XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #1
X5guyCT
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 30i

2009 E70 AUX/USB not working

Hi Everyone,
I bought my 2009 X5 30i in March 2022 and the AUX icon on the media screen has always been "greyed-out" in the Entertainment tab while using the idrive knob. The FM, AM, WB & CD icons are all lit and able to be selected. I never really cared because I never had a need for the AUX or USB ports within the center console….until now.
I just installed an aftermarket 10.5" Apple CarPlay unit that replaces the OEM screen and has a look similar to the newer X5's. It's plug and play and works great but, unfortunately, in order to get sound, the unit requires a 3.5 aux cable to be run from the screen to the aux port in the center console.
Neither the aux port nor the USB port work; I've tested them both and I've checked fuses. I've even replaced the aux/usb/cigarette lighter unit that goes in the center console and that didn't help. I did some research online and found some similar situations where the AUX jack/USB hub unit has gone. I'm not a fan of throwing money at parts, but I found one on eBay for $23 so I figured it was worth a shot. Waiting for it to arrive. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, if a bad hub unit would cause the AUX icon in the media screen to be greyed-out? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:26 PM   #2
NightRide
Registered
Rep
Drives: Previous: E32, E56. Now F07

did you fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5guyCT View Post
Hi Everyone,
I bought my 2009 X5 30i in March 2022 and the AUX icon on the media screen has always been "greyed-out" in the Entertainment tab while using the idrive knob. The FM, AM, WB & CD icons are all lit and able to be selected. I never really cared because I never had a need for the AUX or USB ports within the center console….until now.
I just installed an aftermarket 10.5" Apple CarPlay unit that replaces the OEM screen and has a look similar to the newer X5's. It's plug and play and works great but, unfortunately, in order to get sound, the unit requires a 3.5 aux cable to be run from the screen to the aux port in the center console.
Neither the aux port nor the USB port work; I've tested them both and I've checked fuses. I've even replaced the aux/usb/cigarette lighter unit that goes in the center console and that didn't help. I did some research online and found some similar situations where the AUX jack/USB hub unit has gone. I'm not a fan of throwing money at parts, but I found one on eBay for $23 so I figured it was worth a shot. Waiting for it to arrive. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and, if so, if a bad hub unit would cause the AUX icon in the media screen to be greyed-out? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Hey! I did the same upgrade on the screen, and did need to use the AUX cable, run it from the head unit to the AUX plug in the hand rest. And it all worked fine, until randomly one day the AUX option in the original iDrive menu became gray (unavailable). Did you find a solution to that?
Cheers
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:11 AM   #3
Gassyburger
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 m50d g05

Hello, had similiar problem and bluetooth was not working. I replaced the video module and it worked for me. Check if you see water inside the compartment where the video module is (in the trunk on the left there is a panel. Behind the panel under the plastic tray.) If you see water, then its probably the video module. Sorry for the broken english.
Appreciate 0