XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Inner Front Lights on a M50d ?

Could somone tell me, as the M50d does not have foglights in the front bumper due to the large vents (same as the X5M) and has Xenon high & low beam which are the outer lights (closest to the side indicators) and has led halo's, my question is this:

On RealOEM.com under the front light diagram section it shows the inner lights for this model with Xenon lights has a H8 35w bulb installed, now I know on the older version of the E70 X5 the halos were run by the H8 35w bulb but the LCI model now has led halos, which the M50d has also.

So have they now activated the inner light to run as a fog light? the RealOEM diagram shows the H8 bulb for this M50dx, and it cannot be for the halos as led light part is shown for that in the same diagram.

I also know there is no front foglight button on the dash beside the main light switch (only the rear fog light-follow me home button is there). I have tested (although the M50d is still in transport mode - computer etc not activated yet- not pre-delivered) the lights by turning on the lights and flicking on the highbeam but the inner light did not come on under either high or low beam. Also the inner light has a lense so you cannot see a bulb anyway.

Can anyone comfirm that the inner lights will work (as shown in the RealOEM diagram) on the M50dx and or has anyone got the inner lights to work?

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
Mentat
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M50d

I don't think there is a fog lamp/function...

But for the moment X5/6 m 50d are a "secret"; tis is strange, as the first cars have already been delivered!

I want to order an x6 m 50d, but only official infos... (rare)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

If you're asking if they have the additional cornering bulbs in the inner lights, then I don't think that is the case, since according to the BMW TIS on X5/X6 that is against the regulations.
      06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW x5 3.0i

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
You could always retro fit some aftermarket ones in the plastic mesh on the lower bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephansonTieu View Post
You could always retro fit some aftermarket ones in the plastic mesh on the lower bumper.
Yes, after checking the lights on my X5 M50d the inner light section behind the DRL controller (part 18 on the RealOEM) on the back there is no bulb installed behind this plate and the actual inside plastic plate is flat.

So you are right in the fact that the only way to install some fog lights is in the mesh area, but

One of the local BMW smash repairs shops in going to give me a couple damaged front lights from a LCI model and I am going to see if I can convert the inner light section to accept a bulb as some version do have a bulb, mainly the halogen versions.

The inner light on the Xenon model X5's is actually 90% setup, it has a lense, reflective inner housing etc, its been built to have a bulb so I don't think it would take to much to accept a H8 35w foglight bulb, some X6 models I believe actually do have a inner operating light.

Anyway as a last resort if it cannot be done I will install a couple small foglights in the lower mesh area, the are a pretty standard size and fairly common across a large range of BMW cars, it should be fairly easy find a good match.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW x5 3.0i

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Yes, after checking the lights on my X5 M50d the inner light section behind the DRL controller (part 18 on the RealOEM) on the back there is no bulb installed behind this plate and the actual inside plastic plate is flat.

So you are right in the fact that the only way to install some fog lights is in the mesh area, but

One of the local BMW smash repairs shops in going to give me a couple damaged front lights from a LCI model and I am going to see if I can convert the inner light section to accept a bulb as some version do have a bulb, mainly the halogen versions.

The inner light on the Xenon model X5's is actually 90% setup, it has a lense, reflective inner housing etc, its been built to have a bulb so I don't think it would take to much to accept a H8 35w foglight bulb, some X6 models I believe actually do have a inner operating light.

Anyway as a last resort if it cannot be done I will install a couple small foglights in the lower mesh area, the are a pretty standard size and fairly common across a large range of BMW cars, it should be fairly easy find a good match.
I wish you best of luck my friend!
luckily my old bimmer has foglights. C:
Appreciate 0