XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Rear Camber/ toe fix

I run the 2” H&R drop in my E70. Unfortunately, the stock adjusters only allow so much adjustment. We drive a lot and prematurely went through a set of 315/35/20 DWS06 tires.

Previous rear alignment wasn’t great but, was the best they could do with the lowered stance and factory adjustments. Camber and toe as close to 0 as possible. In order to get the toe in or close to spec requires the camber to be -1.7 to -2.0*. There is a fine line with the lowered rear, either way too much - camber or toe.

Wednesday I saw the tires were garbage and I ordered replacements. My buddy also had his X5 aligned on Wednesday and he is running the same suspension as me, but his rear is .5” higher than mine. He went to a reputable Bmw Indy/ race shop and they couldn’t do much better than my previous alignment due to factory adjustment limitations. Since I’m a little lower, I knew I needed to get more adjustment out of the rear.

I searched for a rear camber solution as I need to get more than 12-15k miles on a set of tires. I found and ordered a set of SPC camber arms from BimmerWorld. These are nice parts and I was very happy with the overall quality and fitment.

My tires arrived Thursday along with the camber arms. I installed everything and got the X aligned today. Rear camber is now -08* and toe is back in spec.

I’m very happy! If anyone is having an issue with getting the rear aligned post lowering or if you just want more adjustability, order these camber arms.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Rear-Uppe...X5-E71-X6.html
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Awesome! I was looking at the KMAC bushings but this seems like a cheaper and better option
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Camber under -2.5 is not a killer of tires. Camber of <-2.0 is absolutely not a killer of tires.
Camber of <-1.0 is an absolute killer of performance.

Toe kills tires PERIOD. All it takes is 1/8" or more or about 0.2 or more degrees and you'll get premature tire wear.

Cool solution, and I like SPC products. But I wonder when it's really needed... Because again toe kills tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I’m well aware toe kills tires. What you are missing is you cannot get toe in spec with that much negative camber using only the factory adjustments. PERIOD This is why SPC and other sells camber arms/bushings. It allows toe to get in spec with factory camber settings.

I thought my post was clear. It’s an issue with lowered X5’s that max out the factory adjustments, which mine did.

Killer of performance? Lol it’s a 6klb, diesel SUV. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Camber under -2.5 is not a killer of tires. Camber of <-2.0 is absolutely not a killer of tires.
Camber of <-1.0 is an absolute killer of performance.

Toe kills tires PERIOD. All it takes is 1/8" or more or about 0.2 or more degrees and you'll get premature tire wear.

Cool solution, and I like SPC products. But I wonder when it's really needed... Because again toe kills tires.
Appreciate 0