XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #23
theonesupreme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyM5 View Post
Not yet on the injectors, but it is something I think about and keep an eye on.
probably you have mostly highway mileages? or you are the lucky guy who got the car with no mechanic break down at all.

Also, the driving habit makes a big difference, shorten the life of the parts.
the tune makes the parts doing excessive work, so i admit i have to pay for the engine parts. But somehow it has electrical short circuit, it has nothing to do with the mod or tune.

Warranty because the owner doesn't have to think about what is the issue,
just let the dealer handle the problem and return the car in a drive-able condition.

there are minor issues after certain mileages, probably you would say if you are driving the m car, you can afford the repair and maintenance cost.
      02-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #24
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

been burned on previous M's and bmw's beyond warranty period. I use to joke that every component besides the engine in my E38 was designed to fail post warranty .

ended up buying 3rd party ext warranty that dealer offered for both my m3 and x5m . no deductible and serviced by the same bmw dealership.
      02-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #25
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI Alpine White

Great list. I've learned after owning a BMW and Mercedes to just expect to pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

I have a 2012 X5M and have had several things go wrong, but I love the car. I just bought it off our lease and got the extended warranty. I would NEVER own an M car without a warranty.

I have had the AC replaced for smelling like bandaids when it was running
I had the rear Differential replaced under warranty as it was leaking in 2015 just before I bought it off our lease.
I had the valves replaced two weeks ago as they were kicking off errors in addition to various hoses that were starting to fail.
Car just went into Limp mode today which means she's going in again to see whats amis. I think it's left over issues from the valve replacement.

Amazing car, will own it for a long time even though there are issues! Currently 35K miles on it.

-Shroom
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #27
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep

If you don't mind sharing - what was the price and terms of the factory BMW extended warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
I have a 2012 X5M and have had several things go wrong, but I love the car. I just bought it off our lease and got the extended warranty. I would NEVER own an M car without a warranty.

I had the rear Differential replaced under warranty as it was leaking in 2015 just before I bought it off our lease.
I had the valves replaced two weeks ago as they were kicking off errors in addition to various hoses that were starting to fail.
Car just went into Limp mode today which means she's going in again to see whats amis. I think it's left over issues from the valve replacement.

Amazing car, will own it for a long time even though there are issues! Currently 35K miles on it.

-Shroom
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #28
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post

-Shroom
I do enjoy the car very much also...What did you pay for extended coverage
      02-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #29
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

I can't remember but I think it was around 3k. I'll try and look it up and confirm when I pick up the car this week.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #30
carspeconic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Is anyone on this forum familiar with CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection,
I do get many emails from them, my warranty on my 2012 X5M is up in June 2015.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #31
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carspeconic View Post
Is anyone on this forum familiar with CARCHEX Extended Vehicle Protection,
I do get many emails from them, my warranty on my 2012 X5M is up in June 2015.
ask your dealership if they can offer one, whether aftermarket or factory.

Because I assume they are going to be doing the work - they will honor (you would hope) any aftermarket that they sell to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

More issues.

I have the high battery drain going on. they could not figure it out and needed me to go back to stock (car is coded) and yesterday I touched the rear door handle it was hot/warm to the touch. My comfort access was not working on that side too. after some research I believe this handle is causing the battery drain (other bmws with CA has had problems with battery drain and the hot handle), they will need to replace the handle and maybe a module. I am going to push for 4 news handle and a new battery.

Also my starter was replaced for the grinding sound it made on really cold starts (the new starter is smoother than before) I posted about this before and other have noticed this issue.

Carchex has given me a policy with a electronic rider quote for 3 years 30k Miles at $3200 with a $100 detectable. I think this is very reasonable. anyone with experience? I like the piece of mind

But even with this.... I love this car, it is hands down worth it with all of its faults. And I pay 1300 a month but when you drive it, worth every penny
      04-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #33
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Better yet I got a deal with USAA for 1900 for 30k miles and 4 years no deductible .
      04-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #34
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I also looked at USAA - warranty underwritten by Assurant but couldnt find too much about experience with them. Good or bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #35
P6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M sold, X5M sold, X6M current

I bought an extended warranty through USAA (Assuant) when I financed my X5M with USAA. $4k but it already had 60k miles (2011). 3yr, 36k miles. I had a claim a couple weeks ago (2 months after I bought the truck). My local dealer did the work and handled everything with Assurant. I didn't lift a finger and they covered everything. It was a leaking fuel supply line. Getting a gas smell in the car on startup. Total cost was about $900. $3,100 to go to BE. Truck has original injectors.

When I was considering the warranty with USAA I called assurant to get copies of the policy and a retail quote. They wanted $6,500. I told him my USAA price and he said he couldn't touch it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #36
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6 View Post
I bought an extended warranty through USAA (Assuant) when I financed my X5M with USAA. $4k but it already had 60k miles (2011). 3yr, 36k miles. I had a claim a couple weeks ago (2 months after I bought the truck). My local dealer did the work and handled everything with Assurant. I didn't lift a finger and they covered everything. It was a leaking fuel supply line. Getting a gas smell in the car on startup. Total cost was about $900. $3,100 to go to BE. Truck has original injectors.

When I was considering the warranty with USAA I called assurant to get copies of the policy and a retail quote. They wanted $6,500. I told him my USAA price and he said he couldn't touch it.
Thanks. I still have 2yrs left on the warranty, but that's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #37
Pastecchi
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hello All,

I know there has been a lot of back and forth regarding warranty/service contracts on this thread and this is specifically pertaining to best options for service contracts from third-party providers and not BMW. I see USAA above, but could you advise on the below.

I am purchasing a 2010 X5M with 37,750 miles - out of warranty - and wanted to inquire if anyone has advice regarding current service contracts that are available and/or your experience with such.

Endurance.com has a exclusionary plan; however, they only cover 'breakdowns' full failure of a part and only pay the national labor rates which are in most cases lower than any BMW Service Department. They are offering a 3 year/22,500 mile extension.

Warranty Direct offers a exclusionary plan as well, for a bit more money, matches the posted labor rate, and covers wear and tear; however, has a HORRIBLE online user reviews rating, which is causing some major hesitation.

Direct options from Dealers include: WarrantySolutions and EasyCare which are both almost double the price of the Endurance/Warranty Direct options and are both INCLUSIVE warranty's which also causes concern.

Triple AAA through Autoguard wants over $6k for their exclusionary plan.

I thought I had my mind made up on one; but now with so many pros and cons to each, I'm not so sure anymore.

Any real experience or advice regarding any of the above plans or ones not listed would be really appreciated!

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #38
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastecchi View Post
Hello All,

I know there has been a lot of back and forth regarding warranty/service contracts on this thread and this is specifically pertaining to best options for service contracts from third-party providers and not BMW. I see USAA above, but could you advise on the below.

I am purchasing a 2010 X5M with 37,750 miles - out of warranty - and wanted to inquire if anyone has advice regarding current service contracts that are available and/or your experience with such.

Endurance.com has a exclusionary plan; however, they only cover 'breakdowns' full failure of a part and only pay the national labor rates which are in most cases lower than any BMW Service Department. They are offering a 3 year/22,500 mile extension.

Warranty Direct offers a exclusionary plan as well, for a bit more money, matches the posted labor rate, and covers wear and tear; however, has a HORRIBLE online user reviews rating, which is causing some major hesitation.

Direct options from Dealers include: WarrantySolutions and EasyCare which are both almost double the price of the Endurance/Warranty Direct options and are both INCLUSIVE warranty's which also causes concern.

Triple AAA through Autoguard wants over $6k for their exclusionary plan.

I thought I had my mind made up on one; but now with so many pros and cons to each, I'm not so sure anymore.

Any real experience or advice regarding any of the above plans or ones not listed would be really appreciated!

Thank you all!
Have yet to come across anyone he said anything bad about USAA plan
      04-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #39
Pastecchi
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [10.00]
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
Have yet to come across anyone he said anything bad about USAA plan
I don't qualify for USAA; however, I see it is through Assurant which works with CarChex.

If anyone has first hand experience with any 3P Warranty companies besides USAA, I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #40
Tailwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
Better yet I got a deal with USAA for 1900 for 30k miles and 4 years no deductible .
I read this and called USAA. 2012 X6M with 37k on it and factory expires in August this year. Quote was over 8k for a 48mo extension to 100k miles!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #41
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwinds View Post
I read this and called USAA. 2012 X6M with 37k on it and factory expires in August this year. Quote was over 8k for a 48mo extension to 100k miles!
I have moved out of this forum but still subscribed to this thread for now. Related to this post: I priced several from USAA also and I found that at some mileage point the price goes way up. It was something over 35k miles if I recall. But, play around with the estimator and input different mileage and you can see the price jump up.

Otherwise, USAA products are pretty good. And the BMW discounts don't hurt either!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #42
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got a quote from USAA (I have just under 13k miles).
72 months from purchase date or at 75,000 miles on odometer = $2,932.00.

Does that sounds reasonable? I still have 2yrs left on factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #43
Tailwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
I just got a quote from USAA (I have just under 13k miles).
72 months from purchase date or at 75,000 miles on odometer = $2,932.00.

Does that sounds reasonable? I still have 2yrs left on factory warranty.
The months from purchase is from when you buy the warranty from USAA and the quote is only good for a couple months. You would be warranting your car with USAA at the same time as the factory warranty for a period of time. If you have two more years of factory coverage then this would give you 48 additional months up to 75k miles. If you don't put many miles on your car and don't hit the 75k mark before the end of the USAA warranty, then you are paying only $750 a year for four more years coverage. That seems like a great deal assuming low miles (about 10k or less a year) and it's transferable.

In my case it would cost be about $2125 a year for 4 more years of additional coverage up to 100k with USAA. I was only given one option with USAA.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #44
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All good points. I only drive on weekends so I can keep the miles pretty low.
Appreciate 0