XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #23
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I got the catless OEM pipes on last week, they did trip the CEL. So I went and got a tune as well, it is louder now for sure and you can really hear the turbos whistle now. If you like quiet, eisenmann and catless pipes are not for you. On the hiway I don't hear the exhaust but apply any amount of throttle and you hear it. It gives it more of a sporty feel vs the OEM luxury feel it had.

ECUProgram did a stage II tune and it is a different animal now it's crazy how fast it is for a 5,500lb unit. They stage II is 700hp and they offered a free upgrade to stage II+ which will be 730hp (94 octane only) he is just fine tuning the drivability on that map before he releases it. I want to get it on a dyno and see what it's putting to the wheels now!!

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-20-2014 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #24
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I got the catless OEM pipes on last week, they did trip the CEL. So I went and got a tune as well, it is louder now for sure and you can really hear the turbos whistle now. If you like quiet eisenmann and catless pipes are not for you. On the hiway I don't hear the exhaust but apply any amount of throttle and you hear it. It gives it more of a sporty feel vs the OEM luxury feel it had.

ECUProgram did a stage II tune and it is a different animal now it's crazy how fast it is for a 5,500lb unit. They stage II is 700hp and they offered a free upgrade to stage II+ which will be 730hp (94 octane only) he is just fine tuning the drivability on that map before he releases it. I want to get it on a dyno and see what it's putting to the wheels now!!
lots of guys are saying its hard to pull 740hp out of any tune + downpipes.
Dyno results would be killer to have
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Quote:
I got the catless OEM pipes on last week, they did trip the CEL. So I went and got a tune as well, it is louder now for sure and you can really hear the turbos whistle now. If you like quiet eisenmann and catless pipes are not for you. On the hiway I don't hear the exhaust but apply any amount of throttle and you hear it. It gives it more of a sporty feel vs the OEM luxury feel it had.

Do it, I'm going to dyno mine this Wednesday after my DPs go in at ECUProgram. I'll let you know what I'm making to the wheels after the runs. Mine will also be DP plus stage 2 tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skforzagroup View Post
lots of guys are saying its hard to pull 740hp out of any tune + downpipes.
Dyno results would be killer to have
Lot's of guys don't know who ECUProgram is either. Their tunes are the best out there and you can ask around even Velos for their opinion on ECUProgram's tunes. Miguel is a genius with programming and I'm confident he'll make the best possible tune for a stage 2. Also, if you're in Alberta, it would be a no brainer to have someone local that tunes and has a dyno to custom tune to your specific vehicle and can provide ongoing support.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #27
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac View Post
Lot's of guys don't know who ECUProgram is either. Their tunes are the best out there and you can ask around even Velos for their opinion on ECUProgram's tunes. Miguel is a genius with programming and I'm confident he'll make the best possible tune for a stage 2. Also, if you're in Alberta, it would be a no brainer to have someone local that tunes and has a dyno to custom tune to your specific vehicle and can provide ongoing support.
ya ..... that might be the maybe problem in edmonton.. i dont eeven know who owns a dyno here lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #28
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

Roy, while i know that ecuprogram is accomplished and has a decent sized clientele, but what makes you say they are the best? It's a big claim
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #29
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ya ..... that might be the maybe problem in edmonton.. i dont eeven know who owns a dyno here lol

Drive to Calgary, ECUProgaram can tune and dyno it...they are also doing a new hand held programer in the near future if not already for X5/6Ms. Miguel has tuned my Diesel, X5M and a friends Q7 all are very well done basically stock like drive ability with nice power gains.

As far as how they stack up to other tunes I have no idea but typically a custom tune out performs a "one size fits all tune" but I have nothing to base it off of in the X5M world...one way to find out Sonny

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-20-2014 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #30
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^ haha, shoot me a text, we can meet up sometime
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #31
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
^ haha, shoot me a text, we can meet up sometime
I meant to send you one today but got busy at work....I would like to see Velos vs ECUProgram, I might talk to them about a dyno soon to see how my gutted catless pipes stack up against some big brand name down pipes.

Roy do you know what time Wedensday it's going on the dyno? I might stop by and say Hi if they have time maybe dyno mine after yours and see how my pipes compare to good ones.
      01-21-2014, 02:19 AM   #32
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I meant to send you one today but got busy at work....I would like to see Velos vs ECUProgram, I might talk to them about a dyno soon to see how my gutted catless pipes stack up against some big brand name down pipes.

Roy do you know what time Wedensday it's going on the dyno? I might stop by and say Hi if they have time maybe dyno mine after yours and see how my pipes compare to good ones.
Oh i should clarify, i didn't get DPs, just a tune. still look forward to seeing the difference tho
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:47 AM   #33
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I'll have to talk to Miguel tomorrow and find out exactly when but I'm assuming close to end of day since they're starting the install of the DPs Wednesday morning. I'll message you tomorrow after I find out when. I'll be dropping the rig off tomorrow end of day so I'll know after that.

I'm going to lead off by assuming your gutted pipes and my AR resonated pipes will have little to no difference in terms of performance - since they're both basically straight pipes now.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #34
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Roy, while i know that ecuprogram is accomplished and has a decent sized clientele, but what makes you say they are the best? It's a big claim
You are correct, I cannot state they're the "best" but for my purposes and for them being local I consider them my "best" option for tunes. Extremely hard to beat a custom dyno tune with a candid tune but not to say it's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #35
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to talk to Miguel tomorrow and find out exactly when but I'm assuming close to end of day since they're starting the install of the DPs Wednesday morning. I'll message you tomorrow after I find out when. I'll be dropping the rig off tomorrow end of day so I'll know after that.

I'm going to lead off by assuming your gutted pipes and my AR resonated pipes will have little to no difference in terms of performance - since they're both basically straight pipes now.
hey with the resonated pipes, are you getting less to no fume smells?

mines the AA pipes so much fume smells its nuts
Mods: H&R Springs | ETG TUNE | Miestershaft exhaust GTC| SKF Carbon Fiber Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #36
Rob NY
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Not to get the gas smell you have to install downpipes with race cats.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #37
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are correct, I cannot state they're the "best" but for my purposes and for them being local I consider them my "best" option for tunes. Extremely hard to beat a custom dyno tune with a candid tune but not to say it's impossible.
Ok, that's understandable, locally we don't have anyone else
Good luck with your tune, hit me up if you want to meet up

Last edited by theaudir8fan; 01-22-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #38
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Roy, since you are getting resonated test pipes, it would be sweet to do a video for the community to show the difference between stock, resonated, and full catless
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #39
Toneaero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:

How bad are the fumes with catless DPs? The smell evident at stoplight even with the windows up?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #40
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:

Resonators won't help with the smell. You need high-flow cats.
      01-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #41
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Roy, since you are getting resonated test pipes, it would be sweet to do a video for the community to show the difference between stock, resonated, and full catless
I think it's too late to dyno stock since the DPs are being installed now. I will get a video of the ride being dyno'd with the DPs though.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #42
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just an FYI, but the resonated DPs are pretty much a catless setup. Upon observation, these pipes are identical to the catless ones but with little dimples on the inside of the top section of the DPs. Not sure what good that's really gonna do. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #43
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneaero View Post
How bad are the fumes with catless DPs? The smell evident at stoplight even with the windows up?
yup. i winter drive my truck. When i start it in the garage it smells pretty awful in there.
Mods: H&R Springs | ETG TUNE | Miestershaft exhaust GTC| SKF Carbon Fiber Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #44
skforzagroup
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think it's too late to dyno stock since the DPs are being installed now. I will get a video of the ride being dyno'd with the DPs though.
Hurry up!!!! excited to see the results of HP gains
Appreciate 0