XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
twozzie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i Xdrive

Headlight cover removal

The inside of the headlight on my 2009 looks to be dirty or losing its clarity or going opaque, make sense?
It looks like I need to take the covers off, clean the insides and reinstall, do I need to take the entire headlight out to do this or can the covers come off on their own? Any ideas?
Adaptive with Xenon
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Either way you'll have to remove the entire head light assembly most likely. You sure its not an exterior dull/yellowing? Something that the typical plastic polishers address?

That said if you have to get into a modern headlight, you'll most likely have to bake your headlight to loosen the sealant, pry apart from housing, and address issues. Then reverse assembly. Not hard, but not for the technically inept either. This is covered ad nauseum across the interwebs by lots of other forums, installing HID projectors into standard halogen headlights.
Appreciate 0