XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Got a tour of Spartanburg Plant today!

I must say that anyone who has the opportunity to go to Spartansburg and take a tour of the plant should definitely do it. It was the best $5 I ever spent and I am still in awe over how an X6 goes through the assembly line. Absolutely amazing the 380 different robots they have that do everything from welding, installing motors, suspensions to much much more. I was also shocked how many different steps require hand assembly including almost everything inside the car. All of the different conveyor belts that move the different parts and vehicles throughout the plant are also amazing.

One thing I found interesting that the tour guide mentioned is that every single X6 off the production line gets tested on the track they have at the plant. I would have thought that they would only test a few but he said since it is a new model that every one is tested as opposed to the X5 and Z4 in which only select models are tested.

They also must be ramping up production for the 50i because of the 70+ X6s I saw throughout the assembly I would say that 5 or 6 to 1 were 50i models. Didn't see any 35d models as they were all 35i and 50i. I did find out from a production mgr that my X6 will start production next Thursday
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I must say that anyone who has the opportunity to go to Spartansburg and take a tour of the plant should definitely do it. It was the best $5 I ever spent and I am still in awe over how an X6 goes through the assembly line. Absolutely amazing the 380 different robots they have that do everything from welding, installing motors, suspensions to much much more. I was also shocked how many different steps require hand assembly including almost everything inside the car. All of the different conveyor belts that move the different parts and vehicles throughout the plant are also amazing.

One thing I found interesting that the tour guide mentioned is that every single X6 off the production line gets tested on the track they have at the plant. I would have thought that they would only test a few but he said since it is a new model that every one is tested as opposed to the X5 and Z4 in which only select models are tested.

They also must be ramping up production for the 50i because of the 70+ X6s I saw throughout the assembly I would say that 5 or 6 to 1 were 50i models. Didn't see any 35d models as they were all 35i and 50i. I did find out from a production mgr that my X6 will start production next Thursday
The Plant Tour is pretty impressive.Amazing how it all comes together to produce a world class auto.See any "M" models laying around ????!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      07-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
The Plant Tour is pretty impressive.Amazing how it all comes together to produce a world class auto.See any "M" models laying around ????!!!! Thanks! PalBay
No "M" model X6s but did see two M coupes on production line and there were 3 M3 coupes with DCT parked in front of the Zentrum Museum entrance. I did see the VR X6 50i with leather dash and Korean rear view language parked in the visitor lot out front
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
BMWMC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 528i Sedan and X5 4.8i SAV

Glad you enjoyed the plant tour!!!
Personal--> '09 Nissan Maxima 3.5SV - Winter Frost / Charcoal
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

WOW,

I CAN NOT WAIT. GOD WILLING WE WILL SCHEDULE OUR ACCEPTANCE of our 50i AT THE PLANT IN late OCT....
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Burgh
XDrive50i ordered May 23rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black X6 50i

Is there a phone number that I can call at BMW to find out exactly what my production date is...? I have a production number.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I toured the Munich plant where they assemble 3-series cars back in 1999 and had many of the same reactions: huge numbers of robots, hand assembly of much of the interior, etc. One thing that really struck me there -- and I don't know if it is the same at Spartanburg -- was the paint shop. The paint used was (is?) powder, not liquid, and different color cars were being painted one after another. The only two colors that had to be batched were black and white. Interestingly, given the date I was there, parked on an interior forecourt was an X5 with fat tires on 20-inch wheels, clearly a pre-production 4.6is.

I agree that anybody given a chance to tour a BMW plant should do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

If I ever get back that way will stop and take the tour.

shenard,
hopefully you had them bump all the orders from the xbimmer folks here to front of the line ..

I know from the web site that mine is "scheduled for production",
since I'm a 2nd gen computer geek I expect to be able to track it down to "now putting on left front door.." but I will settle for BMW putting the technology in their cars.

Thanks for the report, no picts ?
      07-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh View Post
Is there a phone number that I can call at BMW to find out exactly what my production date is...? I have a production number.
Your best bet is to call your Client Advisor and have him look on BMW's system as that is the most accurate info that you will be able to get and even that info is a little off because my X6 is still showing week 32 for production which is actually a week later than when it will actually start. I was just happened to be in the right place at the right time because when I was waiting for my tour one of the plant managers walked by and I asked him if they could give me a better indication of when my X6 will be made and he went into an office and made a quick phone call and told me it goes on the assembly line a week from this Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
If I ever get back that way will stop and take the tour.

shenard,
hopefully you had them bump all the orders from the xbimmer folks here to front of the line ..

I know from the web site that mine is "scheduled for production",
since I'm a 2nd gen computer geek I expect to be able to track it down to "now putting on left front door.." but I will settle for BMW putting the technology in their cars.

Thanks for the report, no picts ?
If you call your dealer they should be able to give you a little more detailed info as to what week production you are slotted for. The online version is way behind and your X6 will probably be done before the system catches up with it.

They are very strict about cameras and do not let you take them inside the plant so no pics. I went by the performance track twice hoping to catch a few X6s in action to try and one-up Palbay but no luck there
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I forgot to mention that while I on the plant tour that I saw every color in the X6 and I have to say that while I originally did not like Deep Sea Blue from the pictures on this forum it looks a lot better in person and the one I saw was fresh off the assembly line and I did a double take. I still think the Vermilion Red pops the most and then the next best colors in my opinion would be Alpine White, Black Obsidian, Deep Sea Blue, Mineral Silver, Space Gray, Titanium Silver. Tasman Green looks the worst in my opinion, but everyones tastes are different.
Appreciate 0