E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Finally ordered new suspension - Öhlins - Any recommendations as to where to fit from

06-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Finally ordered new suspension - Öhlins - Any recommendations as to where to fit from

Hi Guys,

Ever since i bought my 335 about 18 months ago i've been trying to decide what suspension to get. I have considered:

Birds
Öhlins Road and Track
Bilstein B12
Bilstein B14 PSS
Koni Yellows with H&R springs

Among many others. All are obviously top notch but i wanted something which i would be happy with and not change for a very long time. The prices range from £600 to £1800 so obviously it was a hard choice. I wanted something that would give great ride quality on the road and perform well on the track. Very hard to find that IMO.

I have sat in the Birds demo car twice, and it did feel much better than stock. However my plan is to do trackdays every now and then so i'd like the ability to change shock rebound/compression settings. A 2 way adjustment it way out of my knowledge but a single adjusting shock may be ok.

Bilstein B12 - did not like the stance, non adjustable

Bilstein B14 - unsure of the ride quality.

Koni yellows and H&R - this was the option i was seriously considering as there is some adjustability and they get great reviews. However some members have pointed out that the reliability of the shocks varies.

So i am extremely happy to say i have ordered a set if Öhlins Road and Track coilovers. I have wanted this for a very long time as i believe it outperforms most other kits out there. I have tried it out for myself about a year ago and it was astonishing how comfortable the ride was over bumps, whilst also stiffening up on corners. I don't think i need to explain the technology in these dampers as im sure most people are aware.

I have also ordered four new Michellin PSS tyres to go with the Öhlins. Can anyone recommend a place where they can fit the Öhlins, PSS and align at a high standard but decent price? Wheels in motion say £500 for the lot.

I will of course put pics up once complete. My next major upgrade will hopefully be the LSD. Thanks

Last edited by mob17; 06-03-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

.......................at bloody last !!!

Enjoy the ride my friend - will you be the first to put these on a 'd' ? As most are on 'i's' aren't they ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Enjoy the kit, cannot get better than road and track
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

A serious damn upgrade Mo and I know how long you've had your eyes on Ohlins bro... Big big congrats man, you must be over the moon, and what with your new tyres, this will make for an excellent car.

Subscribed and in for pics!!

Well done bro, great work and you will be the first with them on the D!
      06-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Wow, i'm so jealous!! i just ordered my Duke dynamic quad diffuser (400) then found a nail on my PSS so i need 2 new tyres another (400) , just got a set of 313 and getting it refurb at dips (1k all in) I've been on the website you gave me everyday, put the b14 on the cart and then pressing the X on top of the window..I really want mine but really have no more cash for it!!! I was hoping i can get a new set of rear tyres after finishing the set on the trackdays for the summer ( i got around 2.5mm left)

Where do you go trackday? i think we should do a bedford day together =]

Also i'm serioulsy looking at a set of these

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...ct=FMRBK356E9X

Any interest? =]

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
.......................at bloody last !!!

Enjoy the ride my friend - will you be the first to put these on a 'd' ? As most are on 'i's' aren't they ?
Thanks mate Lol yes it has been a very long time! I never thought i'd actually do it but last week i thought thats it, i know what i want so just grow some balls and do it!

I think you're right i'm not sure of anyone who has a diesel that has got Ohlins. A member called phil has them, but i think he has an 325i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Enjoy the kit, cannot get better than road and track
Thanks mate. I can't wait to get them on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
A serious damn upgrade Mo and I know how long you've had your eyes on Ohlins bro... Big big congrats man, you must be over the moon, and what with your new tyres, this will make for an excellent car.

Subscribed and in for pics!!

Well done bro, great work and you will be the first with them on the D!
Many thanks bro. I never realised i'd be the first with them on a D. Surely there must be someone out there?

I will defo put some pics up once the car is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Wow, i'm so jealous!! i just ordered my Duke dynamic quad diffuser (400) then found a nail on my PSS so i need 2 new tyres another (400) , just got a set of 313 and getting it refurb at dips (1k all in) I've been on the website you gave me everyday, put the b14 on the cart and then pressing the X on top of the window..I really want mine but really have no more cash for it!!! I was hoping i can get a new set of rear tyres after finishing the set on the trackdays for the summer ( i got around 2.5mm left)

Where do you go trackday? i think we should do a bedford day together =]

Also i'm serioulsy looking at a set of these

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...ct=FMRBK356E9X

Any interest? =]
Lol i have a nail in my rear vred too. Also about 2mm left so will replace all 4 tyres, then sell my front vreds.

I know exactly what you mean about putting it in your cart, i've done the same so many times! I've finally saved enough to be able to buy it so i thought if not now then never!

I seriously considered the B14 but was just unsure on the ride comfort.

I've never been on a track day before but would love to go this year once the car is sorted. I am looking at Bedford also, maybe June/July. Would be great to go with some members.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yoro: that brake kit looks great but normally aren't they like £3k? And is it just the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yoro: that brake kit looks great but normally aren't they like £3k? And is it just the rear?
They put the wrong discription down. It's the front kit...I might be able to get a good deal!

Yeah, once your car is ready , we should book a bedford day. Not many members here have the guts to go as its a risk for them. I been a few times and people driving there give lots of spaces to each other so its quite fun!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Oh wow! So jealous! A very wise decision based upon u wanting to track the car. No point skimping on suspension! So cant wait for the updates!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Oh wow! So jealous! A very wise decision based upon u wanting to track the car. No point skimping on suspension! So cant wait for the updates!
Thanks mate. I'm currently looking for places who can fit these.

Yoro: stop tempting me spent too much this month lol. But it looks great and price wise good too.

Re the trackday. I definitely need to go this year. Preferably open pit lane for a full day!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Id offer a hand if you were nearer! A man of yr talents should be able to blitz this
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i
Quote:
Yoro: that brake kit looks great but normally aren't they like 3k? And is it just the rear?
They put the wrong discription down. It's the front kit...I might be able to get a good deal!

Yeah, once your car is ready , we should book a bedford day. Not many members here have the guts to go as its a risk for them. I been a few times and people driving there give lots of spaces to each other so its quite fun!
In for track day !
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Id offer a hand if you were nearer! A man of yr talents should be able to blitz this
Thanks mate but i must confess i have never worked on car suspension before. Perhaps if i had a few days spare i could follow a few DIYs, but if something went wrong i'd be fucked!

Currently Wheels In Motion are my first go to place. They charge £430 for fitting and a full 4 wheel alignment. I have heard good things about them. Is the price ok? I don't mind paying a bit more just to get peace of mind that the fitting and adjusting will be perfect. Any other ideas? Ah, might give Birds a call, see how much they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #14
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Congrats on your purchase. I used one of the Ohlins UK stockists for my fitting (Aurok Ltd near Alton, Hants).

http://www.aurok.com/

I presume you've seen the list of stockists/fitters on Ohlins web page?:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/

Not used these, but they look possible:

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index2.php?page=suspension_setup
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #15
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I used one of the Ohlins UK stockists for my fitting (Aurok Ltd near Alton, Hants).

Thanks Phil.

I have been in contact with BG Motorsport, who are down the road from me based at the Silverstone track. Thanks for the link, i'll go through that list of fitters
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #16
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Quote:
Thanks mate but i must confess i have never worked on car suspension before. Perhaps if i had a few days spare i could follow a few DIYs, but if something went wrong i'd be fucked!

Currently Wheels In Motion are my first go to place. They charge 430 for fitting and a full 4 wheel alignment. I have heard good things about them. Is the price ok? I don't mind paying a bit more just to get peace of mind that the fitting and adjusting will be perfect. Any other ideas? Ah, might give Birds a call, see how much they say.
Me neither but i had seen it done and thought there really isnt much to it. I youtubed this video

And then thought it actually is possible and so gave it a try. First day i got 1 rear done...took ages. Next day i got the other rear done within 2 hrs and a front done. 3rd day the final front.

But as you mentioned its not just fitting them...its setting them up properly and getting the corner weightings right etc which for you is mega important as you are going to track. So probably best bet is to get one of those companies that Phil sent to do them
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #17
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post

Phil, do you have to remove your boot lining to adjust the rear shocks, or have you got an extender like this: http://www.hpashop.com/Ohlins-RT-E9x...-extenders.htm

Just wondering if theres anywhere else in the UK where they are available.

Gaza: Love watching DIY vids, will watch that later on. But yeah you're right, I want to get them fitted by someone who can set it all up too. I'm thinking to get them fitted, and after a week get the alignment/weighting done.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Defo get the adjusters cause you'll want to easily vary the damping settings between road and track.

Yes wait a week or so then final tweaking on ride height, weighting and alignment. Mine dropped about 10mm within a week after install
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Phil, do you have to remove your boot lining to adjust the rear shocks, or have you got an extender
Boot lining only has to be removed to fit the dampers. Extenders are supplied as part of the kit. Once everything's fitted, you can adjust to your heart's content with the boot lining in place, using the extensions.

One tip - I found the size of holes to be made in the lining recommended in the Ohlins fitting instructions were not big enough to allow free movement of the adjuster, so the adjusting 'clicks' weren't very distinct. I enlarged the holes slightly, so there is now no interference between the extenders and the boot lining when carrying out damping adjustments.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks a lot phil and gaza
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Should arrive here tomorrow or Friday. Will check the package for the adjusters. If not its £110 shipped (excl tax) from the US

On a side note, it would be interesting to see the drop on the front. I haven't seen a 335D drop so i'm thinking it may be lower than the drops i've seen, due to it being heavier. Never thought about this before ordering damnit! Fingers crossed it should have enough adjustability to go higher.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #22
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
There's plenty of adjustment available, you'll have no problem. My drop was just right as set up according to the fitting instructions. And your diesel won't weigh much more than my 6-cyl petrol...
Appreciate 0