XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70-X5M

Anyone having issues with exhaust smell inside the cabin thru heater vent?

I'm having exhaust smell issues for my 2010 X5M, I just had crank vent hose replaced recently thanks to thread here http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952067 I printed this out and showed it to dealer's SA.
But even after this fix (I just got the car back 2 days ago), I'm still smelling exhaust especially when the car is stopped and when I push gas, I smell exhaust coming thru heater vent, something else going on? other than crankcase vent leak?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Yeah, that's kinda strange. Do you have the odor even when the a/c is on recirculate? That should be drawing air from within the cabin so there should be no smell.

I have a AA+ tune with catless dps and never get odor from the vents. I only smell exhaust after I open door or window. I'm surprised you s/a wasn't more proactive to find the solution. Did you take a tech for a ride to let them smell it? If not, I would do that next.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
Crazy1323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I had this issue. When the injectors were replaced the issue went away
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep

I got the injectors replaced as well, still smells exhaust fume in cabin, and I don't smell it when it's set on as recirculate.
I'm going to take the car back and see what's going on... could be leaky exhaust header??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
I got the injectors replaced as well, still smells exhaust fume in cabin, and I don't smell it when it's set on as recirculate.
I'm going to take the car back and see what's going on... could be leaky exhaust header??
Well I know there is a gasket between the turbo and the downpipes, maybe that joint is leaking. But yeah, that's definitely not normal. Have the dealer take a look at it and diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain
Quote:
Well I know there is a gasket between the turbo and the downpipes, maybe that joint is leaking. But yeah, that's definitely not normal. Have the dealer take a look at it and diagnose.
When i took mine apart to go catless there was no gasket at the turbo/v-band clamp connection nor at the section 1 exhaust connection. I recently purchase the gasket for the exhaust connection after seeing carbon buildup down there when I had my car up on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
cbakking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
When i took mine apart to go catless there was no gasket at the turbo/v-band clamp connection nor at the section 1 exhaust connection. I recently purchase the gasket for the exhaust connection after seeing carbon buildup down there when I had my car up on a lift.
Thanks guys!!! It turns out exhaust is leaking from between down pipe and cat, leaky gasket.
I'm so glad that they found the source, it was driving me nutzzz.....
I basically printed out you guys' thread and ask them to check that area.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Anyone having issues with exhaust smell inside the cabin thru heater vent?
yes, shortly after taking delivery of the vehicle and about a thousand miles or so later an acrid odor would enter the cabin. i returned to the dealer and they replaced pcv, injectors and apparently a plastic cowl was melting. they then replaced the cabin filter. afterwards i did not have any issues with odors or unpleasant scents/fumes entering the cabin.
Appreciate 0