XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

X6 Without Sport Package?

This has been so hard to come by, but does anyone have any candids of the X6 without sport? Seems as if everyone has that shadowline trim, and I'd appreciate any candids without.

Thanks!
      07-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

why are you looking for this? What is it that you dont like about the sports package?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Hi Ronald, I ask because I may downgrade from an M to a 50i, but having said that, what I like about the 50i is mostly aesthetic-the chrome kidney grille, the window trim, and its exhaust tips. If the 35i had these, I would go for it instead.

After months of bickering with Hubby, it may be in my best interest to get something less expensive, but still get what I want. I am usually an all or nothing type of woman, but I will compromise here if I get can the exact look I want if it won't be an M. I fell in love with the X6 Concept and thus if I can't do an M, I'll take the concept look-alike (see avatar).

I know the M was all sport, but with the 50i, I don't want to pay for its sport since I like its look without it.
      07-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

ok makes sense. And are you buying it new or second hand?

What specifically do you not like about the sport? I ask because visually, there is very little difference when it comes to the X6. The sport has light grey grills in the front instead of black. And it has the 20 inch wheels. The sport may also have the option of SPORT on the gearbox (not sure about this).

Now the new X6 Performance parts that is a whole other story. But i guess you are not referring to the perf. parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

I don't mind second hand with low mileage (and would prefer it since I'd like to custom paint it to a sophisto/graphite gray), but it seems I may have to order new since it's impossible to find a delaership without a stock one.

The only two things I dislike about the sport is the shadowline trim and the antracite headliner being standard and irreversible. I'm impartial to the mesh grill.

I want to keep the 50i as close to its actual concept as possible, even adding 21" wheels in the near future.

Overall, everything sounds all aesthetic, I know...I wanted the M for its true performance. The 50i, not so much. A 35i will do if only I could get the look.

I read threads where some early X6 owners wanted the chrome option but have grown to love the shadowline. Unfortunatley, I know this will not be me.
      07-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

in europe its possible to order the sport with or without the shadow line. But the anthracite headliner is the real bummer. I also would have preffered not to have the anthracite headliner when i ordered my car.

But since you are planning to spray your car, you can ask for the price of the headliner as a spare part and ask the 3rd party garadge to fit it for you. You can do the same for the shadow line. In parts i expect it to cost you about 1500 USD. Fitting it may be free because they have to remove most of it anyway when they change the colour of the car. Its not a huge job.

So what you would need to decide is is 1500USD retrofit cheaper than having to buy a new car?

over to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Here is one from Flickr, if you have a search for BMW X6 on there you'll find quite a few

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22045827@N04/2337722600/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think you need to get over the trim and headliner and accept the fact the sport seats and steering wheel are important part of the BMW experience.

You are the driver, the interior is what you will use/see the most. Not the exterior, that is for everyone else to look at.
      07-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Is their much difference from standard to the sports steering wheel? My old 3 M wheel was superb and even the loaner 116 m sport has a much thicker sports wheel on than my X6.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

How much we want vs. How much we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVetti View Post
This has been so hard to come by, but does anyone have any candids of the X6 without sport? Seems as if everyone has that shadowline trim, and I'd appreciate any candids without.

Thanks!
I don't think u need sports pkg. just to get shadowline around the windows.
But do take a look at older cars with shadowline 2 c if u like how it ages. Anything black & shiny will visibly show scratches prominently.
People wear rings & grab the doors by the window frames! after a few passengers like that & it shows.
If u drive on concrete hwys. more than asphalt roads, sport pkg. suspension may feel too sharp over the slab joints.
But do get adaptive steering & adaptive drive for better handling in parking & quick transitions/lanechanges.
Sport pkg. incl. xtra oil cooler ( good in hot climate & city driving) & may give u wider rear tires, which will cost more when u replace ur tires for winter or when ur current set wears out.
Don't get too carried away w/ all the options.
I find automakers (doesn't matter what brand/make, all designed & made by fallible humans !) promises more than they can deliver.
Options will make a good & reliable car great, but will not help u enjoy a finicky & unreliable car when it's in the service garage all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
in europe its possible to order the sport with or without the shadow line. But the anthracite headliner is the real bummer. I also would have preffered not to have the anthracite headliner when i ordered my car.

But since you are planning to spray your car, you can ask for the price of the headliner as a spare part and ask the 3rd party garadge to fit it for you. You can do the same for the shadow line. In parts i expect it to cost you about 1500 USD. Fitting it may be free because they have to remove most of it anyway when they change the colour of the car. Its not a huge job.

So what you would need to decide is is 1500USD retrofit cheaper than having to buy a new car?
over to you.

Why does Europe get all the good stuff? The same applies for certain designer styles that I have to travel to purchase as well.

A $1500 retrofit sounds a lot cheaper than the $8,000 or more (35 v 50). Thanks Ronald.
      07-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Thank you UK6, I shall browse through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I think you need to get over the trim and headliner and accept the fact the sport seats and steering wheel are important part of the BMW experience.

You are the driver, the interior is what you will use/see the most. Not the exterior, that is for everyone else to look at.
Chuck, if I only had that type of mentality (sighs). Unfortunately, as a woman who is constantly mistaken for a supermodel, if I lived my life by that mentality, I would (and should be happy to) live in a shab and wear the same frock each day. Don't get me wrong. I am not a shallow person, but on an overall larger scale, I do have standards, and my caliber is what I stand by.

It's what a huge majority of us live by. The eccentric, eclectic...what makes us on the forum truly want an X6, a SAV with the same options in its brethren? It's because it is different. I am part of that "different".

I will reiterate- I'm an all-or-nothing kind of woman. If I cannot get an M, I will "settle" for something else and leave the full "BMW experience" to when I do get an M. It's not a fantasy, just something that can't be done right now.

Every BMW brings joy in its own right. Not having say, sports seats and a steering doesn't make it any less of a BMW than its M counterparts, for the same that not having Audi's S package or Benz's AMG package make them less pleasing to own.

I surely did not feel slighted for having non S or non AMG in past vehicles. I'd pity anyone who fell in the trap that a BMW is not a BMW if it isn't sport equipped.

I do hope you realize my reply is light hearted and not defensive; it may come off as so. (shake hands?)
      07-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
I don't think u need sports pkg. just to get shadowline around the windows.
But do take a look at older cars with shadowline 2 c if u like how it ages. Anything black & shiny will visibly show scratches prominently.
People wear rings & grab the doors by the window frames! after a few passengers like that & it shows.
If u drive on concrete hwys. more than asphalt roads, sport pkg. suspension may feel too sharp over the slab joints.
But do get adaptive steering & adaptive drive for better handling in parking & quick transitions/lanechanges.
Sport pkg. incl. xtra oil cooler ( good in hot climate & city driving) & may give u wider rear tires, which will cost more when u replace ur tires for winter or when ur current set wears out.
Don't get too carried away w/ all the options.
I find automakers (doesn't matter what brand/make, all designed & made by fallible humans !) promises more than they can deliver.
Options will make a good & reliable car great, but will not help u enjoy a finicky & unreliable car when it's in the service garage all the time.

Archwerks
I meant a vehicle without the shadowline. The main options I want are really the premium package and the climate package-anything else is truly on a "buy, buy turn a want into a need" base and I want to stick to my guns and just get what I truly need and a a few options that I want.

Many of the options are tempting, but you know, I've come to live by only getting what you need and one or two things you truly want at a time.

It's kept my marriage safe, my closet manageable, and me a happier individual.
      07-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Good motto.

Quote:

Archwerks
I meant a vehicle without the shadowline. The main options I want are really the premium package and the climate package-anything else is truly on a "buy, buy turn a want into a need" base and I want to stick to my guns and just get what I truly need and a a few options that I want.

Many of the options are tempting, but you know, I've come to live by only getting what you need and one or two things you truly want at a time.

It's kept my marriage safe, my closet manageable, and me a happier individual.
That's a good motto.
I'd recommend the 35i w/ the N55 engine,(I'd stay clear of the n54 unless ur into tuning), it has an 8 spd trans.
The gulf spill will sooner or later translate into higher oil prices,
So unless one needs to tow a boat, trailer, or drag race @ every red light...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Thank you UK6, I shall browse through.

Chuck, if I only had that type of mentality (sighs). Unfortunately, as a woman who is constantly mistaken for a supermodel, if I lived my life by that mentality, I would (and should be happy to) live in a shab and wear the same frock each day. Don't get me wrong. I am not a shallow person, but on an overall larger scale, I do have standards, and my caliber is what I stand by.

It's what a huge majority of us live by. The eccentric, eclectic...what makes us on the forum truly want an X6, a SAV with the same options in its brethren? It's because it is different. I am part of that "different".

I will reiterate- I'm an all-or-nothing kind of woman. If I cannot get an M, I will "settle" for something else and leave the full "BMW experience" to when I do get an M. It's not a fantasy, just something that can't be done right now.

Every BMW brings joy in its own right. Not having say, sports seats and a steering doesn't make it any less of a BMW than its M counterparts, for the same that not having Audi's S package or Benz's AMG package make them less pleasing to own.

I surely did not feel slighted for having non S or non AMG in past vehicles. I'd pity anyone who fell in the trap that a BMW is not a BMW if it isn't sport equipped.

I do hope you realize my reply is light hearted and not defensive; it may come off as so. (shake hands?)

Understand, so why get a BMW? Especially a sport activity vehicle without the sport?

The main attraction for X6 buyers to looks, handling performance.

If all you are after is looks, there are a lot cheaper vehicles out there.

So when you say you want all or nothing, you really want a little of something and you are hugely compromising.
      07-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Understand, so why get a BMW? Especially a sport activity vehicle without the sport?

The main attraction for X6 buyers to looks, handling performance.

If all you are after is looks, there are a lot cheaper vehicles out there.

So when you say you want all or nothing, you really want a little of something and you are hugely compromising.
I think you are missing her point. And there are three points Jade makes:

1. First she does not like the Shadow line and the anthracite Headliner in the sport mode. many women are far more Aesthetically inclined than men, and know very clearly what they like and most importantly dislike. At the same time, I hate to see so many women dislike something and then dont fight for themselves to get what they want. Jade though doesnt want to make that compromise. And i think there is a clear way to achieve that.

2. The 2nd point is an interesting one. About how we are coxed into paying so much more for the m-sport, or S-line. Personally i wouldnt buy a BMW without the M-sport because i appreciate very much that extra bit of flair. But 70 to 80% of BMW's sold are not m-sport models. And I have checked, and BMW never mistakingly advertises BMW's without the m-sport (sport mode) as being any less of a BMW! i think that if jade does not benefit in any way from the SPORT option, it would be very stupid for her to pay so much more for it. I believe in paying just for what you will appreciate and benefit from, dont think of others and enjoy!

And incidentally, having a good looking car and seeing others appreciate it is of real value to the owner as well!

3. At this point, Jade wants a BMW and nothing else.

Last edited by ronald_adi; 07-03-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Chuck you clearly see my reasoning for owning a BMW different than yours. My reasoning does not make it invalid, for the same token as I don't see your point as worthless. I understand that it's your opinion and why you want/have a X6.

But to ask "Why get a BMW?" My answer: "Why NOT BMW?"

The Bimmer Heads marketed the X6 as a sports activity vehicle. That not be taken literally. More than half of the X6 owners will even drive on untarred roads. Based on your presumption, anyone who does not plow their X6 in the sand, dirt, or any other terrain other than their local streets and highway should not buy an X6 either.

In the end, I want an X6 like you do. I just don't want the shadowline trim on mine, like you do. If I were in Europe, and I was allowed the option to keep my chrome trim and have sport, that would make me valid and my point worthwhile to you. Luckily, I live for me. I'll say it again- I pity anyone who falls into the trap believing that a BMW isn't a BMW unless it's sport equipped.

I see that some men may snub other men that drive a BMW without the sport package. However, I am woman that does not snub other women just because their Hermes is not a Birkin or Kelly like mine. We can all enjoy Hermes, the same way we can all enjoy BMWs.

Now. Have you seen or do you know where I can find candids of an X6 without sport package?

07-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
That's a good motto.
I'd recommend the 35i w/ the N55 engine,(I'd stay clear of the n54 unless ur into tuning), it has an 8 spd trans.
The gulf spill will sooner or later translate into higher oil prices,
So unless one needs to tow a boat, trailer, or drag race @ every red light...
The n55 engine debuted in the 2009 or 2010 model, correct? If the X6 came in diesel I'd prefer it above all, and I wish BMW would consider marketing the diesels in the US.
      07-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #19
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
I think you are missing her point. And there are three points Jade makes:

1. First she does not like the Shadow line and the anthracite Headliner in the sport mode. many women are far more Aesthetically inclined than men, and know very clearly what they like and most importantly dislike. At the same time, I hate to see so many women dislike something and then dont fight for themselves to get what they want. Jade though doesnt want to make that compromise. And i think there is a clear way to achieve that.

2. The 2nd point is an interesting one. About how we are coxed into paying so much more for the m-sport, or S-line. Personally i wouldnt buy a BMW without the M-sport because i appreciate very much that extra bit of flair. But 70 to 80% of BMW's sold are not m-sport models. And I have checked, and BMW never mistakingly advertises BMW's without the m-sport (sport mode) as being any less of a BMW! i think that if jade does not benefit in any way from the SPORT option, it would be very stupid for her to pay so much more for it. I believe in paying just for what you will appreciate and benefit from, dont think of others and enjoy!

And incidentally, having a good looking car and seeing others appreciate it is of real value to the owner as well!

3. At this point, Jade wants a BMW and nothing else.
(Slaps thighs) Yes, right on the marker with these points.

I guess everyone will know it's me when they see a chrome trim X6 in NY then. Ah, well....
      07-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #20
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

n55 is 2011 model. the first examples only came out begining of summer 2010, which they seem to be already calling the 2011 model.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep

Just Found Out on Another X6 Forum

If anyone is interested...I just found out that all US 50i models can have both chrome trim and sport drive. The adaptive drive is now a separate option, therefore allowing those who like the chrome trim to keep it.

The sport package includes the adaptive drive along with a change in the window trim to shadowline and a change in the headliner to anthracite.

Life is Good.

07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

that means you have to buy a new 50i? or u go for retro fitting a 35i?
Appreciate 0