XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

help and advice needed - auto tailgate

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question.

My BMW dealer has advised me, that auto tailgate, only works when outside the vehicle, and pressing the switch both raises and lowers the tailgate.

My question is this - Is there any way (even if it is a mod) that I can raise and lower the tailgate from WITHIN the car....do I have to add another button switch

My mate has autotailgate on his Merc ML....and you dont even need to get out of the car.....

has this been done, could it be done.

All help is appreciated. Thank You
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
robinzon
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozx5 View Post
Hi Folks,

Just a quick question.

My BMW dealer has advised me, that auto tailgate, only works when outside the vehicle, and pressing the switch both raises and lowers the tailgate.

My question is this - Is there any way (even if it is a mod) that I can raise and lower the tailgate from WITHIN the car....do I have to add another button switch

My mate has autotailgate on his Merc ML....and you dont even need to get out of the car.....

has this been done, could it be done.

All help is appreciated. Thank You
Your dealer is well... a retard... if your car has premium package and hence automatic tailgate (with the red button in the back). Right next your DTC button there is a tailgate open button... (at the very end of the row... PDC, DTC, etc...) right under the 1-6 buttons...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
ozx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hi Robinzon

thanks mate, i appreciate it....I am in Australia (hoping different countries, dont affect this setup), so I will try and find this button when I head down to a dealer (different preferably now )
and this button will close it as well ??

thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
slednexx
Rep
Drives: bmw x6 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozx5 View Post
Hi Robinzon

thanks mate, i appreciate it....I am in Australia (hoping different countries, dont affect this setup), so I will try and find this button when I head down to a dealer (different preferably now )
and this button will close it as well ??

thanks again
i dont think it will close it. only open.
i think you still have to push red button on back to close.
somebody said the key will close it but i have not been able to
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
esnake
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Just press and HOLD the tailgate button (on car key), it'll close, but u have to turn ignition off in order to take the key out!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnake View Post
Just press and HOLD the tailgate button (on car key), it'll close, but u have to turn ignition off in order to take the key out!!!
you can only open from within the car, holding tailgate button on fob only works outsIde USA.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I just tried this and it works from the inside button just fine, the car was even running. You do have to close it with the red button on the tailgate. I'd worry about your dealer!
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #8
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
you can only open from within the car, holding tailgate button on fob only works outsIde USA.
In North America, X6s equipped with Auto Tailgate can ONLY OPEN from the key fob, cockpit button, or rear lid button. Also, Auto Tailgate can ONLY CLOSE from the inside rear lid (red) button.

Unless you can find some afterrmarket mod or know an electrical engineer, good luck on getting it to close any other way than specified.

Oh, and by the way...

Last edited by BaNaNaBoy69; 08-18-2009 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: Just because.
Appreciate 0