XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-11-2024, 09:24 AM   #23
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
And the evolution of the revolution continues! We are about to see some even more dynamic vehicles coming from BMW!

The capabilities, range, and dynamics of BEVs wouldn't me pushed until the likes of BMW, Porsche, Mercedes,...GM,...For and Dodge/Chrysler got into the market. This will also force even more accelerated growth of charging network(s), etc. I'm betting there will be charging sites in the not to far future like there are now gas stations or even more.

And for those pushing back,...you know you can own more than 1 vehicle,...as many already do. No bragging,...but I have 4 ICE vehicles,...an HD Road Glide,...Avalanche, F90, M340,...and 45e. And I enjoy each of them without any reservations!

Oh! Saved Round,...I almost forgot to add my Juiced Bike Rip Current S ebike! Yes, you guessed,...it really rips!
      01-11-2024, 09:26 AM   #24
Matenza
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp xDrive (g80)

I just don’t know if I want to live at all in the EV world. Nothing against EVs. I also have one and am very pleased, but it’s the beginning of the end. No feelings, everything just happens seamlessly. It’s not a big deal anymore to accelerate to 60 under 4s. It just happens, every day, no matter who drives it.
EVs are to Pistonheads as Techno music is to Beethoven. I’d favor keeping at least some ICE models.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 09:32 AM   #25
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I don't understand why and how people assume things like this. I mean surely you follow a certain type of media, but look at the plans of ALL car manufacturers. They all have timelines in place to go full EV. How the heck 90% will be hybrid when no-one is selling them?
you spend to much time on the internet and thus you have this defense mechanism of anything contrary to your views you say "i follow a certain type of media"

Ive heard many plans and promises from countries, corporations, and people. They are rarely every accomplished and sometimes accomplished by killing the host.

So BMW is only going to sell a majority of EV cars in 2027. Where they gunna plug them in? How are people gunna buy them, people can barely afford cars as is. What about other countries than posh suburbia? What about cities? BMW is a major automobile manufacturer. Tesla is boutique compared to BMW.

at any rate, I support EV and honestly don't care if BMW choses to go fully EV. I'll just buy another car.

but I will admit the article says ONLY full EV vechicles in 2027 so I guess what I said according to BMW is not correct. But we will see.

you seem to have an axe to grind calling everyone brainwashed by political outlets and propaganda. But to think unless massive infrastructure is up rooted and changed within the next 10 years that a state can ban the sale of new ICE is a pipedream at best.

not everyone who thinks differently than you is "brainwashed" by the media. I think we should probably go majority EV, but these timelines are just snake oil until the government puts their money where their mouth is and start having massive infrastructure changes.

are we also going to ignore how the majority of our electricity is generated?
Appreciate 4
M2Blu32.00
chrisk03153.00
ham34085.50
      01-11-2024, 09:51 AM   #26
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
you spend to much time on the internet and thus you have this defense mechanism of anything contrary to your views you say "i follow a certain type of media"

Ive heard many plans and promises from countries, corporations, and people. They are rarely every accomplished and sometimes accomplished by killing the host.

So BMW is only going to sell a majority of EV cars in 2027. Where they gunna plug them in? How are people gunna buy them, people can barely afford cars as is. What about other countries than posh suburbia? What about cities? BMW is a major automobile manufacturer. Tesla is boutique compared to BMW.

at any rate, I support EV and honestly don't care if BMW choses to go fully EV. I'll just buy another car.

but I will admit the article says ONLY full EV vechicles in 2027 so I guess what I said according to BMW is not correct. But we will see.

you seem to have an axe to grind calling everyone brainwashed by political outlets and propaganda. But to think unless massive infrastructure is up rooted and changed within the next 10 years that a state can ban the sale of new ICE is a pipedream at best.

not everyone who thinks differently than you is "brainwashed" by the media. I think we should probably go majority EV, but these timelines are just snake oil until the government puts their money where their mouth is and start having massive infrastructure changes.

With all due respect, nothing you said has any substance.

Even considering the current use of coal to power EVs and the polution caused by manufacturing EVs, EVs are far less polutant than ICE vehicles. Don’t just think tailpipe emissions, think the incredible polution caused by the processes needed to get the petroleum to the gas station.

In about 10 years, ICE vehicles will have literally zero technical advantages over EVs. Think about that. 20 years into their lifecycle, EVs will have surpassed ICE vehicles in everyway, most importantly in their carbon footprint (which EVs have already done).

Range will continue to increase, charging speed will continue to increase, weight will decrease etc. Obviously EVs likely won’t have the same visceral feel as ICE vehicles but who cares? ICE vehicles don’t have nearly the visceral feel of a horse and buggy, but you don’t hear anyone whining incessantly about that.
Appreciate 5
Deho251.50
msej449513.50
Canuck335151.00
WolfGTI716.00
carjoy322.50
      01-11-2024, 09:55 AM   #27
tambat
Do it for a living.
Rep
Drives: F80 MG M3 m/t

Quote:

Tesla has sold more cars than BMW (by a pretty wide margin) for 2 years now. How does that make them boutique in comparison? The Model Y was the most popular car in the world last year.

Both manufacturer's sold more cars than ever last year (debunking your statement than "people can barely afford new cars")
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:03 AM   #28
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

I’m gonna park my manual m2 in my living room!
Appreciate 4
      01-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #29
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
With all due respect, nothing you said has any substance.

Even considering the current use of coal to power EVs and the polution caused by manufacturing EVs, EVs are far less polutant than ICE vehicles. Don’t just think tailpipe emissions, think the incredible polution caused by the processes needed to get the petroleum to the gas station.

In about 10 years, ICE vehicles will have literally zero technical advantages over EVs. Think about that. 20 years into their lifecycle, EVs will have surpassed ICE vehicles in everyway, most importantly in their carbon footprint (which EVs have already done).

Range will continue to increase, charging speed will continue to increase, weight will decrease etc. Obviously EVs likely won’t have the same visceral feel as ICE vehicles but who cares? ICE vehicles don’t have nearly the visceral feel of a horse and buggy, but you don’t hear anyone whining incessantly about that.
I mean all due respect what you said doesn't have much substance either. Everything you said above is again a pipe dream, but you could very well be correct. pretty condescending to use phrases like "whining incessantly"

I personally love EVs and whipping them around the city and daily driving. But i also love the sound of a v12 and v10.

Where are people going to plug these in? Where are the plans for infrastructure?
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #30
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So BMW is only going to sell a majority of EV cars in 2027. Where they gunna plug them in? How are people gunna buy them, people can barely afford cars as is.
Is this a problem for BMW customers? From a 2019 study, average BMW customer household income of $125K and 90% own their home. Surely the income has grown and means a majority of their customers can charge a car at home.

Last edited by koopa; 01-11-2024 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      01-11-2024, 10:10 AM   #31
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

2040 BMW M3 EV, 0-60 in minus 20 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 10:10 AM   #32
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:

Where are people going to plug these in? Where are the plans for infrastructure?
Another case of people getting their news from political commentators instead of actual sources.
As if nobody ever thought of this huh?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/cleanener...act-guidebook/
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...EVI)%20program.

Quote:
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law invests $7.5 billion in EV charging, $5 billion of which is for building a “backbone” of high-speed chargers spaced no less than every 50 miles along America’s major roads, freeways, and interstates through the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program. The remaining $2.5 billion is for competitive grants to states and localities to fill gaps along charging corridors and to provide convenient, accessible charging where people live, work, and shop through the Charging and Fueling Infrastructure (CFI) program. The President also secured a tax credit in the Inflation Reduction Act to make it more affordable for individuals and businesses to install chargers for personal, employee, commercial, or customer use.

Implementation is already underway. All 50 states plus Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia have developed detailed plans for building the necessary infrastructure in their jurisdictions, and many states have begun issuing proposals or awarded contracts for installing NEVI-funded chargers. Ohio has now announced the opening of the first charging station funded through the NEVI program, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and Maine have broken ground on new stations, and additional activity is expected in several other states in the coming weeks.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 01-11-2024 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 4
      01-11-2024, 10:15 AM   #33
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I mean all due respect what you said doesn't have much substance either. Everything you said above is again a pipe dream, but you could very well be correct. pretty condescending to use phrases like "whining incessantly"

I personally love EVs and whipping them around the city and daily driving. But i also love the sound of a v12 and v10.

Pipe dream? Infrastructure? The fast charging infrastructure is already solved for - Tesla opens up to nearly every maufacturer in 2024/25, BMW/Stelantis/Kia etc. are creating a charging network with 30,000 plus stalls starting in 2024, GM is partnering with EVGo and Pilot/Flying J to create a network with 20,000+ stalls - some of which are already up and running.

In terms of the electrical infrastructure, why are you acting like this isn’t something that can be solved for? You think there will be 100,000,000 EVs on the road all at once? That’s not how things work. The electrical infra will continue to be redeveloped as we shift our energetic priorities, but clearly said infrastructure is in need of an overhaul. Part of that overhaul will include the continued introduction of renewable energy sources.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2024, 10:17 AM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I really don't mind EVs, just some ICE should be allowed to continue to live on. Cars aren't the only greenhouse gas producer, there's so many other sources and countries who make the contributions from cars look like a drop in the bucket.

There's a reason why so many people still choose to buy M2s, M3s, etc. over Tesla Model 3 Performance or BMW's very own i4 M50. Let hobbyists like us live in peace.
Appreciate 2
M2Blu32.00
      01-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #35
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambat View Post
Tesla has sold more cars than BMW (by a pretty wide margin) for 2 years now. How does that make them boutique in comparison? The Model Y was the most popular car in the world last year.

Both manufacturer's sold more cars than ever last year (debunking your statement than "people can barely afford new cars")
okay fair enough. bmw sold 2.2 mil cars tesla 1.8 million. so not boutique. but what you said is not correct either.

apparantly tesla doesn't release its sales figues so how do we know its the most popular? Ford sold 750k f series last year.

and you are correct about the car sales in 2023. Lets see how it pans out 2024
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:22 AM   #36
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Pipe dream? Infrastructure? The fast charging infrastructure is already solved for - Tesla opens up to nearly every maufacturer in 2024/25, BMW/Stelantis/Kia etc. are creating a charging network with 30,000 plus stalls starting in 2024, GM is partnering with EVGo and Pilot/Flying J to create a network with 20,000+ stalls - some of which are already up and running.

In terms of the electrical infrastructure, why are you acting like this isn’t something that can be solved for? You think there will be 100,000,000 EVs on the road all at once? That’s not how things work. The electrical infra will continue to be redeveloped as we shift our energetic priorities, but clearly said infrastructure is in need of an overhaul. Part of that overhaul will include the continued introduction of renewable energy sources.
I mean its not solved for when only 1% of the cars on the road are EV. but again we shall see how things play out. Im not disagreeing with you that in the LONG term future ICE will probably be the 1-5%
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:29 AM   #37
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
You're commenting under the news that it's already happening, and decided. BMW's factory is being re-built so that they will only build EVs. Same with VW, Mercedes Benz, and all others. All the EU countries and U.S. put in place deadlines for ICE sales. And especially in Northern Europe, EV sales are already approaching 50% of new car sales.
And you still call it a fantasy. So you believe, they will all need to go back to build ICE engines huh? I wonder who's in the fantasyland

Destructive political propaganda aimed at uneducated and/or intellectually deficient and/or people who are incapable of diversifying their news sources - is the biggest problems of our time and the biggest obstacle towards progress.
Wow. That’s a lot of condescending assumptions you made from one post that didn’t say a single thing about any of the things you attributed to it. So who is uneducated and intellectually deficient here?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-11-2024, 10:42 AM   #38
Krids1229
Rep
Drives: N/A

Two things:

Everyone is judging this on how the vehicle is fueled. I think we've argued to death I6 vs I4, turbo or not, VANOS, etc etc etc.
I think what will be keeping the BMW engineers up at night is, simply, "Is this a good car? Is this a great car? Is this a BMW?"

Way too soon to tell.

Secondly, it seems like one side of the political spectrum is over the top with capitalism, individualism, and competition. Guess what? This is a great opportunity for everyone. Updated Infrastructure, rebuilding our electrical grids, new careers - this can all happen.

And don't think for a moment that this won't be endorsed by the US government. Check the news and sales out of China. We (in the USA) are way behind them in BEV and batteries - as soon as politicians see the writing on the wall, they will throw their weight behind it, culture wars or not.

And all I hear is people complaining and it sounds like another round of "Get off my lawn". Pipe down gramps, change is coming.
Appreciate 3
      01-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #39
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Lot of russled jimmie's up in here. Don't like the way they are going, don't buy them. I don't like the new BMW's, so I bought something else. It's that easy.

or just be mad I guess. idk.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 11:12 AM   #40
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Also, mining cobalt and lithium is bad for environment, but not nearly as bad as hundreds of millions of cars constantly putting exhaust gas in the air. .
Literally this. I don't understand how people cannot rationalise this concept and realise over the lifecycle of the car, it's still a net positive for the environment VS a ICE car.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 11:16 AM   #41
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

not a fan... but seems to be the way things are going so guess we have to go with it eventually

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:24 AM   #42
JJacksonIII
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

The best part about all the theatrics in thes posts is that the article said they are moving ICE production to other plants. BFD. Yes, we know that the automotive world is sliding away from ICE vehicles, but this article doesn't say, BMW won't produce ICE vehicles in 2027. Just that they are moving that production to other plants.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 11:33 AM   #43
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Literally this. I don't understand how people cannot rationalise this concept and realise over the lifecycle of the car, it's still a net positive for the environment VS a ICE car.
Just wait until they figure out the CH4 intensity of upstream O&G production
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:41 AM   #44
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
BMW remains committed to ICE they are just switching production to Austria, the UK & China.

BMW to continue investing in ICE into the next decade
16th March 2023, 15:37 by Rahul Nagaraj
BMW to continue investing in ICE into the next decade

BMW will be introducing new generations of its X5, X6 and X7 models on a flexible platform, which is capable of supporting both ICE and EV powertrains.
While most automakers have announced a deadline for their combustion engines, BMW is said to be an exception. According to reports, the German luxury carmaker has steered clear of any such announcements and instead has gone on to state that it will continue offering IC engine-powered models well into the future.

Reports state that BMW will continue investing in its current crop of internal combustion engines well into the new decade. While BMW is aiming to increase its EV numbers, it wants 50% of its total sales to come from ICE cars in 2030.

The carmaker currently has the B48 4-cylinder, B58 in-line 6-cylinder and the S68 V8. Of these, the S68 V8 was introduced just last year, replacing the N63 V8 unit; while the B58 unit also got an update via a 48V mild hybrid system. However, it's not just petrol engines, the carmaker will be updating & selling its diesel engines as well.

One of the main reasons for BMW's ICE push is the huge popularity and profitability of its combustion engine-powered SUVs in markets like the USA and China. BMW will be introducing new generations of its X5, X6 and X7 models on a flexible platform, which is capable of supporting both ICE and EV powertrains. The engines though will no longer be built in Munich, Germany, which will shift to manufacturing BMW's EV powertrain. The production of BMW's petrol and diesel engines will shift to Austria, the UK & China.

BMW seems confident that its electric vehicles and combustion cars can co-exist for a longer period. The company is also heavily investing in EVs, with a "Neue Klasse" platform for EVs scheduled to debut in 2026.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 2