XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

Streaming Pandora and the track/volume information

I'm glad that I've been able to enjoy streaming bluetooth audio, it has been great. I do have a question and I'm hoping you guys will know the answer. I have a Blackberry Curve 9330 and while streaming Pandora the iDrive doesn't display the track information or any other information on the screen. I can skip tracks but that's about it. What could be the problem here?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Out of curiosity, how does one initiate this streaming process. Is it on the menu ?
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
black_fx_35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
Out of curiosity, how does one initiate this streaming process. Is it on the menu ?
Off the top of my head....

You have to select Bluetooth audio as your input method. I haven't streamed pandora, but I stream iTunes all of the time. It's more limited than hooking my iphone up via USB but it is dead easy to do - I just leave my phone in my pocket and don't have to mess with hooking it up, putting it in the console, etc. I will look in detail tomorrow and let you know exactly how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYMAH123 View Post
I'm glad that I've been able to enjoy streaming bluetooth audio, it has been great. I do have a question and I'm hoping you guys will know the answer. I have a Blackberry Curve 9330 and while streaming Pandora the iDrive doesn't display the track information or any other information on the screen. I can skip tracks but that's about it. What could be the problem here?

Thanks!
It's complicated.

In order for bt streaming to support track meta data it needs to support v1.3 of the profile.

Your BMW combox does support this so on the BMW side all is good.

The handset is another matter. And then the app itself may need to support it natively.

I'm not familiar with the bb curve but if you play music from the handset to the bmw just using it's built in music player is track info supported ?

To give you a reference. iPhone with it's latest iOS 4.2.x still only supports bt streaming without track meta data support.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
It's complicated.

In order for bt streaming to support track meta data it needs to support v1.3 of the profile.

Your BMW combox does support this so on the BMW side all is good.

The handset is another matter. And then the app itself may need to support it natively.

I'm not familiar with the bb curve but if you play music from the handset to the bmw just using it's built in music player is track info supported ?

To give you a reference. iPhone with it's latest iOS 4.2.x still only supports bt streaming without track meta data support.

Appreciate your response! This sheds a bit more light as to what I need to be looking for. When I play a track form the phone's player the title is displayed on the iDrive, it's only Pandora that fails to display the metadata, what could the problem be?

Last edited by TYMAH123; 02-02-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

OK, I got it... in order for the iDrive to display metadata the phone needs to have AVRCP v1.3 (Audio Video Remote Control Profile). AVRCP v1.0 does not support the track titles and other metadata. So even though my BBerry 9330 does have AVRCP it only has the v1.0 of it. No help there. Does anyone know how I can go about to upgrade the AVRCP to v1.3?

apw2607, you were correct about the 1.3 profile, now how do I upgrade it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

Update: Looks like my phone, BBerry Curve 9330 does support AVRCP 1.3 as per the specifications. When I play a track from the phone's player the title is being displayed on the iDrive. But when I stream Pandora the track is not being displayed. I seriously doubt this is a problem with the application since a lot of people stream Pandora and the title info is displayed. What else could it be?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update: Looks like my phone, BBerry Curve 9330 does support AVRCP 1.3 as per the specifications. When I play a track from the phone's player the title is being displayed on the iDrive. But when I stream Pandora the track is not being displayed. I seriously doubt this is a problem with the application since a lot of people stream Pandora and the title info is displayed. What else could it be?
Not sure if you can email the pandora dev folks or they have a forum but may be worth posting there. You've ruled out the BMW, and your BB.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Not sure if you can email the pandora dev folks or they have a forum but may be worth posting there. You've ruled out the BMW, and your BB.
Will try Slacker Radio (another streaming station) tonight and report back. Maybe it is Pandora.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Yea ... or simply that the App developer can't get the track info out over AVRCP, or choose not to because the handset OS won't support it. Not sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

Just revisiting this old annoying problem. I've since got rid of my BBerry and now have the Galaxy S3. The phone supports AVRCP 1.3 and supposedly so does the X5. I can play Pandora and all the other music apps through the BT but the track info is still not being displayed even on this brand new and latest phone with all the bells and whistles. I can still skip forward and backwards, the info is not there though. Anybody got any idea about how to fix it?

PS The phone's music player displays all metadata perfectly on the Idrive. So it's not the phone or the car... and it's not Pandora... something's missing...

Last edited by TYMAH123; 07-24-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Quote:
Just revisiting this old annoying problem. I've since got rid of my BBerry and now have the Galaxy S3. The phone supports AVRCP 1.3 and supposedly so does the X5. I can play Pandora and all the other music apps through the BT but the track info is still not being displayed even on this brand new and latest phone with all the bells and whistles. I can still skip forward and backwards, the info is not there though. Anybody got any idea about how to fix it?

PS The phone's music player displays all metadata perfectly on the Idrive. So it's not the phone or the car... and it's not Pandora... something's missing...
I use BMW Apps...start the Pandora app on your phone, then go to the menu and select the BMW App that pops up when Pandora starts (under BMW Apps).
Once it is working, hit menu again and select your device, then select CD/Multimedia. It should then take a few seconds but eventually the track and album art pop up. In addition to the ability to navigate your channels and so forth.
It's not logical and usually pisses me off...but once you are used to the process, it's just fine.

I am using an iPhone 4 so I hope this helps even though you are on BB.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
TYMAH123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzblau View Post
I use BMW Apps...start the Pandora app on your phone, then go to the menu and select the BMW App that pops up when Pandora starts (under BMW Apps).
Once it is working, hit menu again and select your device, then select CD/Multimedia. It should then take a few seconds but eventually the track and album art pop up. In addition to the ability to navigate your channels and so forth.
It's not logical and usually pisses me off...but once you are used to the process, it's just fine.

I am using an iPhone 4 so I hope this helps even though you are on BB.
Thanks! I'm sure it would work but the problem is I don't have BMW Apps... looks like I will have to get them now...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I'm sure it would work but the problem is I don't have BMW Apps... looks like I will have to get them now...
I don't have apps fully working yet, but I can play Pandora via Bluetooth, Album Art & tracks all show up, then again my X5 is a May 2012 build.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0