XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
gauthierserkijn
BMW newly converted :)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d (F10)

Advise needed for a new purchase

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to have your opinion on what to buy next.

I'm currently driving a 535d F10 BMW. The care is awesome, engine as well with an incredibly low consumption. Just love it.

Unfortunately, due to some health problem (basically, my back hurts), I have to consider buying another car in which I could enter more easily and have a higher position on the road.

I'm 2m08 tall btw

I have 2 little girls, 1 and 4 years old.

Due to my height, I always have to pull the front seat back to the maximum, hence leaving not much room for the people behind me. (although in my 5 serie, it's still "ok". Not plenty of room but "just enough". Some extra space would be welcome of course)

I love the X6 and planned to buy a 4.0d X6 but everyone tells me that given the room I need behind the front seat, I should consider buying an X5 instead.

What do you think?

Is there more room (for the legs of course) at the back seats in an X6 than in a 5 series?
Is there more room at the back seats in an X5 than in a X6?

Your opinion is most welcome

thanks in advance and drive safe
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
duchozen
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6M / '13 M6 Conv.

I currently drive the x6m and i have to admit that the back seats aren't any more spacious than the F10 or the x5. Plus the roof curves in from mid-front seat so...a test drive should explain best imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Have you thought of 5 GT or 7 series?
X5 will not give you longer legroom between seats
However, if you install two car seats for your girls behind front passenger and in the middle of the rear seat, you should have enough room for your front seat, since no one is going to be behind you
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC
Have you thought of 5 GT or 7 series?
X5 will not give you longer legroom between seats
However, if you install two car seats for your girls behind front passenger and in the middle of the rear seat, you should have enough room for your front seat, since no one is going to be behind you
I had the 550i GT. the wheelbase is 120.7 inches. The rear seat even adjusted rearwards. The driver's seat height was also good for a lateral egress comfort.

However, at 2.08 meter height, you will have the driver seat maxed in any car. The 750iL has an even longer wheelbase - I think 122 inches. And that may be your best fit. The X5 and X6 have about 115 inch wheelbase, for reference.

Test drive time. The 7 sounds like the best fit, Gt second, x5 third...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #5
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

My wife has an X6 (I have another on order for me). I am 1.93 m tall (6' 4"... Hope I am converting properly) and love it.

I have had adults ride in the back with no complaints. I also have the seat fully back when I drive.

My son absolutely loves the backseat (he is 9). I was potentially going to trade my wife's X6 for a Range Rover Sport last week, but my son hated those backseats compared to the X6 (we have the 2+2 seating variant, so seats are very comfortable) plus he loves the rear seat climate control.

I've also found when driving a sedan it is becoming uncomfortable to get in and out with age. The X6 drives like a sedan but does not have that issue - you will be very satisfied!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
gauthierserkijn
BMW newly converted :)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d (F10)

Thanks you so much for all your input guys!

Now I now what I have to turn to

Really appreciated.

Will plan a test drive though, but it already gives me an idea

cheers!
Appreciate 0