XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
gunrubandits65
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

hello all! just recently picked up a nice used 07' X5 3.0si for a great deal down in Indiana. Absolutely love the car. was a single owner who leased, then bought, and finally traded in for a new one. so it has some great service history, is immaculate in and out. just rolled 100k so ill be looking into some service coming up, ive been a member of similar forums so I have the knowledge for the search function (no flaming here hopefully).

couple things on my upcoming list:

picking up a nice set of floor mats and a trunk mat. (weathertech most likely)

NEED a pet barrier (Great dane owner)

taillight retro fit upgrade

Halo upgrade (been told LUX is a good route to take)

One thing I did want to bring up is a dinging noise that I cant seem to see or figure out whats going on. after about 2-3 minutes of driving there are four small "dings" but nothing appears to be showing on the instrument cluster or display on the dash. does anyone know what that might be? thought that it might be the Bluetooth connection to my phone? but didn't seem to solve the issue whether I turned my phone off or not. will look into this in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new X5.
However,

On another note I'm still relatively new to the X5 platform, I wish to help with the dinging noise you are experiencing. I'm sure if it were to be mechanical it would show up on the display.

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Welcome to the forums.

If you're looking to buy used, there's a pet barrier for sale on this forum -
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124998
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
gunrubandits65
Rep

HAH! damn got me on my first thread! ok ok pics below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
LastLong
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Welcome and congrats! Cool X5
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 4.8i - Sport Pack = SOLD
- 2007 E70 BMW X5 30si - Sport Pack = SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrubandits65 View Post
HAH! damn got me on my first thread! ok ok pics below.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
nice X5

Are you going to upgrade the wheels or anything? Drop it or what's the visual plan for cosmetics wise minus what you've mentioned?

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
gunrubandits65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Welcome to the forums.

If you're looking to buy used, there's a pet barrier for sale on this forum -
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124998
yep yep I saw that a couple days ago when I was looking, his asking price is higher than the barrier new.. but then again it does come with the mat. might jump on this so ill shoot him a PM.

I also would like to get some bmw 214's (always loved that wheel setup) in the spring, but with the large staggered stance im assuming it would look a little funky without having the wider trim? the plastic trim on mine is flush all the way down, whereas ive seen the larger wheel setup vehicles have the flared trim. does anyone sell this a kit out there? wait wait I shouldn't ask ill search first.. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yep yep I saw that a couple days ago when I was looking, his asking price is higher than the barrier new.. but then again it does come with the mat. might jump on this so ill shoot him a PM.

I also would like to get some bmw 214's (always loved that wheel setup) in the spring, but with the large staggered stance im assuming it would look a little funky without having the wider trim? the plastic trim on mine is flush all the way down, whereas ive seen the larger wheel setup vehicles have the flared trim. does anyone sell this a kit out there? wait wait I shouldn't ask ill search first.. lol
Good eye, yes the Sport & M Sport package equipped X5's have the fender flares. Yes, you can buy those, both OEM and aftermarket, though with aftermarket comes potential fitment issues. There is no 'kit' but you can very easily order the parts individually.

This guy has OEM fender flares for sale. Not sure if price is good or not - you can get the part #'s from realOEM.com, then price shop online to see if there's a better deal.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293529
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

+1 on the fender flare kit, however I have staggered 22" wheels and mine are flush because of the offset I chose, and the spacers for the rear.

Last edited by E70'11; 11-04-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
gunrubandits65
Rep

Wow thanks guys for the input I really appreciate it! Other than matching tint for the front windows, fender flares, headlight/tail light upgrade, and a nice set of 214's I'll keep everything else mostly stock. This is my daily car as I'm working on a v8 Volkswagon Passat wagon weekend warrior at the moment. Has anyone updated the rear bumper cover with the newer 10'-13' bumper? Was wondering if that's simply a cover swap or the underneath is completely different. Also the rear camera sensors im assuming could potentially be different as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I should have noted, you may have some issues with the flares + your current bumper, I thought I read they wouldn't line up? Meaning the flares wouldn't be flush with the front & rear non-Sport bumpers? There's several guys on here who've added these, maybe you could search for their threads, or start a new one specific to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
Beamin09X
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 4.8 Sport Package

Quote:
hello all! just recently picked up a nice used 07' X5 3.0si for a great deal down in Indiana. Absolutely love the car. was a single owner who leased, then bought, and finally traded in for a new one. so it has some great service history, is immaculate in and out. just rolled 100k so ill be looking into some service coming up, ive been a member of similar forums so I have the knowledge for the search function (no flaming here hopefully).

couple things on my upcoming list:

picking up a nice set of floor mats and a trunk mat. (weathertech most likely)

NEED a pet barrier (Great dane owner)

taillight retro fit upgrade

Halo upgrade (been told LUX is a good route to take)

One thing I did want to bring up is a dinging noise that I cant seem to see or figure out whats going on. after about 2-3 minutes of driving there are four small "dings" but nothing appears to be showing on the instrument cluster or display on the dash. does anyone know what that might be? thought that it might be the Bluetooth connection to my phone? but didn't seem to solve the issue whether I turned my phone off or not. will look into this in the near future.
With the dinging noise, check to see in your clock settings if you have the "chime on the hour" selected. I did it on mine just to see and immediately forgot about it. Every time the hour came around while I was driving, I thought something was going wrong and I'm scanning the gauges haha.

Quote:
I should have noted, you may have some issues with the flares + your current bumper, I thought I read they wouldn't line up? Meaning the flares wouldn't be flush with the front & rear non-Sport bumpers? There's several guys on here who've added these, maybe you could search for their threads, or start a new one specific to this?
In my experience, the flares should fit. I bought my '09 w/ Sport package, 20" wheels and I didn't notice for several weeks that the passenger side rear had been replaced with a flush mounted trim at one point in time. I ordered a new flare from BMW (you'll also need the plastic rivets to secure it) and everything went on identical to the other. I have yet to notice a difference in the front. As far as I can tell they all share the same front "flares."

CS1_7239-2 by Chase Shands, on Flickr

CS1_7251-2 by Chase Shands, on Flickr
'09 X5 4.8i // Sport // Cold weather // Napa leather // H.U.D // WeissLicht LED halos // WeissLicht LED fogs // WeissLicht LED plate lights // ECS paint matched kidney grilles // paint matched lower grille inserts // paint matched front reflectors // Muffler delete w/ quad tips // StopTech F/R slotted rotors // LCI tail lights
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
gunrubandits65
Rep

that is on beautiful machine! thank you for your input there on the flares, I will definitely start sourcing the necessary items for the changeover. that is pretty much exactly what im looking for. flares, wheels, minus the front license plate!

Ill definitely have a look at the clock settings this afternoon to see if that's the culprit.. just cant remember if it happens on the hour off hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #14
gunrubandits65
Rep

doing some further searching around and it appears the fender trim swap it direct and wont affect the front or rear bumper. I think in the spring I will definitely upgrade the rear bumper to the 11-13' style along with the fender flares plus wheels. thanks for everyone's help!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
BMW_LBK
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #16
gunrubandits65
Rep

It was the clock!!! lol driving home yesterday I looked down at 3:59 and quickly turned the radio down and sure enough, just as it turned to 4pm it went off. Thanks so much for the help!
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
gunrubandits65
Rep

just did a quick little search and didn't come up with much, but has anyone around here had experiences with poor radio reception? I've found the drivers rear passenger door speaker or tweeter is blown, and my reception is less than ideal. any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #18
Beamin09X
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 4.8 Sport Package

Quote:
It was the clock!!! lol driving home yesterday I looked down at 3:59 and quickly turned the radio down and sure enough, just as it turned to 4pm it went off. Thanks so much for the help!
No problem man. I'm glad that's all it was! It was really freaking me out too. I quickly turned it off.
'09 X5 4.8i // Sport // Cold weather // Napa leather // H.U.D // WeissLicht LED halos // WeissLicht LED fogs // WeissLicht LED plate lights // ECS paint matched kidney grilles // paint matched lower grille inserts // paint matched front reflectors // Muffler delete w/ quad tips // StopTech F/R slotted rotors // LCI tail lights
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

Good eye, yes the Sport & M Sport package equipped X5's have the fender flares. Yes, you can buy those, both OEM and aftermarket, though with aftermarket comes potential fitment issues. There is no 'kit' but you can very easily order the parts individually.

This guy has OEM fender flares for sale. Not sure if price is good or not - you can get the part #'s from realOEM.com, then price shop online to see if there's a better deal.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1293529
Actually BMW does sell a retrofit kit for the flair kit and it comes with all the needed hardware to do the swap.

Theirs dealers out their that will give you 20% off or more from msrp.

For an Internet dealer getbmwparts.com is a good one.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #20
gunrubandits65
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Actually BMW does sell a retrofit kit for the flair kit and it comes with all the needed hardware to do the swap.

Theirs dealers out their that will give you 20% off or more from msrp.

For an Internet dealer getbmwparts.com is a good one.
thanks for the info I appreciate it! picked up some OEM rubber floor mats last week, and bought a Alpine angel eye kit off a fellow member yesterday. hopefully they'll be here by weeks end and ill update with a couple photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #21
gunrubandits65
Rep

one thing that I would like to mention that I have seen the last couple weeks, is that my key isn't always recognized when I push it in initially. sometimes they key will pop up on the screen on the dash, other times it wont. no matter what everything comes on as normal, just sometimes it doesn't recognize the key. Its also starting to get pretty cold here in Michigan in the early hours and I've noticed the last couple days when I start the car its cranking over pretty slow. hoping its just a battery replacement related issue rather than a random power draw coming from somewhere. will need to get the battery tested/replaced if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #22
gunrubandits65
Rep

got my Alpine HID halos installed last night. looks pretty good, definitely bright. as mentioned previously in another thread it doesn't brighten up the outside rings quite like the inside ones, but it'll do the job. Hate the wiring harness that comes along with that, very difficult to find a good clean spot to hide the ballasts.
Appreciate 0