XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Laurent
Rep
Drives: 2008 Range Rover sport

Delete Shadow line petition

As most of you probably know, in Europe they can get the sport package and choose to have the shadow line glossy black trim or keep the chrome or even a brushed aluminum trim...

the U.S /canada does not allow that.....

I would really like to have this without having to buy a new chrome trim and get the dealer to install it....

question: can we collectively write a note to the Product Manager of the X6 and see if they will allow this in the U.S. (for example you could delete the spoiler on the trunk of an M5 if you chose to).

I believe the X6 in made in the U.S....therefore, they are already accomodating this for the Europe orders !!! makes no sense...

thoughts anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

guys you got my simpaty!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

good luck with that, all X6's are made at the same plant but only certain options available to certain regions and not others. This is just dumb.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

totally agree with you!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think BMW should only offer chrome or black so people will stop complaining. Either one is fine with me.

it is when they offer too many choices contraversy ensues.

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-08-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

I think it may be possible, but it will require a lot of patience and perseverance! I remember on a previous car order a few years ago I was interested in a paint color that was not on that car at that time. My dealer told me that it was possible to order--and pay for--a color outside of the normal line-up. And this was for a car from Germany!

So what I recommend is that you find a dealer that has an "in" with someone at the factory rather than just a plain old order taker. I would guess that the older more established dealers may have such staff. Again, this is going to require a lot of probing. You may also want to try and contact people at the delivery Spartanburg center. Someone else once told me that (during European delivery) they were able to change out their wheels.

Final thought. I too have sometimes wanted the "other" option, but I must say that depending on what color you choose, the shadowline may actually look nicer! I originally was going to go for the Vermillion Red which I thought would look great with chrome trim, though it wouldn't have been available with the sport package. Then at the last minute I decided to go for Mineral Silver, which with the shadowline trim creates a beautiful contrast! Ditto for the grill. I was ready to switch out the black grill for the titanium which I thought was a more attractive grill, but I must admit that the black grill offers better contrast to the Mineral Silver. In conclusion, you may want to revisit your ideas on color choices some more. I've attached a photo of mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

i like chrom grill much better!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I think BMW should only offer chrome or black so people will stop complaining. Either one is fine with me.

it is when they offer too many choices contraversy ensues.

I just think they should offer the same to everyone , doesn't make sense to restrict particular trim to particular parts of the world when they all go down the same assembly line.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I just think they should offer the same to everyone , doesn't make sense to restrict particular trim to particular parts of the world when they all go down the same assembly line.
+1

BTW: I think our rants actually do translate in some sort of 'silent' feedback to BMW. I noticed that the US website offers some options that weren't there before. For example you can pick the following wheels now as optional accessories:

21" Double Spoke 215 Black Wheel Set $5,495
21" Double Spoke 215 Ferric Gray Wheel Set $5,495
21" Star Spoke 128 Chrome-Plated Wheel Set $6,195
21" Star Spoke 128 Wheel Set $5,545
21" Star Spoke 275 Wheel Set $5,545

as well as other options of course that I didn't list here...

Also, you can now deselect the aluminum running boards if you don't like them...

Now all they have to do is go one step further and let us pick EVERY option just like the running boards, THAT would be awesome!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

All the different options for all the different countries probably drives the people putting the parts together for each car crazy too!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
All the different options for all the different countries probably drives the people putting the parts together for each car crazy too!
It may, but I don't think so. It's all computerized. The assembly worker or robot, on or at the assembly line gets parts feed to it by robots, transport systems, etc., you name it. All parts are already in sequence and lined up by the time they get to the assembly line and all of it is controlled by computer systems. That's why it should NOT matter and they SHOULD give us the freedom to pick and choose what options WE would like on our cars (or which ones we don't)!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0