XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
phan
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, M5 SC'd, M6GC

DME Repair - Ford Myers FL?

DME Repair
19104 Dogwood Rd.
Fort Myers FL 33967

A couple months back, I had an issue with my rad fan no longer working; it ended up being a DDE/DME fault, which would have to be repaired. My indy found a couple places that specialize in these types of things, so I sent out a few emails askikng if they'd be able to fix my issue. A guy from eBay responded to my messages rather quickly and had good enough feedback that I ended up deciding to go with him - huge mistake.

After messaging back and forth, he said he'd definitely be able to fix my issue, provided his address for me to ship it off to, and that'd be that. The auction itself said the turn around time was 3-5 business days, and was priced at $500 + $20 shipping - no problem there. As soon as I shipped it to him via Fedex, I provided the tracking number and told him he'd have it in a couple of days. He said no problem and that was that.

As of last Friday, it's been a month since I sent the DDE to him without me having heard back from him ONCE. I didn't send my first follow-up message to him until about a week AFTER he received it (which I had to track myself to ensure it arrived). All I'd asked in that first message was that he update me with the progress and at least keep the lines of communication open, even if he hadn't had the chance to start working on my DDE yet. After not getting response to that message, I sent another follow-up a few days later asking for the same info/update - still nothing.

The following week, I asked my indy to message the guy to see if he'd respond and sure enough, he responded to my indy in a matter of minutes (my indy sent a message to him pretending to want more info about his services or something instead of coming right out and asking about my DDE in case the guy ignored him that way). When they guy did reply to my indy, my indy asked what was going on and why he wasn't responding to my messages. Apparently, he said my asking for an update was me being terribly impatient, and that he had something like 20 DDEs to fix before getting to mine. Regardless, he simply ignored my messages asking for a simple update and told my indy that I was being impatient...wtf.

At this point, I'm screwed. I have no DDE, my car is sitting completely immobile because it can't be started, and all I can do is hope that at some point, he sends my DDE back to me. I highly doubt that'll be the case since it's been so long and since I'm calling him out now on a public forum, but yea. Absolutely do NOT do business with this guy if you need a DDE fixed, he was insanely unprofessional with my indy and completely ignores all of my messages.

Funnily enough, too, he increased his price to $599 on eBay, and updated the auction to read 3-7 business days regarding the turn around time - all after our first messages to each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Contact Ebay. Get them involved and they'll put pressure on him to at least send your DDE back and refund you. Probably best course of action before too much time goes by. If he has good feedback as you say, you will have an "Ebay purchase guarantee" applicable purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
phan
Private
Rep

I haven't paid him yet, he just has the DDE. After it would have been fixed, I'd pay through his auction and he'd send it back fixed and ready to go.

I don't know how much help they'd provide considering I haven't purchased anything yet, though, I have all of my eBay messages to this guy so they'd be able to see that I sent the DDE to him, that he hasn't replied, and that I've been trying to get an update to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

That's a tough spot. You could ask him to just cancel and send the DDE back or you will contact Ebay. They frown heavily on using the contact system to conduct business outside Ebay. But you are really at his mercy at this point. I wish you luck with it.

Googled that address and business name. No such business comes up and that address is to a residential address.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
phan
Private
Rep

It really is, and I have no one to blame but myself.

Both my indy and me have sent multiple messages telling him I no longer want his services and to simply return my DDE; the first message I sent requesting this was sent two weeks ago and he still hasn't replied. My indy asked for the same thing and that's when he came back and insisted I was being "impatient" for simply asking for an update. Absolutely insane.

Either way, I appreciate the kind words. I'm going to reach out to eBay now and see if they can help at all, though, I'm not all that hopeful given what you said and how the frown upon "outside" business.

I googled that info as well and came across exactly what you did - which is worrisome. My last resort will be to call the local police and provide them with the story + his address, maybe they'll be able to do something.
Appreciate 0