XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2016, 01:58 AM   #1
boyhero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

Audio/Connected App Unit Issues

I have a 2013 X5 and the audio interface is awful.

I connect via USB and the audio will go in and out. Sometimes it will just switch from podcast to music on my phone randomly.

If a video is playing the audio is on about a 1 second lag.

I try to use the Connected Apps (i.e. Pandora and Spotify) and it rarely works for more than 1 song. Even then it goes in and out.

The images for tracks doesn't always update.

I could go on...

I brought it in to BMW and they said the software is all up to date. And that it worked fine...(I doubt they even tried to for more than 10 seconds).

Does anyone else have any issues? Solutions?

In my VW I installed a Pioneer App Radio and used Apple Car Play. Worked like a charm. I was hoping BMW could do a little better at least!

Thanks!

-BoyHero
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
Servord
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35D

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 28D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 35D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyhero View Post
I have a 2013 X5 and the audio interface is awful.

I connect via USB and the audio will go in and out. Sometimes it will just switch from podcast to music on my phone randomly.

If a video is playing the audio is on about a 1 second lag.

I try to use the Connected Apps (i.e. Pandora and Spotify) and it rarely works for more than 1 song. Even then it goes in and out.

The images for tracks doesn't always update.

I could go on...

I brought it in to BMW and they said the software is all up to date. And that it worked fine...(I doubt they even tried to for more than 10 seconds).

Does anyone else have any issues? Solutions?

In my VW I installed a Pioneer App Radio and used Apple Car Play. Worked like a charm. I was hoping BMW could do a little better at least!

Thanks!

-BoyHero
I have similar issues with my 2011 35d. I just use Bluetooth now and in occasion it will still revert back to playing the songs on my phone in alphabetical order even if I start out with a podcast, TuneIn, or even a playlist of songs on my iPhone. My dealer has given me the same response but it's still SNAFU to me.

BTW another reason I don't use the USB port for music is because of the trickle charge it delivers to my phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
mlee4984
Slow M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP

Same issue, Bluetooth delay and when I leave the car with the phone, it doesn't always connect back. The audio info doesn't always display on Pandora or Spotify. It's sad...

2014 Citrin Schwarz Metallic M5
2005 Interlagos Blau Metallic M3
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Not just that but connects and disconnects on the phone call which is a Pia plus it disconnects media and goes into radio at high volume, arghhh
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Its definitely software. I had to insist that they do the update that came out in 2012 (I believe) since it wasn't on the brand new E70 2013 we bought. Subsequent to the update, I exclusively stream Sirius and Pandora while connected to Bluetooth and I get current data including info about the commercials that are running on Sirius channels. Actually more info than by tuning into the SAT station and better sound quality too.

I can get even get descriptions from playing youtube videos as well as info from embedded video on newspages that I happen to open while connected to bluetooth.

The challenge is taking time to go to the dealer and staying in the waiting area while they examine it so that when they come back with the claim that its updated, you ask them if they in fact updated it. I don't know what it costs the dealer to do the update, but they seem to not want to do it unless you insist.

We have a E92 2011 that I took back the day after the update was done in the X5 and I had to go through the same drill even after saying I would personally pay for it. After much grumbling, they charged me $125 and the update worked quite well. All the info that I get in the E70 I also get in the E92.
Appreciate 0