XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

so i guess the upcoming M5 and M6 are going to share there "front" also ???
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Have you driven an 08+ Cayenne Turbo with PDCC (Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control)? The driving experience is UNREAL. You truly cannot believe you are behind the wheel of a 2.5 ton SUV. It handles like a 911 NO JOKE. Go look at the handling figures for the 08 Cayenne Turbo with PDCC you'll see it can outhandle an E46 M3...The numbers don't lie.

If the ///M X5 & ///M X6 can perform similarly then i'll be glad to have the ///M badge on it cause then it'll truly deserve it!
Handling is not a quantifiable measurement, it refers to the subjective feel of a car. The Cayenne Turbo may be quicker than the E46 M3, even around corners, but it will never out handle it.

I have driven the 911 (996 Carrera and 997 Carrera S) E46 M3 (I'm in the market for one) and the Cayenne (Turbo and GTS) before you ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #25
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Handling is not a quantifiable measurement, it refers to the subjective feel of a car. The Cayenne Turbo may be quicker than the E46 M3, even around corners, but it will never out handle it.

I have driven the 911 (996 Carrera and 997 Carrera S) E46 M3 (I'm in the market for one) and the Cayenne (Turbo and GTS) before you ask.
++1 No doubt about that. ///M SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

I hate the car but love the wide fenders, I wish they would have done the same for the new m3
      01-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #27
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by godora View Post
so i guess the upcoming M5 and M6 are going to share there "front" also ???
I will literally throw up and commit suicide the day this happens, or I guess I can also go buy an e63 instead right?
      02-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #28
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

nice move bmw.....I like it...how many horses again?...around 550 I hope , I hate those those tailpipes...they look small and dark...anyway I think this X5 will be a monster! though Im still not sure will it compete with the 6.3....
      02-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #29
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Thumbs up Umm... yep, that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Point taken and that is why I mentioned the economic slump in the previous post. Well, I guess it was inevitable. Like I said though, I personally will never buy any SUV for the track. In my opinion they should be left for soccer moms, off roading, and those who would like a sports car but have no alternative.
IMO, that's exactly why they should be building this. Maybe I can shed some light on what type of customer would purchase this. In my case, I share a passion for both cars and motorcycles. Were I to finally pull the trigger and get an M3, then I would be sacrificing track days and trips to the mountains on my Duc. I know its an SUV, but it serves both needs of function and performance. I'll most likely never put it on the track, but to me that's not its purpose. To each his own opinion about why they should not being using the "M" badge, but... if they can build a more powerful, communicative, fun and inspiring driving experience than my current 4.4, I'll be one of the first in line.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
IMO, that's exactly why they should be building this. Maybe I can shed some light on what type of customer would purchase this. In my case, I share a passion for both cars and motorcycles. Were I to finally pull the trigger and get an M3, then I would be sacrificing track days and trips to the mountains on my Duc. I know its an SUV, but it serves both needs of function and performance. I'll most likely never put it on the track, but to me that's not its purpose. To each his own opinion about why they should not being using the "M" badge, but... if they can build a more powerful, communicative, fun and inspiring driving experience than my current 4.4, I'll be one of the first in line.
+1

it is necessary for me to have an SUV, if BMW can create one that gives me a better drive experience than my current car (which isnt that great at all), im all for it and could care less if it has an M badge.

i still fail to see why people are taking it to heart
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #31
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Completely understand. However, they could make a super sport package or something similar with more power without badging an SUV with ///M. That is all I'm trying to say. The M division has always been able to "kept it real" and I personally see this as them giving in. As long as they cont to make great sport cars like the m3/5/6, then I'll be happy
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #32
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

Theres two types of everything objective and subjective.
Objectively: The Cayenne Turbo PDCC outhandles the E46 M3
Subjectively: Well thats open to interpretation...

I have also driven all of the above listed cars...Doesnt change my view on anything

Yea feel for the road, bmw is one of the best, but thats not the only aspect of a cars handling...
      02-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #33
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

What the hell

How can BMW make M versions of its SUVs and not make an M version of the 1 series? Idk it just bothers me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #34
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaday51 View Post
How can BMW make M versions of its SUVs and not make an M version of the 1 series? Idk it just bothers me.
To cater to the masses my friend...baby boomers, men whos wives will not let them buy an M3/6, people who want the practicality of an SUV and not a true sports car. Its all about marketing and it sucks but what are we going to do. BMW had to give in with the state of the economy. Yes, an M version of the 1 would be awesome. Now every Joe Smo will go out and buy wanna be "M" Not for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #35
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab View Post
To cater to the masses my friend...baby boomers, men whos wives will not let them buy an M3/6, people who want the practicality of an SUV and not a true sports car. Its all about marketing and it sucks but what are we going to do. BMW had to give in with the state of the economy. Yes, an M version of the 1 would be awesome. Now every Joe Smo will go out and buy wanna be "M" Not for me.
Aren't you contradicting yourself there a bit?

You are saying that it would be great to have the 1 as an M but since BMW now decided to make an M version of the X5/X6 that every Joe Smo would be able to buy one... Well IF the M division decided to make an M version of the 1 series, wouldn't that fall within the reach of every Joe Smo????
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #36
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself there a bit?

You are saying that it would be great to have the 1 as an M but since BMW now decided to make an M version of the X5/X6 that every Joe Smo would be able to buy one... Well IF the M division decided to make an M version of the 1 series, wouldn't that fall within the reach of every Joe Smo????
Well, first of all, I didn't mean to offend anyone by my statements so please don't take it personal. However, I respect constructive criticism. I personally have seen very few 1ers on the road but tons of x5s and x3s. The problem most people I know that drive BMW have with the 1 is 1) its size and 2) it's aesthetics. They would rather bite the bullet and pay 5 grand more for a 3 series. Another example would be the M/Z4M. It didn't do that well either compared to the m3/m6. I can imagine an M version of the 1 would be one fast little bugger though. I guess people need a happy middle ground and the m3 and m6 have fulfilled that role.

Last edited by Aro1; 02-03-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #37
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab View Post
Well, first of all, I didn't mean to offend anyone by my statements so please don't take it personal. However, I respect constructive criticism. I personally have seen very few 1ers on the road but tons of x5s and x3s. The problem most people I know that drive BMW have with the 1 is 1) its size and 2) it's aesthetics. They would rather bite the bullet and pay 5 grand more for a 3 series. Another example would be the M/Z4M. It didn't do that well either compared to the m3/m6. I can imagine an M version of the 1 would be one fast little bugger though. I guess people need a happy middle ground and the m3 and m6 have fulfilled that role.
Fully agree with you. And I didn't take it personally and I wasn't trying to step on anybody's toes either

Looking at the figures of the 135, it already is a fast little bugger!
Just imagine what M could do with it... However I don't think it will ever happen (at least not in the near future anyway)!

I think some people (namely the M5 and M6 crowd) would be pretty peeved if M would bring out a 1 series M version. This is purely looking at the performance vs. price tag issue between those models.

Now the X5M and X6M talk to a different crowd compared to the M3/M5/M6 and whatever else M versions out there. I'm sure that the M division had a LONG hard look at the sales figures of Mercedes and Porsche when it comes to high performance SUVs and figured that this is money they are letting the competition have. I can understand the point of the 'M purists' out there, however, the M division is after all a business and if your bottom line shrinks (especially in the current economic climate we are in), then you have to look at what you need to do to change this or possibly even to survive.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #38
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Fully agree with you. And I didn't take it personally and I wasn't trying to step on anybody's toes either

Just imagine what M could do with it... However I don't think it will ever happen (at least not in the near future anyway)!

I think some people (namely the M5 and M6 crowd) would be pretty peeved if M would bring out a 1 series M version. This is purely looking at the performance vs. price tag issue between those models.

Now the X5M and X6M talk to a different crowd compared to the M3/M5/M6 and whatever else M versions out there. I'm sure that the M division had a LONG hard look at the sales figures of Mercedes and Porsche when it comes to high performance SUVs and figured that this is money they are letting the competition have. I can understand the point of the 'M purists' out there, however, the M division is after all a business and if your bottom line shrinks (especially in the current economic climate we are in), then you have to look at what you need to do to change this or possibly even to survive.
+1
I've said it a few times lately , the world economy has changed and that means the auto world as well. It's not just a downturn but a fundamental shift, folks will have to live within their means. Cheap credit is gone, this will have big impact on everyone from VC's who relied on cheap credit to fund startups to folks that relied on cheap leases to drive cars they could not really afford.
All of which effects the auto world.

It's not likely to go back to what it was, BMW will do what it needs to do in order to survive.
Bottom line if BMW doesn't sell a lot of what the "purists" don't like they will not be spending money developing niche cars like M3/M5/M6/MX5/X6/MX6.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #39
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

+1 Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
What a shame....very disappointed in BMW. Never thought they would take marketing this far in order to attract the the SUV/family crowd. Their ability to keep sports cars pure as possible has always made them stand out, esp. the M line....now they feel they have to compete with the Porsche Cayanne and Mercedes AMG. What happend to the M motto, "no form without function" They need to stick with coupes and sedans. No way an SUV will ever handle as well.
I am in agreement here; In this climate of market decline, why bring out a car that NO ONE will buy!!!!
Beats the hell out of me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
Daniel B
X6 Driver
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
What a shame....very disappointed in BMW. Never thought they would take marketing this far in order to attract the the SUV/family crowd. Their ability to keep sports cars pure as possible has always made them stand out, esp. the M line....now they feel they have to compete with the Porsche Cayanne and Mercedes AMG. What happend to the M motto, "no form without function" They need to stick with coupes and sedans. No way an SUV will ever handle as well.
Please! Try to think outside the box...
It's 2009 who says that a sport car must be small and impractical?

BTW...Please read what the guys that did build your M3 call the X6...
SAC...

Last edited by Daniel B; 02-04-2009 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #42
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Please! Try to think outside the box...
It's 2009 who says that a sport car must be small and impractical?

BTW...Please read what the guys that did build your M3 call the X6...
SAC...

"Sports activity"-fine-but not an ///M version which is supposed to represent something more pure in the sense of a sports vehicle. Never have been an x6 fan either. The x5, however, does serve it's purpose. Guess I should "think outside the box" more. Oh, well. To each his own
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #43
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

cant really see a big difference from those spy pics ! cant wait til it really comes out
      02-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

This is going to be a supremely capable vehicle but I agree with many others that historically BMW has no business building M vehicles that are turbocharged or that are SUV's.

They should create two distinct lines, tii and M.

Plaster tii on every model for all I care but reserve M for the cars that are developed in the motorsports program. Last time I checked there was no track based racing class of any kind for SUV's.

The reason this would never work is that M is too recognizeable and tii to obscure. But if they put a half assed effort into marketing tii it would work.

They are using AMG as their target but the M Division and AMG come from two completely different places. M was created out of BMW's desire to be in Motorsports, AMG was an aftermarket tuner of Mercedes that did such a good job AMG brought them in house.

If the concept was the same AMG would be running MB's F1 team not McLaren. I believe currently AMG are allowed to place a couple decals on the McLaren F1 car but thats about it.

I am proud to likely have the last normally aspirated V8 M3.

Now if they wanted to slap a couple turbos on my X5 and call it a tii I'd be all over it - but its not an M car.

I think they sold out and M now stands for Marketing. Guess they have to do what they do to make a buck.

Rant complete...