XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #23
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Sir will you please post a link to exactly what you have installed?
As everyone said get the usmillworks mount. Make sure it is their quick release one. This will allow you to mount the plate close to the bumper.

You will want the lightened and quick release. Should be $129 or so. You are also going to want to mount it as far to the side as possible. Once you have the swivel ball and tow hook in place, tighten down the swivel some, slide the plate on, and adjust the angle to your liking. Then just lift the plate off, secure the swivel screws tightly and slide the plate back on. The cotter pins will be a b*tch to get on as it is so close to the bumper. I used long needle nose pliers to slide them on.

Link to a post I made about it in my journal. You can see exactly where I mounted it on the plate itself:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=273

Part number for the old school slim oem black steel frame:

82-12-0-010-399

Pic:

Looks like Amazon is selling them still at $30. You do not need screws as you will be using the ones provided in the usmillworks kit. Do use the screw covers though. No need for the spacers.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #24
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy
Quote:
Sir will you please post a link to exactly what you have installed?
As everyone said get the usmillworks mount. Make sure it is their quick release one. This will allow you to mount the plate close to the bumper.

You will want the lightened and quick release. Should be $129 or so. You are also going to want to mount it as far to the side as possible. Once you have the swivel ball and tow hook in place, tighten down the swivel some, slide the plate on, and adjust the angle to your liking. Then just lift the plate off, secure the swivel screws tightly and slide the plate back on. The cotter pins will be a b*tch to get on as it is so close to the bumper. I used long needle nose pliers to slide them on.

Link to a post I made about it in my journal. You can see exactly where I mounted it on the plate itself:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=273

Part number for the old school slim oem black steel frame:

82-12-0-010-399

Pic:

Looks like Amazon is selling them still at $30. You do not need screws as you will be using the ones provided in the usmillworks kit. Do use the screw covers though. No need for the spacers.
You the man. Looks amazing and I've placed my order.

WTF with the tow plate covers popping off on their own??? I hope my right one doesn't go.
      01-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #25
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

No problem, happy to help!

The thing that gets me about the covers is BMW use to have them secured by a plastic extension. That way if they ever popped out you wouldn't loose them. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by doing away with that plastic extension strand. Counting them beans, counting them beans...
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #26
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post

The thing that gets me about the covers is BMW use to have them secured by a plastic extension. That way if they ever popped out you wouldn't loose them. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by doing away with that plastic extension strand. Counting them beans, counting them beans...
Funny you mentioned how BMW use to secure them with the plastic extension, I just recently had to replace my rear tow hook cover thanks to someone hitting my bumper, I decided to get some fishing line, aquarium glue and secure them so I don't lose them again
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 03:30 AM   #27
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post

I just read your build journal and you ruined my life.

Also, that interior!
      01-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #28
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I just read your build journal and you ruined my life.
lol, welcome to the club
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #29
TheVazha
Major
Rep

Got the part and installed it. Quality product for sure, a tad bit expensive but it's really genius in design. I love how it allows you to make fine tune adjustments.

I ordered this POS first and it was just that, a big huge POS.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o04_s00

The Millworks one is the move for sure, just pricey.

Actually, the move is to figure out a way to have your tow hook covers not randomly pop off so you don't have to spend $130 on a license plate holder. That's the move.