XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
DrftJnkies
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35i

Second row seat removal?

Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction on how to remove the second row seat - its a 60/40 split (Not sure if that's the only option) with third row seating. Anyways, I have a display on my both my instrumental panel and navigation screen stating "rear seat not locked." I moved the second row seat forward and basically pulled out roughly $8 in change from the previous owner and there is a much more in the crevice where the seats lock in place and from what I understand the seats only slide back and forth and doesn't lift up(Besides the one directly behind the front passenger seat). I won't be able to retrieve all the coins without removing the seats. I am guessing the warning display is on my screens because the seats are not properly locked. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I didn't know there was a sensor...I've had one fall down before while driving with no warning because I didn't lock it all the way up.
Edit: Maybe just a third row seating thing.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs

Last edited by jandref321; 08-08-2017 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: add sentence
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I had this warning come up once, I did a quick seat adjustment of the 2nd row and never saw it again. Very strange error, for sure! So you can't clear the iDrive error/message?

I do have 3rd row, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
DrftJnkies
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
I didn't know there was a sensor...I've had one fall down before while driving with no warning because I didn't lock it all the way up.
Edit: Maybe just a third row seating thing.
I am guessing there is a sensor since there is the warning on both my gauge cluster & nav screen. It has the comfort access, not sure if that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I had this warning come up once, I did a quick seat adjustment of the 2nd row and never saw it again. Very strange error, for sure! So you can't clear the iDrive error/message?

I do have 3rd row, FWIW.
I tried sliding the second row back and forth, up and down and no luck. Nope, the I am not able to clear it. The seating symbol seats on my gauge cluster the whole time while I am driving along with the "rear seat no locked" on the nav screen. Its annoying. I am going to try and clear all the coins that fell into the little crevice pocket where the seats slide back and forth and hopefully it clears. I already pulled out over $10 in change by now and there is still more.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Is there power running to the rear seats? There are three "microswitches" in each half of the second row. It looks like they are only mechanical and not electrical but they may be sensors for the second to to show if they are locked or not. I spent a good 30 min looking around on realoem and can't find another location for the sensor. It's either in the seat railing or in the seat itself. Look for power running to the seat or rail and look at these schematics:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3359

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3360

2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
DrftJnkies
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Is there power running to the rear seats? There are three "microswitches" in each half of the second row. It looks like they are only mechanical and not electrical but they may be sensors for the second to to show if they are locked or not. I spent a good 30 min looking around on realoem and can't find another location for the sensor. It's either in the seat railing or in the seat itself. Look for power running to the seat or rail and look at these schematics:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3359

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=52_3360
Not sure what you mean by power running to the rears? Sorry, still a newbie. I'll be messing with it this weekend to see if I can find a sensor or anything on the railings or seat. Thank you for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Have a look at this post

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...r+seat+-locked
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknbimmers View Post
Search function FTW.

OP, looks like the microswitches inside of the seat are the sensors. They have electrical power running to them via a wiring harness. The owner in the link above doesn't describe how he narrowed down the affected switch maybe a multimeter? The microswitches are $50 each so not sure you want to replace all of them. You could take it to a shop to test them or buy a multimeter and google "test a switch." It could also be a pinch in the wiring harness so look out for that too.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

OP - You don't state if you have the optional 3rd row or not.
Either way, I am not sure of all the differences but there ARE differences in the 2nd row depending on if you have 3rd row or not.

I have the 3rd row. Both sides of my 2nd row can slide Forward-Back AND will lift up and forward toward the front of the vehicle to give access to 3rd row. This is in addition to the seatbacks folding forward and down. Lots going on there, and each action / position is sensed by a micro switch.

I do know that if the seat is not 'clicked' in all the way after being moved, it may or may not give me the error you see (depending on how far away from being 'clicked') and sometimes if I start driving the seat will loudly click into place. This is usually from the second row moving backward when I accelerate.

I have become accustomed to giving the seats a good tug after I move them to make sure they are 'clicked' into place.

To your question about power, the micro switches (at least some of them) are wired to detect a seat out of place when you put it in Drive. Also I know my 2nd row has heated seats, so def power running there.

I agree with checking your micro switches, but removing ALL change and foreign matter from everywhere possible first, is a better and cheaper fix and might help.
Good luck!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0