XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #23
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
Straight pipes aren't for everybody, they're loud, obnoxious and drone like crazy... if you're looking to make your civil and quiet X5M sound like an animal then straight pipes is the way to go, especially if you have catless downpipes...the sound of those turbos spooling is pure sex!

75% of people on the street hear me coming before they see me and shake their heads covering their ears...the other 25%(gear heads, car enthusiasts, hot chicks) stare, wave and all say it sounds sick!
Straight piping the valved line in the stock exhaust muffler was suggested and done by other members. Is this route quieter than straight pipes when the valves are opened? From my understanding; it should be straight pipes in M mode but when M mode is not engaged the straight pipes will be closed and the all exhaust would be routed through the stock muffler resulting in stock sound. Seems to be the best option to me if thats how it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

[QUOTE=XX5Monster;20137571]Yeah Cattivo but it clearly doesn't sound or look as good of the Fabspeed either so I guess you get what you pay for. Your straight pipes might of been less than the Fabspeed exhaust itself but $1,400 alone for the Akra tips are wayyyy overrated and more than I spent on my entire Fabspeed system./QUOTE]

Do you seriously think anybody gives 2 shits if you have a shiny exhaust??? what do you think people are going to lay down on the sidewalk when they see you coming...yup he's gotta shiny overpriced set of straight pipes with 2- $40 resonators he paid $1400 forsmh

FWIW I paid $0 for my straight pipes and the tips, I hope they bought you dinner before they bent you over
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Straight piping the valved line in the stock exhaust muffler was suggested and done by other members. Is this route quieter than straight pipes when the valves are opened? From my understanding; it should be straight pipes in M mode but when M mode is not engaged the straight pipes will be closed and the all exhaust would be routed through the stock muffler resulting in stock sound. Seems to be the best option to me if thats how it works.
I've done that and it sounds a lot better than stock...just get a #12 gauage copper wire and tie the valves open...you can see pics in my build thread

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1127923&page=3
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #26
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I've done that and it sounds a lot better than stock...just get a #12 gauage copper wire and tie the valves open...you can see pics in my build thread

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1127923&page=3
No no i mean cutting open the exhaust. Inside the muffler shell you can straight pipe the valved exhaust. The result will be straight pipes when the actuator us engaged.

Check it out

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973042

EDIT

Been planning on doing this for a while but my Megan racing with catless DPs sounds so good.

Last edited by StatenEye; 06-21-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #27
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

^This is exactly what I was leaning towards until I came across Cattivo setup. I do like the sound of it but like he said, it's not for everyone and can be quite loud. I would know because I sort of straight piped my C63 AMG and while I loved it initially, it wore of rather quickly. The thing was monstrous at all times. After I had the resonators put back in and left the mufflers out and thought it was rather decent. With the straight pipe, the burps when downshifting or slowing down were INSANE. I missed those after having the resonators put back in.

Anyway, for the X5M, I think the link above might be my best bet. More or less normal without the M mode and beast with the M mode. Although, I rarely drive in M mode so I'd like a deeper rumble even when not in M.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #28
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Well you clearly missed the point Cattivo and apparently can't read cause I said I paid less than $1400, much less actually for doing work for them on the forum so I didn't get bent over but you did get " STRAIGHTPIPED" literally Obviously people aren't laying on the sidewalk trying to see it but like most car enthusiasts they a lot of times want to see it and have had more than a few people look at it. Your driving a nice M around and have it sounding like a modified shit box like its a old hot rod that most people like YOU said including YOURSELF thinks its stupid obnoxious. I highly doubt you have any hot chicks waving at you and are also the same people shaking heads covering there ears like wtf is that! I would also bet you're full of shit but If you did in deed pay $0 for the straight pipe and Akrapovic tips then the guy you stole them from did and feel sorry for whoever it was! Free shit that sounds like shit is still shit with overpriced/ overrated tips so if that was your goal you succeeded. Congrats!
      06-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #29
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Guys, I am trying to get a thread going that's full of knowledge and information about potential options we X5M owners have with our exhausts. I don't think it's necessary to shit talk and call names just because we don't agree with what someone did with their vehicle. Let's just leave this at that and try to put out as much actual useable information we can, so this thread can also serve future members.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #30
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Anyways, KSA if you want to know what it will sound like in non M mode with the exhaust mod your sonsidering then hit the M button with your stock one and that's what it will sound like cause they are just switching the resonators from M to non M and then straight pipe for M mode. It will still have that higher pitch sound and not so much of a deeper rumble. If you want that than the Fabspeed or another one similar is what you would have to go with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
      06-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #31
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks man, I am looking into this option here at the moment;

I emailed the link to my exhaust guy to see what he thinks of it and how it would go. Even though there is only one little video in that thread with this mod, it sort of gives me an idea. I feel like this would be the most cost efficient mod where the car doesn't sound too loud but just right. I hate drone etc so I really don't want that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #32
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

Ksa, I was just trying to assist you with your upgrade since I spent lots of time on this subject prior to buying mine. I didn't want to get into an argument on the forum but Cattivo decided to take a shot at me about what I paid for my exhaust when all I was doing was telling you about my experience so I responded back. I have nothing else to say to him about this subject.
      06-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #33
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

It took me a while but with doing some digging I found a few videos with the exhaust mod. Was this the video you saw?

06-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #34
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I did see that video as well but not the one I was referring. If you go to this link

and I believe on the second last past there is a video of the MCB X5M ripping around. That I believe has the exact same mod in the first post of that link which is what I am thinking of doing.

In the video you posted I am not exactly sure what they did, even though I do like the sound. I can read it says catless downpipe etc etc but have no idea what any of that lingo means. lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #35
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

There are also 2 videos here with no downpipes and the other video I just sent you has catless downpipes. There was one other I found before that I'm still looking for so I will see if I can find it. It was the best one of course!

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=973042&page=6
      06-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #36
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX5Monster View Post
There are also 2 videos here with no downpipes and the other video I just sent you has catless downpipes. There was one other I found before that I'm still looking for so I will see if I can find it. It was the best one of course!

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=973042&page=6

From my understanding the post by user WallyM5 is the mod that is mentioned in the first post in that thread. Which is what I am thinking about
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #37
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

So the catless downpipes with any exhaust will change how it sounds and how loud it is so if you watch any video with them it won't be a fare comparison. The catless downpipes definitely gives it a deeper sound and improves horespower slightly. Also can hear the turbos spool up which is really cool too.
      06-22-2016, 10:26 PM   #38
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Lol Cattivo just add a couple resonators to your straight pipes and you have a $5,000 Eisenmann system!

Ksa, order two "vibrant" resonators off Amazon. Get the 3x18 or 3x12. Go to an exhaust shop and tell them to make two cuts to remove your stock set up, and tell them to weld the resonators in place of your stock exhaust. Have them weld some new big tips or just use your stock tips. That's literally what all the big names are doing except they have some good quality pipes and master welder on the job.

Monster, you cannot say that about everything. For example, I wouldn't recommend you cheap out on your tune. Or cheap out on turbos, or throttle body, or even pulleys. These are over engineered parts and while they cost very little to make, there is a TON of R&D that goes into it, not to mention the needed machinery and materials they use for fabrication are all top $.
But dude, we're talking exhaust pipe. Probably the "dumbest" part on the car. Just make sure to run with some 3 inch pipe and not to have too many turns from the headers back. We can't replicate some forged HRE wheels so we're stuck paying premium for that. But we can certainly play around with exhaust pipe for cheap!
      06-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #39
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

^What mod do you have on yours? Is it what you are suggesting I do? If so, I'd like to hear it!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #40
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
^What mod do you have on yours? Is it what you are suggesting I do? If so, I'd like to hear it!
No. I have an Eisenmann race exhaust. However, if I was looking to mod on a budget, I'd do what I explained. Trust me, you wont be disappointed. It'll sound the same as that shiny F85 set up.
      06-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #41
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

So two vibrant resonators replace what part in the stock exhaust pipes exactly? I will try to google 3 x 18 vibrant resonators.

So I came across your youtube video and your car sounds awesome but that's with the exhaust you have presumably? From what I can tell vibrant resonators quieten the sound which isn't what I want though? I'd like a deeper, louder rumble which isn't obnoxious, not further quieten the already quiet stock exhaust. Or am I not understanding what they do properly...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Lol Cattivo just add a couple resonators to your straight pipes and you have a $5,000 Eisenmann system!

Ksa, order two "vibrant" resonators off Amazon. Get the 3x18 or 3x12. Go to an exhaust shop and tell them to make two cuts to remove your stock set up, and tell them to weld the resonators in place of your stock exhaust. Have them weld some new big tips or just use your stock tips. That's literally what all the big names are doing except they have some good quality pipes and master welder on the job.

Monster, you cannot say that about everything. For example, I wouldn't recommend you cheap out on your tune. Or cheap out on turbos, or throttle body, or even pulleys. These are over engineered parts and while they cost very little to make, there is a TON of R&D that goes into it, not to mention the needed machinery and materials they use for fabrication are all top $.
But dude, we're talking exhaust pipe. Probably the "dumbest" part on the car. Just make sure to run with some 3 inch pipe and not to have too many turns from the headers back. We can't replicate some forged HRE wheels so we're stuck paying premium for that. But we can certainly play around with exhaust pipe for cheap!
I find it very amusing when someone(monster) who has no idea wtf their talking about comes on here pretending to be an exhaust guru after watching a ton of youtube videos, he's like a puppet on a string doing all the leg work for fabspeed trying to sell a $200 exhaust dipped in chrome for $1k

Vazha you are 100% correct, every exhaust made for the x5m is basically going to sound the same unless you have catless/catted dp's at the end of the day, it's just 3'' pipe which can be bent and shaped to create different exhaust notes with or without resonators

Ksa you can't really get a good idea on different exhaust sounds listening to youtube videos unless you hear it in person...IMO you should find a good exhaust shop and have them do the same setup RobNY did to his exhaust or have them do a custom setup with a couple resonators welded in if your not looking to be to loud. With that said it's just a few lengths of 3'' pipe welded together that no one will even see under the truck

Have you tried opening up your valve actuator arm yet? I did it to my stock exhaust and it actually sounded pretty good over 3k rpm

Last edited by Cattivo; 06-23-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #43
frankenm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' X5M, 99 M3

Wow this thread ...

Megan Exhaust - 500 ... cheap you get what you pay for

Fabspeed - ~1k ... straight pipe setup pricey but you know exactly what you are getting

Arkapovic - 6.5k ... Seriously overpriced but a full titanium system - hey if you got the cash then more power to you ... they also have downpipes at 2.8k

Eisenmann - 4k ... Seriously overpriced for just an exhaust OEM doesn't even cost that much to replace.

I run the fabspeed exhaust and love the sound personally.

The thing to remember when buying pre-built exhaust systems is you are not just paying for the metal, your paying for the brand, r&d, build and shop time etc and you know exactly what you are getting and paying that damn M tax.

If you want a simple straight pipe setup it can be done for cheap as others mentioned, you can pick up resonators the piping and get a shop to weld it together but until you built it there is no idea how it will actually sound ... this would probably cost around $300-500+ for the metal, fabrication and install unless you have a shp that can hook you up for cheap.

I chose the fabspeed because I didn't want to hassle with building my own and not end up being satisfied with it ... and I sure as hell am not dropping 4-7k on something that is 100% for your ears only, the gains from an exhaust on this truck are so small you will never notice it.

The Arkapovic posts a 11+HP gain that puts it at about $590 for each 1HP increase

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #44
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep

TheVazha, We spoke on the phone about our Velos Tune and your a good dude but I never said that my statement was about everything and if you read it I clearly said most things like exhaust tips or downpipes like I used in my example. I definitely understand that when it comes to mechanical things like you mentioned, tune, turbos ect ect there is more to it than building an exhaust but like Frankenm said I knew they had a good reputation for building great exhaust systems, used good metals not some cheap shit and fabrication team knows what whey are doing. I also didn't know that you could buy the resonators and do what you mentioned either which isn't a bad idea but instead of trying to piece it together and hope that the shop I pay does it right and if not have to take it to another place and pay again and pay for more material I think it was a good idea to go with the Fabspeed setup and came with a nice set of exhaust tips( NOT OVERRATED/ OVER PRICED AKRA). Especially being that I paid nowhere near retail for it nor did I opt to go with a even more expensive one. You decided to go with Eisenmann so I'm guessing you felt it was a better idea than building one otherwise you would of did that too.