XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
lndblr
Rep
Drives: X6

Rear Hatch Bumper Protector?

Does anyone know of a solution for the scratching and paint damage resulting from luggage or items being taken out of the trunk.
BMW does not offer a rubber protector for this area.
I notice that other SUV's have rubber or chrome protection over the flat part behind the rear hatch.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Dude-
Rep
Drives: X6M

try 3m Clear bra. Have your local tint or authorize clear bra dealer cut a strip to cover it. I have it on the front and rear and its awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

another solution is the BMW 2 sided trunk mat , carpet on one side with X6 emblem and rubber on the other. it has a pull out piece that will protect taking things in and out but i guess it depends on how aggressive someone is .
looks like this :
BMW Luggage Compartment Two-Sided Trunk Mat
One side is covered with carpet, the other with non-slip black plastic.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=1087
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
another solution is the BMW 2 sided trunk mat , carpet on one side with X6 emblem and rubber on the other. it has a pull out piece that will protect taking things in and out but i guess it depends on how aggressive someone is .
looks like this :
BMW Luggage Compartment Two-Sided Trunk Mat
One side is covered with carpet, the other with non-slip black plastic.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...ProductId=1087
actually, I have that two-sided mat and it's a HORRIBLE design.
the fold-out flap is impossible to stow nicely as it needs to be tucked completely UNDER the trunk mat (which is a little difficult if you have anything at all loaded in the back).

not to mention that while it's TECHNICALLY two-sided, it's actually a doubled-sized mat that's folded over onto itself (crease near the seats, deep in the cargo area) making it a DOUBLE-LAYERED mat. Its naturally folded with carpet-side up, and because of the DUMB DESIGN, it can't lie flat when reversed to make the rubber face upwards. So really, it's a single-sided carpet mat with a poorly-designed rubber bumper protector sewn on at an awkward angle.

i know you probably have no idea what i'm talking about, but trust me, the bumper protection is inelegant and clumsy. totally not worth the hassle.

lemme know if you want pics...

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

How about just be careful taking your stuff out of your trunk??
      08-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
1 on 3m or some other quality protective film. My dealer actually did it for me back in '08 when I got the Car. It covers the top part of the bumper and wraps around the edge about a half inch. 3 years later it still looks good and hasn't peeled
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Doenermann
Emperor
United_States
Rep
Drives: mostly, but walks occasionally

Garage List
2018 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenermann View Post
1 on 3m or some other quality protective film. My dealer actually did it for me back in '08 when I got the Car. It covers the top part of the bumper and wraps around the edge about a half inch. 3 years later it still looks good and hasn't peeled
* 1 that is, stupid phone app. And yes the mat does not replace the protector, but goes down farther when you need it. And when the car is loaded, you could just throw the flap on top
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
lndblr
Rep
Drives: X6

Well. but

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
How about just be careful taking your stuff out of your trunk??
True, but then the hotel bellman pulls something out before you can react, or someone dhelping you unload does not understand the problem. All it takes is one or two sliding suitcases...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by somonster View Post
actually, I have that two-sided mat and it's a HORRIBLE design.
the fold-out flap is impossible to stow nicely as it needs to be tucked completely UNDER the trunk mat (which is a little difficult if you have anything at all loaded in the back).

not to mention that while it's TECHNICALLY two-sided, it's actually a doubled-sized mat that's folded over onto itself (crease near the seats, deep in the cargo area) making it a DOUBLE-LAYERED mat. Its naturally folded with carpet-side up, and because of the DUMB DESIGN, it can't lie flat when reversed to make the rubber face upwards. So really, it's a single-sided carpet mat with a poorly-designed rubber bumper protector sewn on at an awkward angle.

i know you probably have no idea what i'm talking about, but trust me, the bumper protection is inelegant and clumsy. totally not worth the hassle.

lemme know if you want pics...

Would love pics. Was thinking about getting this to protect my bumper when people are taking things out (friend just scratched the crap out of it taking her suitcase out).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Would love pics. Was thinking about getting this to protect my bumper when people are taking things out (friend just scratched the crap out of it taking her suitcase out).
gimme a couple of days. can you be more specific about what kinds of pics would be helpful to you?
lemme know.

-sm
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by somonster View Post
gimme a couple of days. can you be more specific about what kinds of pics would be helpful to you?
lemme know.

-sm
How does it fold up. Can I unfold with stuff in the trunk (laptop bag, etc). How much does it cover, etc.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0