XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #1
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Hey guys... Can someone explain why I shouldn't delete these? The vacuum is not running my exhaust flaps, and what I've read is that when folks have deleted them, they say there is no change in the car. I've read that they're for fluctuations in sea level etc, but people have logged their cars and vacuum spec hasn't changed or made their way into problematic levels or out of BMW spec. I know vacuum controls the wastegates etc, but I'm just looking to "T" or straight them out of the picture. Is there a reason why they are on either side of the engine bay? On most other BMW engines, they sit next to each other... My goal is to remove the rear bridge in the engine bay, simply cosmetic de-cluttering, but will also offer a nice place to install some catch cans in the future!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
spadesnortheast
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Hey guys... Can someone explain why I shouldn't delete these? The vacuum is not running my exhaust flaps, and what I've read is that when folks have deleted them, they say there is no change in the car. I've read that they're for fluctuations in sea level etc, but people have logged their cars and vacuum spec hasn't changed or made their way into problematic levels or out of BMW spec. I know vacuum controls the wastegates etc, but I'm just looking to "T" or straight them out of the picture. Is there a reason why they are on either side of the engine bay? On most other BMW engines, they sit next to each other... My goal is to remove the rear bridge in the engine bay, simply cosmetic de-cluttering, but will also offer a nice place to install some catch cans in the future!
Is that an aftermarket heat shield over dp's?
Also what Intakes are those..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadesnortheast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Is that an aftermarket heat shield over dp's?
Also what Intakes are those..
The intake is custom...
X5M Intake https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1508868

The turbo blanket is PTP...
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pro...5-m-x6-m-m5-m6
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
9vapors
Major
Rep

Bumping this up... want to de-clutter and could use some guidance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I have been running with no vacuum canisters for a couple years with my tuned N54 Z4.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
I have been running with no vacuum canisters for a couple years with my tuned N54 Z4.
Did you just t them right out of the picture?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #7
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Usually vacuum canisters like that are so that you have enough reserve vac to run things like cruise control or vac operated HVAC flappers. Generally the other vac reserve on a car is the brake booster so it is good to have some extra reserve that is isolated from that.

There should be a check valve on the brake booster and the vac canisters that will keep them under vac when you are under boost.

Generally It probably doesn't matter if you aren't under boost for an extended time (say climbing a mountain) and suddenly need the brakes but it if it occurs it is good to have some power brake vacuum in reserve...

The N62 has a vacuum pump instead of the canisters, I am not sure about the turbo V8's but they might have dropped it to make room for the extra goodies.

-Rich
9vapors651.50
      02-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #8
9vapors
Major
Rep

I've deleted the exhaust flappers... I'm going to try and delete them when it warms up and see what happens... will update then. In the meantime, anyone else do this? I'm trying to remove as many points of failure as possible and one of the hoses on these came off one day and left me in limp mode.
Appreciate 0