XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #23
reihani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Proxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Please do so, I'm on the Proxes ST2 too and will love to hear your feedback, those are great looking tires, had a new set in my former X6 and sold the car before I had to use them, so never had the chance to drive on Non RFT.....
Some reviews say they are kind of noisy on highway driving
Check out my post: I'm having problems with noise from the front wheels when fully turned. something is making contact. The rear tires also don't appear to be as wide as the stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Regarding the thiner look, I have seen that every tire brand looks different even if they are same size, for example OEM Dunlop's (IMO) look way wider and better than Bridgestone's, but they don't last as long as the Bridgestone's is a treadware matter.

As for the noise when turning, that is very weird and frustrating at the same time, hope is just a easy to fix issue.
Last week, I bought an almost new set of OEM Bridgestone's RFT's from someone that switched to 21's, so I have tires for a long time, Toyo's are not an option anymore
Good luck and send us a feedback on your findings
      05-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #25
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Sorry to hear that you are having rubbing issues with the new tires. Hopefully they are not being cut into at all and ruining the tire.

I have had quite a few sets of tires on my past BMW's from Toyo Proxes, stock runflats, Hankook Evo's and Michelin PSS's. I really enjoyed the Michelin PSS's, but wouldn't spend the money for them again for my X6.

I too would go with the Conti DWS. A bunch of friends have them and swear by them. They are a great looking tire, preform well and carry a reasonable price tag.

You will notice a better overall ride when moving away from run flats. I would highly recommend it. Living in Jersey, I currently have two set of wheels/tires. A winter and summer set. It is not entirely necessary BUT it is very nice keeping my stock 20's fresh and clean from road salt and winter grime during the winter months. Swapping them out doesn't take too long if you have a jack and impact drill.

As far as the person who asked about the TPMS, you will not need to buy new ones. They are pretty much connected and held into your wheels by you air valve steam. Taking the tires off and mounting new tires will not have an effect on your TPMS unless there is a leak in the tire, which will cause the light to come on your dash.

Best of luck with the rubbing and hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #26
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
I found that UTQG (treadware) of the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is 540 AA
So how is the ride with such a high number?
In my poor knowledge, this tire must be very rigid, is the grip compromised in wet conditions?
      05-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #27
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

I'm running Nitto Motivo's which have a UTQG of 560. I'm very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
In my poor knowledge, this tire must be very rigid, is the grip compromised in wet conditions?
People seem to love DWSs, so I think ride issues are a non-factor.

I'm getting mine put on later this week, so I'll chime in with a few firsthand thoughts once that happens.
      05-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #29
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
That number is not meaningful at all, since the NHTSA doesn't do the testing or validate it. It's up to the manufacturer to do their own internal tests on their own conditions. a 540 from Continental, is not the same as a 540 from Nitto, as is a 540 from Falken. They are not directly comparable.

Also, this number is a tread wear indicator, not a ride quality indicator. The sidewall stiffness has more impact than UTQG

DWS, means Dry, Wet, Snow. It's an excellent wet weather tire, and one of the best all-season tires in the snow. It's an above average performer when dry. Don't have snow, see if there is a Continental DW in your size.
      05-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your explanation!
I know it does not mean ride quality indicator, but a stiffer tire can give a more hursh drive than a softer one?
As far as I understand, a high treadware number is has a stiffer rubber which translates to more durability in terms of miles driven, and low number translates in better grip but less durability.
      05-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #31
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation!
I know it does not mean ride quality indicator, but a stiffer tire can give a more hursh drive than a softer one?
As far as I understand, a high treadware number is has a stiffer rubber which translates to more durability in terms of miles driven, and low number translates in better grip but less durability.
I know of a continental tire with a 400+ rating, and the Nitto Motivo with its 500+ rating, though both tires have a 60k mile warranty...

You should not use that number for any basis of harder or softer. Again, the testing system is flawed, and open to interpretation by the manufacturer. If that number has any real validity, its for comparing against other tires from the same manufacturer. That way the testing is at least similar across models.
      05-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #32
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Had a OEM Bridgestone RFTs on my X5M. They were already balding at 14K miles and started to become noisy. I replaced them at 18K because they were so bald and were very noisy. I had to wait 4 months to decide if I should get OEMs or DWS but in the end, I decided to get DWS because my 5 series is also running them and have good experience. No complaints with the DWS - felt like driving a new car again. My criteria for a new tire 1) quiet 2) comfy 3) should last 20K or more miles (I think the DWS should last me 50K miles).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 02:53 AM   #33
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

If you want the best grip for a summer performance. The Dunlop Sport max is the best or Michellin Super sports very pricy though
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
Sa3064
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX6
I'm running Nitto Motivo's which have a UTQG of 560. I'm very happy with them.
I just bought the exact same tires for my 2010 X6M. They are great.

I came from the DWS and these are better, though they both perform very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #35
FrstBmr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
People seem to love DWSs, so I think ride issues are a non-factor.

I'm getting mine put on later this week, so I'll chime in with a few firsthand thoughts once that happens.
Did you get them put on yet?
      05-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #36
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrstBmr View Post
Did you get them put on yet?
Yep. I've had them on about a week now, and love them.

They have a great, solid feel without being squishy, or too harsh on less than perfect roads.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, or recommend them to others.
      05-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #37
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihani View Post
So I got the TOYO Proxes ST II, same size as the stock bridgestones for front and back. First impression: All smiles, made the biggest different, felt like a new car. I had a huge grin driving it again. Stay with me hear: everything is going great, then I notice that the rear doesn't look as wide as the stock tires. How could that be? they're both 315's! But it just doesn't look as wide! So now I'm reading that some 315's are wider than others, some 295's are even wider than 315's....Ok, then i turn the front wheels and i hear something making contact inside the wheel well. Weird. Something isn't right. I'm taking it back in tomorrow. Any thoughts? I'm very disappointed.
I can't comment on the rubbing issue, but the width issue i may be able to explain. The stock tires Dunlops are a very flat profile tire. Meaning the contact area is very flat. Some other tires round up a bit more at the edges where the blocks are. I know when I had Vreds on my other X5 I noticed they did not look as wide as the dunlops. i measures both tires and they were the same width (cross section) but because the Vreds had a totally different tread pattern and edge block design they actually looked not as wide. Could be the same effect you are seeing.

Appreciate 0