XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #1
ajpow365
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 50i Black/Black

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 50i  [8.25]
Camshaft sensors?

I started having issues w/ misfires in cylinders. So I replaced all plugs w/ NGK and Dinan coils from ECS. The problem didn't get better. A service advisor of a indy shop told me only to use Bosch coils and plugs. I replaced all w/ Bosch and no more misfires. Now ECS won't take back their coils... another story.

So misfires are gone but having semi-rough idle (can feel misfires).
I also had a torn CV boot front right axle.

Took the car to first shop. They quoted me some crazy price for the axle replacement and said something about the codes stored for my camshaft sensors and/or Vanos... were old? No clue. They didn't want to dig into the issue. Small shop and one mechanic.

Shop #2 said I needed all 8 injectors replaced at the tune of $8K. Screw that. They were a shop that didn't specialize in BMW but worked on "European cars".

Shop #3 Said they did not "feel" any issues w/ misfires or rough idle. They did, however, replace my CV axle/boot for $1100.

So yesterday, I got into my car after work and the check engine light came on and there were codes for camshaft errors.

Overall drivability doesn't seem too bad once I replaced the coils/plugs w/ Bosch.

Now the car is at a BMW dealer. I had cleared the codes so they told me they needed "check engine lights" to properly diagnose. I get that.. I think. So I got a loaner and they were having a tech drive it home overnight to see if it would throw some codes.

I just would like some overall thoughts. I do much of my own maintenance. I have an Autophix 7910 which is helpful w/ diagnosis and will give me data streams from DME. However, I have learned a lesson about this issue.

Dealer diag is only $216 which was surprising. The indy shop I have used in the past listed on BimmerShops.com charges $325 for diag.

I try to avoid taking my car(s) to the stealer for obvious reasons. In this case, however, I'm super frustrated.

Also.. I've searched and searched but cannot find a DIY for replacing the camshaft sensors on E70 N63 4.4 Twin Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
yawn... Literally the first hit on google.

Yes it's a 550 and not an x5 but its the same engine.

Also, don't the N63's suffer from timing chain wear? Are you sure the sensors are at fault here?
Appreciate 0