XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3, 2013 X5 35d

Water pooling on back door sill - help needed

I've noticed recently after a rain that when I open the back door on the driver side in my E70, water seems to dump out. I can't quite tell where it's getting caught and collecting. When I open the door, a cup or so runs out. It's almost like there's something on the bottom side of the door collecting it and when I open the door, whatever is preventing it from draining out opens up. I don't see anything obvious and there is no apparent water in the interior. No issue with the other 3 doors. No running boards and it collects even without driving, so I don't think it's coming up from the bottom. Suggestions?
2013 Jerez Black E92 M3 DCT ZCP | PFC Z54/Z45 BBK | MCS 2-way Remote Dampers | Hypercoil 600/900lb Springs | Ground Control Race Camber Plates | Bimmerworld Control Arm Bearings | Powerflex Sway Bar Bushings and Shock Mounts | EDC Delete | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake | Akrapovic Exhaust | Bimmerworld Race Studs | CSF Radiator | CSF Oil Cooler | Bimmerworld Power Steering Reservoir | Euro MDM | Lux H8 160 | BMW CF Front Splitters | BMW CF Competition Rear Spoiler | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | HRE R43
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Deftronix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d & 20 X7 M50i

Did you switch out the running boards or did it come without? I ask because when you switch out the mounting brackets (the supports that go behind/under the running board or sill) you are suppose to use silicon sealant in the bolt locations before putting bolts in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

Didn't come with running boards.
2013 Jerez Black E92 M3 DCT ZCP | PFC Z54/Z45 BBK | MCS 2-way Remote Dampers | Hypercoil 600/900lb Springs | Ground Control Race Camber Plates | Bimmerworld Control Arm Bearings | Powerflex Sway Bar Bushings and Shock Mounts | EDC Delete | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake | Akrapovic Exhaust | Bimmerworld Race Studs | CSF Radiator | CSF Oil Cooler | Bimmerworld Power Steering Reservoir | Euro MDM | Lux H8 160 | BMW CF Front Splitters | BMW CF Competition Rear Spoiler | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | HRE R43
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

It is your water barrier (neofoam) no longer sealing against the door. It is a simple reinstall of it with new butyl sealant.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
s65m3fan
Private
United_States
Rep

So the water barrier wasn't the problem. All intact and drains were free flowing. Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65m3fan View Post
So the water barrier wasn't the problem. All intact and drains were free flowing. Any other ideas?
look for waterspots on the bottom of the door to see where it is coming from. There really are only few possible reasons:
1) water barrier not sealing
2) drains are plugged
3) door seals are not sealing and allowing water to come in from top in rain/ car wash
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
mkrugger
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5, 2014 BMW 435I Con

I had the same issue and had to replace the rubber seal around the door. Everything worked normally after the replacement
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had the same problem on the passenger side rear door, but it's been a year now without an issue so it appears to have resolved itself ...... but your right a lot of water does suddenly just dump out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It is very normal for water to get past the window sill gaskets and collect in the bottom of a door after rain. It is also normal for water to 'spill' out of the door after it is opened and water is flung towards the drain holes in the bottom of the door. If you habitually park in the same place, or the car always sits at the same angle then water will usually collect in the same place (i.e. never the other door)

It is not an issue with a defective moisture barrier unless your door drains are 100% clogged (seriously think about that one- there would have to be at least 6" of water in the door to reach up past the door edge cutout to the butyl barrier sealant) Water will collect in the door but it's not being sprayed against the barrier with any force.

It's not an issue with a door weatherstrip since no water is collecting INSIDE the passenger compartment.

It's the car doing what it's supposed to do. All of my BMW's do it too, don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

I just had this problem as well. Opened the rear door after a heavy rain and and a bunch of water came out. I thought my daughter had spilled something back there!

That much water collecting on the sill is not normal. I also noticed that the lower portion of the leather panel showed signs of water wicking up, I've had the X5 for around 4 months now, who knows how long it has been going on. Thankfully it didn't start getting into the car and into the rear carpets.

The issue is no doubt the vapor barrier on the inside of the door. This barrier directs the water that comes down from the window to the drains inside the door. If the barrier isn't sealed at the bottom, water collects on the sill of the door, and can eventually soak the rear floorboards. This is common on the E39, fixed them on my M5 when they started leaking.

I've attached a pic where I used some silicone sealant to seal the bottom of my barrier. There was only one small spot where the OEM sealant failed, but I reinforced the entire bottom for good measure. Tested no leaks and should last for a good long time.
Attached Images

kern4174445.00
      08-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
I just had this problem as well. Opened the rear door after a heavy rain and and a bunch of water came out. I thought my daughter had spilled something back there!

That much water collecting on the sill is not normal. I also noticed that the lower portion of the leather panel showed signs of water wicking up, I've had the X5 for around 4 months now, who knows how long it has been going on. Thankfully it didn't start getting into the car and into the rear carpets.

The issue is no doubt the vapor barrier on the inside of the door. This barrier directs the water that comes down from the window to the drains inside the door. If the barrier isn't sealed at the bottom, water collects on the sill of the door, and can eventually soak the rear floorboards. This is common on the E39, fixed them on my M5 when they started leaking.

I've attached a pic where I used some silicone sealant to seal the bottom of my barrier. There was only one small spot where the OEM sealant failed, but I reinforced the entire bottom for good measure. Tested no leaks and should last for a good long time.
Still don't think it's that because if it was plugged you would have standing water in your door, as theirs probably 2 liters worth of water their before it spill over the edge. When I opened my door and had all that water spill out I took off my door panel to inspect and the inside of the door was dry and the seal was also dry.

I think the two door seals hold water like a bowl, the inner and outer keep the water their between them till you open the door, however the water wicks and gets in their im not sure but I know the two seals keeps it their till you open the door and let it out.

It keeps it out of the interior though and that's all that matters anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Water was running down and past the bottom butyl, it would run into the car but also a portion of it would fill up the weatherstrip internally and drain when the door was opened. That sounds like your issue. See is your weatherstrip is full of water.
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0