XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Quick Advice! Gone in 180 seconds!

I would strongly suggest for our UK members to have a 3rd party tracking device on your BMW! Mine was gone in just over 3 mins from infront of my flat!! Caught the guys on CCTV but were wearing hoods! But I still have both set of keys with me!

Called BMW about their crap security system but they can only sympathise! Pathetic!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Sorry to hear that. With all the CCTV Cameras in the UK too bad they could not catch their faces.

I asked for a lojack / boomerang system but was told that it was a waste of money. They will not immobilize the vehicle and the thieves put them is shielded containers a few blocks from the scene. They are then transported to the nearest port and shipped to a country with lax enforcement.

We used to hang horse rustlers now we send car theives to lock smith schools at taxpayer expense with free room and board because they are "socially disadvantaged".
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

There are world wide gps tracking devices so you can find it once it was out of the container but then what, if it's in a non Euro/US country not likely you would get it back anyway. At least you can take the video to your insurance company as proof.

Sorry about this, just sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car has been recovered in a container on the way to port with several other stolen cars! (as informed by the detective). The recovery unit where the car is currently kept confirmed that the car HAS keys!!! The car was actually recovered few days after it was stolen but only released recently. I suspect the police were just waitng for the right moment to bust the operation!

This must be the worst purchase ever! Crap security and how could a set of keys be made on a brand new car!!! Have not collected the car yet and Insurance is absolutely not helping either!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
I hope you're not blaming BMW. There is only so much a manufacturer can do. If a thief wants your car, they will get it. No alarm in this world is fool proof.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

My E92coupe got nicked two months ago; the guy who nicked it even got his picture taken by a speeding camera at 4.16 am, they still did not find the car. After all the talk with some security people the wheel strap on the steering wheel is also a good deterrent (am not saying it should be the only one, but it is a cheap one). It is mechanical and it may make thieves look someplace more convenient. I just ordered an x6 which is probably the most wanted car by thieves. Now comes the punch line, one of the security guys told me that in THEORY one can disable the engine by the mobile phone, you just have to send a message (or dial a number, not sure). I told him, yeah I know it could be done, but then he said that in THEORY it also could be possible to activate an airbag while driving, which would be a big bummer for the thief (Of course it would have to be a real expert for the car and of course it would be illegal…). Am glad they found your car! Below is a photo of my E92 (I loved that car). p.s. I find it amazing they had new set of keys with your car already
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

"confirmed that the car HAS keys!!"
as far as I know only one that can code the keys is BMW or someone associated with them. But I would not rely on BMW security alone, even if they can't start the car they can always pick it up with a fork lift and put it on a truck bed.

Some remote functions like those that have been talked about here would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes. Nothing is foolproof. Manufacturers can only do so much and these urban 'pirates' will always find creative ways to exploit any loopholes. I have not collected the car yet and my best hope is that the keys were duplicated and there have been no tampering with the ignition etc. Although insurance has agreed to bear any cost associated with repairs, I would not want any potential problems with the electronics in the future.

I've spoken to a friend at BMW and he suspects that someone currently or formerly associated with BMW may be selling information.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

When I misplaced one of my keys ( later found it ) I had to order from BMW and provide a bunch of information. Then the car had to go to dealer to get key/car reprogrammed. I suspect if there is keys then this is an "inside" job so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is how the land pirates got in! But it still pisses me off that they managed to clone a key! Just waiting for the new lock & keys and a few touch up work (dent & long scratch).

Even if the pirates get caught and prosecuted, I'll doubt it if they'll suffer much in jail! They'll probably get hired by BMW to test their new car security features...like computer hackers do!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0