for little over 3 years put 90 thousand miles on it and only changed the oil and tires. These are cars that are will built, but feel sorry for whoever bought it, I'd never own a used BMW. Sensors we starting to recognize issues, although, transmission was sealed and 16g to replace, brake job 2g an axle, good luck to whoever bought it since I never touched brakes or tranny.

As far as posting and using the word "chrome" I didnt mean Chrome as in Chromium that cars gave up years ago, I meant the silver brushed aluminum used for years now, that is being blacked out, sorry about that.

I feel modding is a personal affect that one does to something that the original designer did not have in mind. And that's great since we all like being individual, but its just not for everybody in my opinion.

Sorry to rant like this but have always taken offense to others that try and tell me that I am too old for anything. Your only as old as you feel, and were all entitled to our own opinions.

PS my first BMW, 1978, couldnt fit em all in on my signature obviously.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #31
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
At 67 years old, I like to think that age is only a number. I purchased my first BMW in 1977 (and have owned 15 since), so we are close.

I totally agree that "mods" are very personal. I am continually amazed at the scenario where a member proudly posts pictures of the new ///M and the comments are "need to lower it", "should have black wheels", "needs spacers", "that's sure not a color combo that I would pick", etc. etc. - trying to impose their tastes on the member. Oh well.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #32
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Matte is still very popular and if you like it then I'd suggest buying your car and getting a matte wrap done. Being in CA you are close to some of the best wrap guys in the country. At my friends shop I routinely see everything from Rolls Royce, Bugatti, Ferrari to Range Rovers and Teslas getting matte wraps done. Think of it as a protective film and if you lease your car, or sell it after 3-4 years, just take it off and you have the best paint job of any 3-4 year old car.

I also think the black trend will be here for a while. I look at two things. First is all the popular instagram car feeds and how little chrome to no chrome you see on the most popular cars. There's a TON with black wheels and other blacked out or color matched features. Second is the new car industry. I'd have to argue with the one poster about chrome staying in. Just look at the most typical chrome heavy vehicle - a new truck. This is Chevy's new Colorado and it has color matched bumpers and mirrors. The Ford below it is the "Limited" more expensive (no chrome) version. I think a lot of people are over chrome and why removing the chrome grill surrounds is one of the most popular things to do with the M3/M4 (black them out or color match them).

There's always going to be that group of stock guys that think if you do anything to your car outside of stock that you're an idiot. So this post is meant towards those interested in modding their car.

Last edited by Deviant; 10-10-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
Retina
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

I'm a fan of th blacked out movement but switching out the roundels, to me, looks tacky and should be a no-no...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #34
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retina View Post
I'm a fan of th blacked out movement but switching out the roundels, to me, looks tacky and should be a no-no...
Are we talking about BMW roundels or grill surrounds? I haven't seen anyone changing the roundels.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #35
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Those trucks actually look good, especially since they still have a fair amount of silver/gray accents, not black! For the most part I should have been more specific in my post, i.e. silver/gray.

If you take those two trucks, and imagine black grill, black wheels, black ford emblem, black headlight inserts, in other words, no silver/gray color whatsoever, that's what I'm talking about, and they both have it. My Chrome statement was misleading, furthermore have not seen chrome bumbers on vehicles in years since the invention of flex paint. And if the "no chrome version" that you mention is here to stay, it looks way better than if it had chrome bumbers, chrome window inserts, chrome wheels etc.

So "blackout" to the level you mentioned on the Red Limited Ford as we can obviously see since it doesn't look trendy.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Are we talking about BMW roundels or grill surrounds? I haven't seen anyone changing the roundels.
Yes, they are and I have seen it, IMO degrades the Roundel, and degrades BMW. That to me is a sacred emblem, thats for sure.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #37
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Those trucks actually look good, especially since they still have a fair amount of silver/gray accents, not black! For the most part I should have been more specific in my post, i.e. silver/gray.

If you take those two trucks, and imagine black grill, black wheels, black ford emblem, black headlight inserts, in other words, no silver/gray color whatsoever, that's what I'm talking about, and they both have it. My Chrome statement was misleading, furthermore have not seen chrome bumbers on vehicles in years since the invention of flex paint. And if the "no chrome version" that you mention is here to stay, it looks way better than if it had chrome bumbers, chrome window inserts, chrome wheels etc.

So "blackout" to the level you mentioned on the Red Limited Ford as we can obviously see since it doesn't look trendy.
In that case if you don't like the chrome and don't want to black it out there's always the option of color matching the grill surrounds. I know TAG has done that on a few of their cars and I think it comes out fantastic.

And I meant grill surround not roundel in my post above, I edited it.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #38
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
I have the color matched also and think they look great.

Name:  2015-m4-1.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  439.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #39
Deviant
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have the color matched also and think they look great.
Yeah I'm really liking that look. I bought the black grill surrounds but if I wrap my car I may wind up having that piece wrapped as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #40
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

If self-driving cars truly are on the horizon, then the idea of owning your own car is, itself, a "flash in the pan".
      10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
In that case if you don't like the chrome and don't want to black it out there's always the option of color matching the grill surrounds. I know TAG has done that on a few of their cars and I think it comes out fantastic.

That is one of the best modified looks I have seen, looks AWESOME, although question: I have never been able to figure this out, is it practical for a car set up like that to work out as a daily driver? also is the stock M4 ride compromised? Is there some sort of noticeable difference anywhere, or is it just cosmetic?

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #42
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Those 20" "rims" are just a flash in the pan too. The people who bought those 20" wheels in the early 2000's are gonna look like fools once the trend fades around 2003 or so.

JK.
I thought black wheels were gonna fade over time, but they seem to be gaining in popularity. Almost every high end performance car offers black wheels as an option now.

And to some of the others, chrome will never permanently go out of style. It isn't my cup of tea, but chrome is classic.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #43
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Being in your 50's isn't a dividing point....

It's a personal preference if you want to evolve with the times or stay comfortable, stuck in your past.

I'm almost 40 now, and I found myself getting grumpy with current culture (music, movies,etc). But then I had to step back and realize that my critique of "new things that aren't as good as the old" is a trap that isolates me from the changing world. Since then I've learned to go with the flow and evolve with the times a bit. Fun things aren't that serious.

This isn't directed to the OP, its more of personal outburst triggered by RingMaster's comment above.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #44
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I love matte finishes along with black trim. To me, chrome screams...., hood. Mostly because I associate all of the chrome I saw in Detroit to anything with any type of chrome on it.

I don't know, I think matte finish and black give a car a sense of deviance. I love metallic colors as well, but if it's chrome, I'd rather have it blacked out or not on there at all, personally.
Appreciate 0