XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #155
GWOCwinston
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 35i - E46 M3 - F30 330E

Anyone running MHD on the Avin unit? I've got it working a few times. But it's super glitchy and doesn't always want to connect. Who has luck running an app that has cool boost gauges, oil temp etc. Is the Bluetooth torque obd2 app through Avin the only one? If so, any first hand experience?

Also who's screen mirroring with an Android device? The native sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #156
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I don't have MHD, so I tried it. JB4 doesn't work, AVIN gave me a vague reply basically saying they don't know anything about the chipset as to why it won't connect. I had this same problem with a cheap no name $50 tablet but my LG tablet sees it, so I use that now. While I'd like to be able to run JB4 on the screen, I'm fine with it being on the tablet since that's all it's used for...not that anything bad or crazy is happening, but I won't miss anything changing music tracks or something if I'm not monitoring the JB4 on the stereo.

I've tried mirroring a few times, it'd work OK but then would give me a connection error anytime I did screen inputs via the stereo. I wasn't using a factory cable and haven't tried again with a factory one, so who knows. Mirroring is cool but I don't see myself using it daily at all since I have installed Showbox and Waze directly into the stereo and then I've got an app on my phone that turns on my hotspot when it senses I'm connected to the stereo via Bluetooth. I start Pandora, set my phone down (since I can control it via the screen), fire up Waze for my daily commute and/or Showbox if permitting.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #157
ddydrt
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 35i

I have the Avin screen with mhd installed. it works fine for me until I try to flash from it but Im not worried because I have a spare tablet... the monitoring works great, no lag or anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #158
GWOCwinston
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hmm. MHD only works once in a while. It usually says cable not detected or can't read DME. I have to unplug the USB and/or restart MHD app to get it to work sometimes. I thought I had a bad OBD2 cable, but it fires right up on my tablet.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #159
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Go into Apps and clear it's cache and data, then try again. If that doesn't work, delete the app, use a file browser to make sure all remnants/folders are gone, power down the unit/car for like 3 min and reinstall fresh to see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #160
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Based on the MHD feedback, I’m guessing the xhp tuner app would not work on this either?
      01-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #161
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

These guys seem to be having a go at it:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...eries-t3673558
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #162
Sketro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2013 35i

Avin updates ?

Anyone know when or if there will be updates to the Avin unit software ?

Apart from all the bugs was wondering if the software is being maintained or is this a one time - over to XDA and find a image - type of software going forward ?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #163
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
These guys seem to be having a go at it:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...eries-t3673558
thanks for the interesting link.
i noticed Avin dropped the price for the unit from $489 to $479 and now to $469. maybe a new version is coming out soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #164
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
thanks for the interesting link.
i noticed Avin dropped the price for the unit from $489 to $479 and now to $469. maybe a new version is coming out soon?
Doubt a new version will be released soon but would be nice. The margins on those units must be amazingly high for how old the hardware is in them. I think more info about what is under the hood and the limited compatibility with 3rd party hardware & apps is becoming more publicized so my guess is the cost is being adjusted to reflect closer to its perceived "value". I do appreciate that we have this option over having nothing else available though.

Unfortunately they would probably have to redo the whole PCB design if they wanted to move off the rockchip platform whcih would be a pretty huge task since their daughter board is made specifically for the Rockchip PX3 (ZXW-850B) proccessing board. It will most likely have to be from the ground up again.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #165
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was pissed for a moment when I saw that the price was $20 less than their "Christmas special", but then I remembered that I also got 2 GPS splitters and a backup camera for the GF's car included in the deal...I still feel ahead. At the end of the day though, $480 +/- is still FAR less than those who've paid $800+ for screen mirroring with backup camera, a CCC to CIC to gain little more than a visual upgrade, or $3000+ who got raped for NBT integration without gaining everything else this unit has to offer. While it's not the fastest processor with the most memory, it's not a phone either...it's just a beautiful large screen that adds features for cheap.

Last edited by m5james; 01-12-2018 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #166
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

The platform has so much potential being android based with its custom features, use of the idrive controller, input switching etc. It really would be in their best interest to figure out how to open it up / add more kernel support 3rd party hardware compatibility wise. I think the market would explode if you could do everything you could on a phone/tablet on that.

More and more devices that sit in the car have the ability to be controlled via app. I have a mosconi dsp, torqbyte, carly, additional bluetooth adapter, and usb DAC (tried 2 different) that work with all my other androids (including custom baked odroids that are years old). None of these work w/ the avin, it's a dissapointment to say the least, and something you dont really expect when you see a unit advertised with the android OS.

Right now, I pretty much use it as a screen upgrade, which was a major reason I purchased anyway. Would be awesome to get further support in the future!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #167
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftronix View Post
The platform has so much potential being android based with its custom features, use of the idrive controller, input switching etc. It really would be in their best interest to figure out how to open it up / add more kernel support 3rd party hardware compatibility wise. I think the market would explode if you could do everything you could on a phone/tablet on that.

More and more devices that sit in the car have the ability to be controlled via app. I have a mosconi dsp, torqbyte, carly, additional bluetooth adapter, and usb DAC (tried 2 different) that work with all my other androids (including custom baked odroids that are years old). None of these work w/ the avin, it's a dissapointment to say the least, and something you dont really expect when you see a unit advertised with the android OS.

Right now, I pretty much use it as a screen upgrade, which was a major reason I purchased anyway. Would be awesome to get further support in the future!
here is a competitor version of android unit with 2Gb of RAM and better CPU
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/NaviT...OrigTitle=true
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #168
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnake View Post
here is a competitor version of android unit with 2Gb of RAM and better CPU
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/NaviT...OrigTitle=true
That looks good, currently looking at one
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #169
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Placed my order (with splitter and apple carplay)...thanks for all the input/feedback from this thread. Some of my questions are redundant to what was reported here, but I asked anyway...

Answers in red text from AVIN, they responded same day.

1. Is it possible at vehicle start to default to the 'original car' or 'radio' screens? Maybe it stays at the last know screen at shutoff? Yes, it is possible to set it to return to either original iDrive menu OR the Android menu at each car start.

2. What happens if I'm not in 'original car' or 'radio' screens and I press the idrive buttons? Does it go to the selected screen? YES.

3. The top right of the home screen shows BT, wifi, time, etc. Is this data from the native avin screens (as opposed to the oem screens)? If so, I have to switch to original car screen to see connecteddrive messages, or texts from my iphone that is paried with OEM BT, oem NAV data, etc.)? That top right corner is only for info on the Android screen.

4. I saw a video where selecting reverse didn't switch the screen from a native screen to the oem rear camera. Is that still the case? No. Now with all of the new units that we have in stock whenever you put your car into reverse, it will automatically switch to backup camera mode. Regardless if you are in Android menu UI or original iDrive UI.

5. What happens when I press the oem front left/right camera button on my dash? Does it switch to the camera view if I'm not in 'original car' or 'radio'? YES.

6. Is the 'phonelink' solely for android phones? If so, I need the apple carplay to use my iphone7, correct? Phonelink does Apple AirPlay and Android mirroring. If you want Apple Carplay features and function you will need the USB adapter.

7. Does audio played in the 'radio' (oem) screen go through the avin and back to my car's audio system/speakers? The radio plays the factory sound system the same way as it does now. It does not go through the Android system. All Android audio is outputted to the factory AUX input.

8. If I'm playing audio through 'radio' (oem), can I simultaneously use a nav app in apple carplay w/o loss of music? Or is one or the other? You can play radio and have music playing when you switch over to Android side BUT you can not open any apps including the one for CarPlay. Once you do that the radio would be cut off and only the Audio from the Android side will be played.

Jeremy
      01-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #170
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Thanks Guys for all the info
I have also ordered the wait is killing me!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #171
GWOCwinston
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

After a solid month with the unit.

Pros- nice big screen, perfect fit, modern looking, retains all OEM function.

Cons- software is weak and glitchy. Android OS sucks and not refined.

Final thoughts. I'm still happy with the purchase. 500$ for a nicer scree, updated look and OEM fit seems worth it. I hardly use any of the android functions, keep it on the original screen 90% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #172
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

I had looked over bunch of youtube and picture posted online, with this upgrade original functions on 10.25 screen is somewhat cut-off since it's scale is blown off? is this true?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #173
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
I had looked over bunch of youtube and picture posted online, with this upgrade original functions on 10.25 screen is somewhat cut-off since it's scale is blown off? is this true?
It might be true at the beginning, if it's u case, go to settings, configuration, code 1314
change CAN settings from 6 to 8 or from 8 to 6 depends on what u current settings are, restart the car and see if it works, if it doesn't try different configuration...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 02:17 AM   #174
GWOCwinston
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
It might be true at the beginning, if it's u case, go to settings, configuration, code 1314
change CAN settings from 6 to 8 or from 8 to 6 depends on what u current settings are, restart the car and see if it works, if it doesn't try different configuration...
Oh nice. I didn't know any of these codes. Are there any other settings found with these codes?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #175
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOCwinston View Post
Oh nice. I didn't know any of these codes. Are there any other settings found with these codes?
yes there are other settings there as well, once u'll get there u'll see, I wouldn't recommend changing something else unless you know what u doing but even if you do you can always revert back.
u can change interface, inputs, types of stereo etc.,
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #176
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

I received my unit today.
I have noticed that my screen only comes on with ignition on.
Also heavy distortion from AUX plug and time keeps reseting

Anyone else experiencing these issues?
Appreciate 0