XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
sizelove
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

My 2009 x6 CIC retrofit - from Patryk

I finally had some time to complete a write up regarding the CIC retrofit I did recently in my 2009 x6. When I bought the car the only thing it did not have was the new iDrive setup and I really wanted it. Running across the many posts regarding this change it made me happy to know this could be done. It took me a few months to decide to do it and I am glad I did. The one thing that I thought was abundantly clear was the sensible move to purchase everything from Patryk. Search for his name and you will find many positive posts regarding his work and service - after working with and talking with him I can honestly say all those posts are totally accurate. Patryk is a great guy to work with. I had a few questions along the way and he was very, very quick to respond to me and talk me through everything. We simply used Skype to talk and/or text. It worked flawlessly.

For my retrofit I went all in. I purchased the following:
- CIC (updated to the latest software version, ready for the Combox and the ConnectedDrive)
- CID (screen)
- USB port
- USB cable
- Video cable
- Screen connector
- iDrive controller + trim
- CIC trim
- Navigation and Voice Control activation (aftermarket module)
- full coding of the CIC
- Backup camera and PDC fix module
- 2011 map
- DVD-in-motion (aftermarket module)
Additional options:
- Combox Media kit - (Office menu, Bluetooth audio, Album art cover, Internet, etc.)
- Option 6NR ConnectedDrive
- Coding to fold mirrors from key fob
- Coding to roll up windows from key fob
- Coding to close trunk from key fob
- Coding to show digital speed in cluster

The entire swap out took me a full day. I went slow taking notes and pictures along the way. I didn't hesitate to contact Patryk with any questions I had. He basically walks you through all the gear and what to do before you start so you have a great understanding of what you will be doing.

To me the interesting thing is that you really do not alter much of the existing wiring. You will have to adjust the wires for the screen plug, a couple wires in the back of the CIC connector and add in a couple wires from the arm rest iPod connector to the CIC plug. Then in the back of the car move a few wires for the combox. Overall a very easy job, just take some time to make sure you have the proper wiring - which has to be hard to confuse unless you completely ignore Patryk!!

Below are some pictures of my process and when it was all done. If you are thinking of doing this swap out, you owe it to yourself to talk to Patryk. I admit being nervous spending a chunk of money, wiring it to a guy in Poland I didn't know, etc. But, I couldn't have asked for a smoother process looking back!

Thanks for the gear and all your hard work on these kits Patryk!!

** I realize the dates in the pictures seem out of order. I originally installed all back in August and just removed and replaced with the original gear this past weekend (quick decision but I am trading in the x6 and couldn't see letting the new stuff go with it for free).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Harry335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I noticed google in one of the pics. How does that work?

2011 335i,HID Fogs,LED Interior,Tinted Windows
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Looks great!

Thank you Scott!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I really like the set up you have. DVD in motion, Ipod Album art display, and it would seem as though you can do Google Search from your idrive. I too own a 2009 X6 and was wondering if i would be able to do the same upgrades as you did...?

Please let me know if it is possible, and if so, how much $$$...? Any information you can provide would be highly appreciated...
      09-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
sizelove
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryX5 View Post
I noticed google in one of the pics. How does that work?
It works via tethering to your phone - pretty slick actually.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
sizelove
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I really like the set up you have. DVD in motion, Ipod Album art display, and it would seem as though you can do Google Search from your idrive. I too own a 2009 X6 and was wondering if i would be able to do the same upgrades as you did...?

Please let me know if it is possible, and if so, how much $$$...? Any information you can provide would be highly appreciated...
PM the guy in the post just above yours, Patryk. He is the one I bought everything from. He helped me to do the install and provided full support. He will be able to answer all your questions on possibility and pricing. I was very happy with the setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

very nice write up. The only problem I have is Katy Perry, yuck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
sizelove
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
very nice write up. The only problem I have is Katy Perry, yuck!!
At least I did have Two and a Half men up there too Love that show
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Patryk will only work with you if you purchase the parts from him
      09-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizelove View Post
PM the guy in the post just above yours, Patryk. He is the one I bought everything from. He helped me to do the install and provided full support. He will be able to answer all your questions on possibility and pricing. I was very happy with the setup.
I will contact him to see what options are available to me. Please answer one more question for me my friend... will this void the warranty if i get all of that work done to my car..?
      09-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Patryk will only work with you if you purchase the parts from him
Does that mean that if someone was to do a little shopping/price comparison, that someone would feel like they are being ripped off...?
      09-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Does that mean that if someone was to do a little shopping/price comparison, that someone would feel like they are being ripped off...?
I was planning on picking up parts from Ebay UK etc, you can assemble the required parts for a lot cheaper, but on contacting Patryk, he won't work with you if you do that.

Of course, that was before there was an alternative through bmw retrofit store, so who knows now. Contact them directly and see, and let us know. I've abandoned the idea of spending 3 grand on a retrofit when I am most likely going to trade in my '09 when the new X5 comes out. That would be money I would never recover.
      09-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
I was planning on picking up parts from Ebay UK etc, you can assemble the required parts for a lot cheaper, but on contacting Patryk, he won't work with you if you do that.

Of course, that was before there was an alternative through bmw retrofit store, so who knows now. Contact them directly and see, and let us know. I've abandoned the idea of spending 3 grand on a retrofit when I am most likely going to trade in my '09 when the new X5 comes out. That would be money I would never recover.
Wise words. That is the problem i'm having with my own thought process at the moment, lol. As much as I want to do the upgrade, as far as cost effectiveness, I am thinking of just waiting to upgrade when and if I like the X6 after it gets a full facelift!
      09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
sizelove
Private
Rep

Certainly the price for this change is something you have to justify to yourself. Not everyone will want to do it, some will. Some will judge you and say you are nuts for such a thing. Some will think it is cool as heck and want it too. The main thing I didn't like about my x6 when buying was the iDrive, I wanted the newer setup, but didn't want a "new" car. I did the change because I could, I only had to convince myself, and I enjoyed the process.

Will it void your warranty? I mean seriously, when investigated, what doesn't? I truly don't know the answer and won't say yes or no...however, what I will say is that if you needed to convert back to the old setup to be safe and avoid a possible risk, it can be done quickly and easily. You don't need any programming or anything to make it happen.

As for Patryk not working with you if you buy your parts elsewhere...I personally don't blame him for this. I have talked to a few people who have complained about other vendors offering a similar setup, and even one where they bought gear online but were screwed out of it...worst case examples I know. But, what you get from Patryk is support and comfort that what he sells you will work, it is correct for your ride, etc. This allows you, and him, the luxury of not wasting a lot of time troubleshooting a possible issue only to find a defective part sold by a "trusted person" from ebay or several sites.

It is expensive and takes time to implement. It isn't for everyone. And no one is saying "hey, you must do this or your car sucks"...it is just a preference that one can do if they choose. As one person said, items are available all over the place...but if you are nervous to do this setup...do you think buying from different places to save a buck or two are going to make you feel better? I know my answer.

All that is just my 2 cents...heck, after all, what do I know? I did all this and am now selling the car
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

I don't have direct experience with Patryk, but as someone who follows these boards a lot, I have seen Patryk on here quite a bit, with a lot of positive feedback for him. He's carved out a business for himself and that's cool - he deserves to make a $ or 2 for his know-how.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate your positive and these not so positive words about myself
Actually BimmerTech is not just me but also my associate MEN, but anyway we really try to stay away from situations when somebody wants us to work on parts bought elsewhere.
The reason is simple. The parts that everyone buys to retrofit the CIC are used.
When we sell the whole kit we test everything before shipping and we are responsible for the whole process of retrofitting the CIC in the car until everything works as expected. If there is any problem when parts arrive to the customer or if during the initial coding something does not work we simply replace parts which are broken.

Imagine a situation when somebody wants us to work on his car and the parts were bought elsewhere. We do the coding and the CIC starts restarting over and over again. It turns out the CIC is defective, but how to explain the owner that this is not the coding problem and that it's not our fault. Then how the owner can explain this to somebody he bought the parts from?
This is a real life situation we had with our own parts, but this is something we do not want to happen when parts do not come from us.

On the other hand you can find examples of people who were in a pretty bad situation and we helped them:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...s-learned.html

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...3#post10318293

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588576

I do not expect that everyone will like me or BimmerTech, but at least try to understand us a bit.

The conclusion is that we can help people who want to buy parts on ebay or anywhere else as long as they take full responsibility for this retrofit.

If you want to have a hassle free experience get the full kit from us and we will make sure you will be very satisfied!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I give Patryk and bimmertech a big thumbs up :-) Just completed a successful CIC retrofit, by purchasing a full kit from them. Went extremely smoothly, and a totally awesome experience. Highly recommended.

The last thing I wanted to do was purchase a bunch of random parts off ebay, in the hope they might work. I wanted to install something, I knew was going to work and had being previously tested in a integrated way. If that meant paying a bit extra, it was worth it to me at least.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589250
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I give Patryk and bimmertech a big thumbs up :-) Just completed a successful CIC retrofit, by purchasing a full kit from them. Went extremely smoothly, and a totally awesome experience. Highly recommended.

The last thing I wanted to do was purchase a bunch of random parts off ebay, in the hope they might work. I wanted to install something, I knew was going to work and had being previously tested in a integrated way. If that meant paying a bit extra, it was worth it to me at least.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589250
Now bot of you guys have made me jealous...! I really like the set up you both have going on. I would like to do the upgrade but to be honest, I would be nervous to do my own work on my BMW. It is an expensive car, and doing something that may void the warranty might bite me in the ass later... lol

When I had my Honda, I did all my own mechanical and cusomizing myself. Then when I got my Acura, I still did alot of my own work to it, but did extensive research before I picked up any tools. Now with my X6, I bring it to the dealer for everything! Not only because it is all at no extra cost to me, but I am not willing to void the warranty for something I can wait two - trhee more years to play with once the X6 goes through a face lift.

Thank you for all the info, but I will wait for the new X6 before I do anymore upgrades to my car... unless of course, the price is right
      03-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #19
stephane1977
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: bmw E90 320d 2005

Hi all,
i am Stephane, 38 years old, from Belgium

i have just done a retrofit cic in X6 E71 and i have a problem with pdc image which doesn't work anymore...
i read on forum that it's a common problem when you do retrofit on X6 and X5
some guys tell to change Jbe box and replace by Lci and remove pdc modul in trunk
after that connect wires between these 2 moduls but i don't know how to do that???
others tell just to change the emulator and put one which activate navi and pdc image

i hope that you can help me and by chance send me a link with photos or others to explain the procedure?

thank you in advance for your help
Stephane
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #20
Robbie1977
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x6 5.0

Garage List
2010 X6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane1977 View Post
Hi all,
i am Stephane, 38 years old, from Belgium

i have just done a retrofit cic in X6 E71 and i have a problem with pdc image which doesn't work anymore...
i read on forum that it's a common problem when you do retrofit on X6 and X5
some guys tell to change Jbe box and replace by Lci and remove pdc modul in trunk
after that connect wires between these 2 moduls but i don't know how to do that???
others tell just to change the emulator and put one which activate navi and pdc image

i hope that you can help me and by chance send me a link with photos or others to explain the procedure?

thank you in advance for your help
Stephane
I too have the same problem after doing my retrofit, I have the PDC image and sound but no reverse camera. Did you figure it out? help would be appreciated .. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0