E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Gfb 3 wgdc problems

03-18-2024, 01:51 PM   #1
sleeeper90
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Gfb 3 wgdc problems

Hey guys, I’ve installed a Gfb3 paired with a SpeedTech bottom mount kit. My question is has anyone ever had issues with the gfb boost controllers? It’s not really responding when I up the duty cycle. I’ve got a 10 lb spring in the wastegate and on %45 duty it’s barely pushing 12 lbs. I’m fairly new to this but does a lighter spring = higher duty cycle? I’ve ran multiple different boost source routes as per Turbosmart and gfb, along with smoke tested the car 3 separate times looking for boost and vacuum leaks but haven’t found anything leaking. Has anyone ran these setups before and had similar issues? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 04:18 PM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

What are you using for a boost solenoid? And where are you taking boost pressure from for the boost solenoid?

Edit: I don't have any experience with the gfb3, but your symptoms sound like you might just be running on spring pressure? So I'm wondering if something maybe got connected wrong?

Last edited by wheela; 03-18-2024 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 12:35 PM   #3
sleeeper90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
What are you using for a boost solenoid? And where are you taking boost pressure from for the boost solenoid?

Edit: I don't have any experience with the gfb3, but your symptoms sound like you might just be running on spring pressure? So I'm wondering if something maybe got connected wrong?
Im using a Mac solenoid that came with my GFB3. I'm taking boost source right from the compressor housing. I was searching for the solution to this all week, I ran multiple different boost pressure/line routes as per turbo smart diagrams for the wastegate. Re checked my gfb harness, smoke tested for boost leaks.

Finally I solved it after I pulled my wastegate off and found that I failed to plug one of the boost source holes on the rear of it which isn't very visible when its installed, so I plugged that and went back to routing boost lines as per gfb3 manual and it is controlling boost as it should now. It actually is great to use so far, really easy to adjust. I've had it from %10 which is basically off up to %55 which is about 17psi while I'm working on the tune with Wedge.

I know I asked you in the past about boost controllers and youre wanting to maintain dme controlled boost which I was wanting to to also, but after talking with Wedge, they told me they have tons of success with the gfb3 and that's the route I ended up going, I had even ordered on of those pierberg solenoids and still ended up running the gfb. I have no complaints so far, its capable of many boost presets and is easily changeable on the fly, and it could easily be hidden to maintain a clean look inside the car. I'd give it a 9/10.

Also just curious, have you got or still going with a Speedtech kit on your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:45 PM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Glad it turned out to be something simple! What wastegate did you end up getting, and what spring are you running? Edit, I see you mentioned 10 lb spring.

I did get the speedtech kit, but it will be a while before it's installed. I went with a BW EFR 8374 for turbo, so I'll have some fitment mods to work out around the water pump. Also I'm planning (at least initially) on running the stock air duct, so I have some turbo inlet plumbing to work out as well. I got a cheap block for this so I can chip away as time allows. For wastegate, I got the TS hypergate 45. Still undecided which spring to run.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:49 PM   #5
sleeeper90
Rep

Quote:
Glad it turned out to be something simple! What wastegate did you end up getting, and what spring are you running? Edit, I see you mentioned 10 lb spring.

I did get the speedtech kit, but it will be a while before it's installed. I went with a BW EFR 8374 for turbo, so I'll have some fitment mods to work out around the water pump. Also I'm planning (at least initially) on running the stock air duct, so I have some turbo inlet plumbing to work out as well. I got a cheap block for this so I can chip away as time allows. For wastegate, I got the TS hypergate 45. Still undecided which spring to run.
I'm running the TS hypergate 45 too, that came with the speedtech kit, its got a 10lb spring in it as of right now but I'm nearing its limits and am going to put the 14lb spring back in.

That thing is massive!! good choice! Are you doing the install out of the car then on a separate block? I did my swap in the car with the subfame dropped and it was extremely difficult!! It was very tight to begin with, just the turbo and manifold and then it just gets tighter and tighter with ever piece you put on, if you are able it would be much easier to pull the engine and do it out of the car in my opinion, if I were to do it again that's how I would do it. Also, with the angles shown to set up housings to allow the feed and drain lines to work, they didn't work for me and I had to pull manifold and turbo a few times to get them to work, also for me, with the speedtech turbo inlet and 3.5 inch air filter I was no longer able to run the stock location coolant reservoir and had to get a turner relocation kit for the drivers side. All in all the speedtech kit is great,Im very happy with it and the customer service from Jeff@Speedtech, good quality and looks good, I wish it was a top mount to be shown off a little bit more but it was very difficult to install in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper90 View Post
I'm running the TS hypergate 45 too, that came with the speedtech kit, its got a 10lb spring in it as of right now but I'm nearing its limits and am going to put the 14lb spring back in.

That thing is massive!! good choice! Are you doing the install out of the car then on a separate block? I did my swap in the car with the subfame dropped and it was extremely difficult!! It was very tight to begin with, just the turbo and manifold and then it just gets tighter and tighter with ever piece you put on, if you are able it would be much easier to pull the engine and do it out of the car in my opinion, if I were to do it again that's how I would do it. Also, with the angles shown to set up housings to allow the feed and drain lines to work, they didn't work for me and I had to pull manifold and turbo a few times to get them to work, also for me, with the speedtech turbo inlet and 3.5 inch air filter I was no longer able to run the stock location coolant reservoir and had to get a turner relocation kit for the drivers side. All in all the speedtech kit is great,Im very happy with it and the customer service from Jeff@Speedtech, good quality and looks good, I wish it was a top mount to be shown off a little bit more but it was very difficult to install in my opinion.
Cool, I'd love to hear what max boost you can get from the 10 psi spring. Not sure if 20 - 21 is possible with that spring? What kind of boost range will you end up targeting?

Yeah, the 8374 has some pretty big dimensions! It's longer than the kit was meant for, but I really had my heart set on that turbo so I went for it. I'll probably have a shop put the kit in as big chunks of free time are hard to come by for me these days.

So was it getting the CHRA properly clocked that required a few tries for you? Were the angles in the instructions wrong, or was it just tough to get the angles set right? Also, what turbo did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 01:58 PM   #7
sleeeper90
Rep

Quote:
Cool, I'd love to hear what max boost you can get from the 10 psi spring. Not sure if 20 - 21 is possible with that spring? What kind of boost range will you end up targeting?

Yeah, the 8374 has some pretty big dimensions! It's longer than the kit was meant for, but I really had my heart set on that turbo so I went for it. I'll probably have a shop put the kit in as big chunks of free time are hard to come by for me these days.

So was it getting the CHRA properly clocked that required a few tries for you? Were the angles in the instructions wrong, or was it just tough to get the angles set right? Also, what turbo did you go with?
I think I'm about at the 10 lb springs limit, I've had boost taper off at around 17-18 psi, Ive heard roughly double the spring is about its limit, I'm going to swap back for the 14lb spring and shoot for 20-25 psi once the tune is happy.

That turbo will at least get rid of worrying about running a external gate and bov which is nice, Ive found i have to leave my stock bov plugged in(hidden in fuse box) to keep from getting a code. If you have the means to have a shop do it more power to you!!

Yes I pulled it 3 times to reclock it, I felt fairly confident in setting the angles, I used my husky angle finder and a straight edge/square, but it just wouldn't line up for the oil feed and returns,when I used the instructed angles. I tried adjusting the least amount possible at first but after seeing it installed I finally adjusted it in the car to get them to properly line up.

I went with a Pulsar 5862 dual bb with a t51r. its great so far and should get me to where I want to be hp wise
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #8
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, excited to hear how the tuning progresses!
Appreciate 0