XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-31-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
AFAIK, these are the rules from Jan 1, 2014 onwards. BMW changed the rules because, apparently the non-BMW dealers were making a killing selling cars with "CPO" coverage (CPO cars traded in), and this was impacting BMW CPO sales.
I agree with this. This goes against with what OP is experiencing, where his car was supposedly CPO'd in 2013, then sold to a non-BMW dealer. BMW is now saying he doesn't have CPO.

If I were him I would check the VIN with a different dealer just to make sure.

Your theory of pulling CPO before auction to another non-bmw dealer is plausible. I know at any time when a car is CPO'd and sitting on the BMW lot, the dealer can pull the CPO at any time, even if they did all the inspections and replaced the tires to get the car up to CPO quality. They usually do this if a customer wants to buy the car but doesn't want to pay for the CPO warranty.

If this is the case, sucks for the OP, he was mislead, and hopefully it didn't impact his purchase price/decision. I know if it was me, I would be pissed, but that's b/c I was looking for a CPO car.
      07-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I agree with this. This goes against with what OP is experiencing, where his car was supposedly CPO'd in 2013, then sold to a non-BMW dealer. BMW is now saying he doesn't have CPO.

If I were him I would check the VIN with a different dealer just to make sure.

Your theory of pulling CPO before auction to another non-bmw dealer is plausible. I know at any time when a car is CPO'd and sitting on the BMW lot, the dealer can pull the CPO at any time, even if they did all the inspections and replaced the tires to get the car up to CPO quality. They usually do this if a customer wants to buy the car but doesn't want to pay for the CPO warranty.

If this is the case, sucks for the OP, he was mislead, and hopefully it didn't impact his purchase price/decision. I know if it was me, I would be pissed, but that's b/c I was looking for a CPO car.
The non-BMW dealer didn't say it was CPO or no. I just ran the autocheck report and it is showing that BMW has it list it as CPO in 2013. But when I called BMWNA that it suppose to be the headquarter right. They didn't find the CPO.
Does any one has another free link for autocheck? 5UXZV8C58BL417770
      07-31-2015, 01:11 PM   #25
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
The non-BMW dealer didn't say it was CPO or no. I just ran the autocheck report and it is showing that BMW has it list it as CPO in 2013. But when I called BMWNA that it suppose to be the headquarter right. They didn't find the CPO.
Does any one has another free link for autocheck? 5UXZV8C58BL417770
You can ask the dealer where you bought the car from for an autocheck and carfax report. I personally find carfax to contain more details than autocheck. Does autocheck indicate if the car was sold at auction after being listed as CPO'ed in 2013?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You can ask the dealer where you bought the car from for an autocheck and carfax report. I personally find carfax to contain more details than autocheck. Does autocheck indicate if the car was sold at auction after being listed as CPO'ed in 2013?
This is what it shows on Carfax report

07-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #27
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
This is what it shows on Carfax report

The car was sold on 6/10/13 at an auction. I'm pretty certain the CPO didn't carry over.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The car was sold on 6/10/13 at an auction. I'm pretty certain the CPO didn't carry over.
yeah, I agree, in this case, the dealer almost certainly would have pulled the CPO tag

you nailed it right on the head here. The best way to double check this is the case is to call the BMW dealership that originally tagged the CPO to see if there's a record of it being recinded when they threw it back into the auction pool.
      07-31-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
yeah, I agree, in this case, the dealer almost certainly would have pulled the CPO tag

you nailed it right on the head here. The best way to double check this is the case is to call the BMW dealership that originally tagged the CPO to see if there's a record of it being recinded when they threw it back into the auction pool.
That's fine, I just going to purchase one. Thanks all for the help.
      07-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

This is so confusing. I was under the impression that if a car was CPOd before January of 2014, that the "old" rules would still apply. Only car CPOd on or after January 1st, 2014 would be CPO if it's purchased from a BMW dealership.

Right?

In other words, if I buy a 2011 X5 that was CPOd in 2013 but I buy it in 2015 from a Dodge dealership, it would still be CPO, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #31
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
This is so confusing. I was under the impression that if a car was CPOd before January of 2014, that the "old" rules would still apply. Only car CPOd on or after January 1st, 2014 would be CPO if it's purchased from a BMW dealership.

Right?

In other words, if I buy a 2011 X5 that was CPOd in 2013 but I buy it in 2015 from a Dodge dealership, it would still be CPO, right?
I think this still applies. OP had a weird situation where the car was tagged with a CPO, never sold to a customer and the dealer then yanked the CPO and sold it at auction. The latter part wasn't registered on carfox.
      07-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #32
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

Right?

The car isn't considered "CPO"'ed until it is sold to a customer -- until then, it is only CPO-eligible (meaning, dealer does inspections and makes sure the car meets CPO standards). The CPO loop never closed here because it was never sold to a customer. So, this car never carried a CPO to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #33
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
The car isn't considered "CPO"'ed until it is sold to a customer -- until then, it is only CPO-eligible (meaning, dealer does inspections and makes sure the car meets CPO standards). The CPO loop never closed here because it was never sold to a customer. So, this car never carried a CPO to begin with.
Exactly correct!

CPO is a product that the dealer needs to buy from BMWNA. They only do that if they know that the car will retail to a customer with the appropriate mark-up. Sending it to auction has no mark up and CPO is not necessary. So they yank it.