XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
bushwa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

X5 2007-2009 3.0 vs 4.8 opinions

Hey all,
I usually hang out in the E90 area of this forum, as I have a well sorted 330i. Also have the Interface cable, bmwtools software. Do most of my own work. I'm here because I'm looking at an X5 for the wife/family hauler. Ideally, I'd get an 08-09 with the N52, as it's same engine as my car, common spares, minimal issues, and fuel efficient. I'm having problems finding one in black, that's not trashed, and clean(ish) history.

However, there are several 4.8 models with mileage in the 180k km range. Part of me thinks, what's a bit more on the fuel bill, go for it, but the practical side of me is saying 1) don't want to drive something on the weekend that will make my daily 330 feel slow, 2) valve stem seals? 3) does the wife need 350+ HP. Lol.

Are the 4.8's that bad from a maintenance and problems point of view?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hi bushwa,

I'll chime, but just so you know in advance, you will probably get a lot of others who disagree with me...

I've had my 2008 (build date 2/2008) 4.8 for 8 years (bought it in Spring of 2010 with 50k miles on the clock) I'm at 98k now.

It did have the typical maintenance issues, all of which have been detailed in multiple threads.
I haven't had the valve seal issues yet, but know they may be coming in the near future.
I do believe regular oil changes (every 3-5k) and not sitting in traffic every day (I work out of my home office) have delayed this from happening.

This said, I love the 4.8... it's a great engine for performance.

Now that we are seeing other E70s getting some years and miles on them, it may not be the worst V8 for maintenance, as many have suggested.
Certainly not the most expensive to maintain, and even the "more reliable" V6s seem to be having their share of issues.

Just my HO from a 4.8 owner who bought used and has owned one for 8+ years.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your choice,
John
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
bushwa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Hi bushwa,

I'll chime, but just so you know in advance, you will probably get a lot of others who disagree with me...

I've had my 2008 (build date 2/2008) 4.8 for 8 years (bought it in Spring of 2010 with 50k miles on the clock) I'm at 98k now.

It did have the typical maintenance issues, all of which have been detailed in multiple threads.
I haven't had the valve seal issues yet, but know they may be coming in the near future.
I do believe regular oil changes (every 3-5k) and not sitting in traffic every day (I work out of my home office) have delayed this from happening.

This said, I love the 4.8... it's a great engine for performance.

Now that we are seeing other E70s getting some years and miles on them, it may not be the worst V8 for maintenance, as many have suggested.
Certainly not the most expensive to maintain, and even the "more reliable" V6s seem to be having their share of issues.

Just my HO from a 4.8 owner who bought used and has owned one for 8+ years.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your choice,
John
Thanks for the honest opinion. Going to call my local Indy and see what he charges for the valve seals, just to see. It sounds like it's not something I could handle on my own easily.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Ive had a 4.8 for 4 months now bought w 40k on it for $13k if that helps you at all. My mechanic said the same thing about valve seals and basically told me 80k is the time that typically needs done. Love the car though will cross that bridge when I come to it. Had to get something to be able to leave the F23 at home in bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

I just joined the family, a little over 4 months ago I purchasing my first BMW - an '08 X5 3.0si with 64K miles.

When I was shopping, I looked at & test drove probably about 4 different E70 X5s. 3 of the 4 I drove were the 4.8. My choice to get the 3.0 was largely based on its pristine condition and the low mileage it has - I couldn't pass it up. The others I was looking at had almost double the miles on them, and weren't taken care of anywhere near as well as mine has been. Also, mine has the 20" '214' wheels on it and the stock running boards, so unless you notice the smaller tailpipes, mine is easily mistaken for its more muscular sibling.

While the 4.8 is a noticeable difference when you punch it, and I think I'd have preferred the additional horsepower, I am very happy with my 3.0. The X5 is a heavy beast, and some will argue that the 3.0 is under powered in it. I did recently learn about resetting the adaptive/learning transmission, so it could remap shift patterns based on my driving style. I did this and it made a noticeable improvement in its responsiveness. The prior owner was likely not as heavy in the foot as I am.

Anyway, unless you are looking for your X5 to rocket away from the stop light when it turns green, the 3.0 moves it just fine in my opinion. And if/when I need a little more pep, I slide the shifter over into Sport mode. In the end, I'm enjoying the better mileage and cheaper fuel costs.

- Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
bushwa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_BMW View Post
I just joined the family, a little over 4 months ago I purchasing my first BMW - an '08 X5 3.0si with 64K miles.

When I was shopping, I looked at & test drove probably about 4 different E70 X5s. 3 of the 4 I drove were the 4.8. My choice to get the 3.0 was largely based on its pristine condition and the low mileage it has - I couldn't pass it up. The others I was looking at had almost double the miles on them, and weren't taken care of anywhere near as well as mine has been. Also, mine has the 20" '214' wheels on it and the stock running boards, so unless you notice the smaller tailpipes, mine is easily mistaken for its more muscular sibling.

While the 4.8 is a noticeable difference when you punch it, and I think I'd have preferred the additional horsepower, I am very happy with my 3.0. The X5 is a heavy beast, and some will argue that the 3.0 is under powered in it. I did recently learn about resetting the adaptive/learning transmission, so it could remap shift patterns based on my driving style. I did this and it made a noticeable improvement in its responsiveness. The prior owner was likely not as heavy in the foot as I am.

Anyway, unless you are looking for your X5 to rocket away from the stop light when it turns green, the 3.0 moves it just fine in my opinion. And if/when I need a little more pep, I slide the shifter over into Sport mode. In the end, I'm enjoying the better mileage and cheaper fuel costs.

- Cactus_BMW
Thanks for the input. Call my mechanic, inquiring about the V8, he said something along the lines of "why you want to do that to yourself, you'll be my best customer". Lol. Didn't give me a straight answer on the valve stem seals, but more or less said it would be in the thousands. Think I'll stick to the devil I know and look for the right 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Hey how are ya? Ya I am an e90 owner too! 328i that's a weekend tool with a ton of susp mods...

Have been looking for a tow vehicle and looked at several 48i's. Was pretty set on getting one after one drive lol. Found a minty one with 70k kms, but the valve seals ended up scaring me away. Considered the n52/54 engines, but the N/A 6 doesn't have the power I want and the 35i has the associated issues with that engine...

So I ended up with a 134,000km 2009 x5 35d. This thing rocks! Only have a few thousand clicks on her so far but she pulls and is solid. Already have a JBD. lol. I am not going to mod this. I swear!!! No, really! (that's what I told the wife...)

Sure the diesel has some issues. But most of the issues seem to be emissions related and there are fixes and deletes that take care of most of the known issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
bushwa
Private
Rep

I wouldn't turn down a nice diesel if I can find one. Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

4.8 owner here with 136k miles on the clock. I've had some minor issues with coolant leaks but it was the expansion tank.

Most of my issues have been electrical (my taillamps seem to have an issue with the reverse lamps for some reason) Idrive just went out. My driver side door wiring harness got all screwy once and my rear airbags blew up but other than that, not bad!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
bushwa
Private
Rep

Going to look at 2 tomorrow, 07 4.8 with 100k km, and an 09 30i with 130k km. The o7 is $1000 less.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
T_N_C
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E63 M6

Not bashing on anyone's 6cyl models, it's just my humble opinion.

The X5 is awesome in V8 form and even though I've never driven in a 6, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure the X5M is even crazier!

I was a huge E39 guy and had owned both the i6 and V8 variants and it just doesn't compare when it comes to the feeling of the car. Forget the HP/TQ figures I'm just talking about the feel of the car is so much better in a V8. Especially on the highway it's so happy just cruising down the road.

I got my 07 4.8i off a friend who moved to Hawaii and was in pretty rough shape (broken AC, oil leaks here and there, and the infamous VSS smoke among many cosmetic flaws and wear and tear of a 11yr old BMW)

I'm a weekend mechanic and slowly been fixing the x5 and all that I have left is the VSS which I will tackle when it gets a bit cooler.

I've been pretty happy with working on it though, plenty of space, lots of DIY and info available and the parts I tried to use OE and OEM when possible but China parts are pretty hard to ignore and I've had good luck with most of them (mostly plastic trims and misc stuff)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_N_C View Post
Not bashing on anyone's 6cyl models, it's just my humble opinion.

The X5 is awesome in V8 form and even though I've never driven in a 6, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sure the X5M is even crazier!

I was a huge E39 guy and had owned both the i6 and V8 variants and it just doesn't compare when it comes to the feeling of the car. Forget the HP/TQ figures I'm just talking about the feel of the car is so much better in a V8. Especially on the highway it's so happy just cruising down the road.

I got my 07 4.8i off a friend who moved to Hawaii and was in pretty rough shape (broken AC, oil leaks here and there, and the infamous VSS smoke among many cosmetic flaws and wear and tear of a 11yr old BMW)

I'm a weekend mechanic and slowly been fixing the x5 and all that I have left is the VSS which I will tackle when it gets a bit cooler.

I've been pretty happy with working on it though, plenty of space, lots of DIY and info available and the parts I tried to use OE and OEM when possible but China parts are pretty hard to ignore and I've had good luck with most of them (mostly plastic trims and misc stuff)
Nice work restoring that X5 back to her former glory. VSS are a huge job, best of luck when you tackle that one.

Agreed on the I6 vs. V8. I crossed shopped the LCI versions (N55 & N63) years back but the V8 won me over. Just road-tripped this past weekend and even all loaded up with kids and gear, it's such a great HWY cruiser (I have the 50i). Seems like endless passing power at high speeds, mountain passes, etc. Most here say that's where you notice the difference w/ the V8 is on the open HWY.
Appreciate 0