XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
skim175
Private
Rep
Drives: X-drive

X6M winter setup question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have to get a winter tire setup for my X6M. I used to have a winter car but not any more. I checked my dealer for 298M style and he is asking for $4700 including an installation. So, I am thinking of just swapping tires using current wheels. I may get a new tire/wheel package for summer as my current ones are getting old. I found that people are getting 275/40 R20 Front and 315/35 R20 rear same as an OEM summer setup. I thought that a narrower the better for the winter. Is there any reason not getting 275/40 all around. I think that a rear wheel can take this size. If I am wrong, let me know. Any input/suggestion will be appreciated regarding a tire size.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Probably due to the nice people at BMW giving us umpteen different yet strangely unique hubs and offsets; tyres for which appear rarer than hens' teeth to acquire.

275/40/20 would fit the rears on your car.

I got an OEM set of 19s for my X6 40d for winter use (I hope they will still fit my upcoming X6 M50d) and these have bigger rear wheels yet same size rubber all round which enables the car to get better grip in snow/ice - that would be my only reservation with opting for wider winter tyres at the back.

Anyone bought ebay sets and then messed around with hub rings and/or spacers to get decent set up for winter on the M car?

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited by snipez999; 10-08-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0